Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotunnel Delays

Poster: A snowHead
Currently three hour delays at Folkestone, along with delays/closures on the M20 due to Operation Stack Stage 2 being implemented and just for good measure delays into the Port of Dover on the A2. This being the result of reduced capacity through the Chunnel as a result of the fire last weekend.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And as a result of Eurotunnel not informing potential customers there are still problems so they turn up in their droves and can't get a train for over 3 hours! Check their website for delays and then check the realities. A lot of discrepancy. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're travelling tomorrow & I've just had a phone call warning of delays of up to 2hrs, due to only one tunnel being open still.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went through last night.. Sounds like we were quite lucky. Had a tx saying expect an hour's delay. Traffic monitoring sat nav took us off M20 early and then back down onto "back way" onto main slip road to tunnel barriers which was shut to freight and policed (didn't stop various foreign registered trucks trying to get through though). Trucks in every lay-by passed and lined up on check in slip back onto M20 literally further than the eye could see (which was prob why the Garmin took us off) but car lanes virtually empty. OH v annoyed that Eurotunnel check in screen said we had missed our crossing as we had made it on time. Transpired when we got to terminal that our crossing was no longer listed, shuttle service was reduced to every 90 minutes. Arrived 8.15pm, got on 9.15pm crossing with ETs usual efficiency. Crossing took longer, about 45 minutes, felt like we went through points on a couple of occasions, maybe to allow other trains to use same tunnel? Offload at Calais smooth as usual. Hope that gives some idea of what to expect....there was very little non freight traffic.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hopefully that is the beauty of a flexi crossing, no queuing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like Le Shuttle is sold out for Thursday and Friday - possibly owing to reduced service to accommodate existing bookings?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cstreat, I'm hoping that too wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richienotsorich wrote:
And as a result of Eurotunnel not informing potential customers there are still problems so they turn up in their droves and can't get a train for over 3 hours! Check their website for delays and then check the realities. A lot of discrepancy. Evil or Very Mad

To be fair they are very clear about current status on their Twitter feed - agree it should be on website
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cstreat wrote:
Hopefully that is the beauty of a flexi crossing, no queuing.

Once you get to check-in - Twitter indicates that this can take an hour or so from entry to Eurotunnel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go down to Cheriton junction and try accessing from there. Can sometimes skip some of the queues
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
don't they send SMS informing of travel situation? (most airlines, ferries and even trains do)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@andy, I've had them previously - whether they have on this occassion I don't know
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have had SMS when there have been problems .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3 Christmas`s ago, when there were 3 hour queues and stacking on the motorway, we drove straight up to the Flexi entrance, and were on 20mins later. Hoping for more of the same on Friday morning. Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also worth noting it will be totally shut overnight Sat/Sun.
snow report
Has anyone else tried changing the letter on the hanger with a black marker pen? Doesn't work with very many letters, but we've successfully jumped a 2 hour delay by changing an L to an E, and more recently got on one train earlier by changing an F to an E. One train may not sound like much, but they aren't very frequent in the middle of the night after you've been delayed by 6 hours with all the snow on December 27th, and 3.05am was a lot better than 4.45am!
latest report
There`s only one train an hour at the moment, so I think you could easily get caught out on that one; also pretty similar to pushing in on a lift queue, so I would have kept that to myself. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Currently enjoying the flexi-lounge, having been caught in operation stack for 1hr 10mins. Although their site says one an hour, they are averaging it & what they mean is 2 every 2 hrs. The board is currently showing 10.33, 10.46 & 12.11. The motorway way was horrendous - queued back to j6 with 28miles to Folkestone & 8-9 closed. Then to add insult to injury once we got here, we were 'gone over' by customs, checking for substances all over the car & inside too. Heyho. Euro tunnel were sending messages while we were in the jam
ski holidays
Quote:

I think you could easily get caught out on that one; also pretty similar to pushing in on a lift queue, so I would have kept that to myself

Yeah. Cheating and lying can get you some advantages but queue jumping is not terribly British, is it? rolling eyes
snow conditions
Thanks @genepi, .Anyone got suggestions for avoiding the M20 ? Is it worth travelling along the south coast, which is normally pretty bad at best, or taking the A 20 ?
latest report
Boris wrote:
Richienotsorich wrote:

To be fair they are very clear about current status on their Twitter feed - agree it should be on website

Hmm. I have a Tiwtter account, but it may be a year since I last looked at it. Looks as though it may be more useful than I had thought.
snow report
@cstreat, I would go along the south coast & approach eurotunnel from the south if poss. To be fair, once we rejoined the M20 after Ashford, it was fine too.
ski holidays
Oh, the 10.46 has just been removed from the departure board.Now showing 10.33 & 12.33
latest report
@genepi, Many thanks; I was just weighing that one up, and knowing that we must have similar routes, it`s good advice. How long were you on the M20 ? P.S It`s only the dodgy looking ones that get the shakedown !!
snow conditions
is this going to affect the overnight snow train to BSM
ski holidays
M20 expected to reopen at 9 pm, according to traffic on google maps
snow conditions
We're due to cross 6.20 am on Saturday which has now disappeared totally from the schedule, tempted to turn up for one of the early hours crossings (3.43 is the latest) rather than have a restless night wondering what's going on Puzzled Failing that maybe the overnight ferry.

Regards manually changing your hanger letter, they were coming through the trains scanning hangers (and number plates) at Christmas/New Year so I expect they've got wise to this practice!
snow report
@Nick D, Changing your hanger letter would have security and safety implications, so the ANPR should pick it up, but maybe not if they scan onboard as well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cstreat, Indeed but unsure if there's ANPR after check in? Think its more a case of stopping queue jumpers.
ski holidays
Nick D wrote:
We're due to cross 6.20 am on Saturday which has now disappeared totally from the schedule, tempted to turn up for one of the early hours crossings (3.43 is the latest) rather than have a restless night wondering what's going on Puzzled Failing that maybe the overnight ferry.

I thought the tunnel was closed this weekend for a safety exercise?

Edit: Saturday night for maintenance. http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/mobile/latest/

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 22-01-15 10:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@NoDosh, Saturday overnight its closed.
snow report
Cheers for the hat BTW, daughter most chuffed. Cool
snow report
@NoDosh, No probs, loyal customer freeby Very Happy
ski holidays
cstreat wrote:
Thanks @genepi, .Anyone got suggestions for avoiding the M20 ? Is it worth travelling along the south coast, which is normally pretty bad at best, or taking the A 20 ?
Stage 2 of Operation Stack closes the M20 between J7 Leeds Castle and Ashford, the diversion for cars is down the A20. Last night it was gridlock on the M20 at Maidstone and also on the M2 at Chatham because of this. But I think freight traffic peaks midweek as the lorries try to get through France before the restrictions set in at the weekend so they are expecting the stack to be removed this evening. Twitter is a good source of updates. Now saying there is one departure every 90 minutes for Eurotunnel.
snow report
@karin, they were scanning hangers on board when we crossed 2 weeks ago. I doubt anyone could get away with it.
ski holidays
Once you get by the lane barriers throw the hanger away.
latest report
achilles wrote:
Boris wrote:
Richienotsorich wrote:

Hmm. I have a Tiwtter account, but it may be a year since I last looked at it. Looks as though it may be more useful than I had thought.

I've found twitter to be the most reliable source of info for accurate updates, with the added advantage that anyone there will be giving on the spot genuine updates
latest report
Just tweeted to/from them - about an 1 hour delay on the Eurostars crossing - ie 3.5 hours on the train rather than 2.5. Hopefully means that the 3hr layover in Paris between the Eurostar and the Austerlitz couchettes tomorrow will be enough - even if the meal time in a Parisan restaurant is curtailed. Laughing
snow report
AndrewsPeppers wrote:
Once you get by the lane barriers throw the hanger away.

They were scanning number plates of unattended cars on the train, I think they've got wise to people trying to get on an earlier train.
snow conditions
@AndrewsPeppers, it is supposed to remain on your car until you leave the tunnel.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy