Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier - private lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm off to Serre Chevalier for in a couple of weeks and want to book a 1-1 private ski lesson to help build my confidence. I ski mostly red runs, with occasional blacks, (slowly and with little style). Does anyone have any recommendations for suitable ski instructor? I'm staying in the Chalet Simone (through Ski Miquel), which I think is in Monetier.
Thanks for your help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When we have stayed in Monetier with Ski Miquel, on the first evening in resort one of the local ski schools (sorry I can't remember which one) comes along to sort out any lessons required.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm really looking for a native English speaking instructor, preferably BASI. I've heard of Gavin(?) from New Generation(?) and have had lessons from Darren Turner in the past. Do any of the Serre Chevalier locals know of any other good instructors?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Janska wrote:
When we have stayed in Monetier with Ski Miquel, on the first evening in resort one of the local ski schools (sorry I can't remember which one) comes along to sort out any lessons required.

Thanks for the response Janska. I'm keen to get a recommendation for an individual instructor. Personally I've found having a native English speaking instructor very beneficial.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gavin Crosby is an excellent instructor (he's qualified as a BASI trainer). We use him every year for the SOPiB in Serre Che and often drag him over to the Tarrentaise for the PSB or the EoSB too. He's certainly given me some good advice and my son (19) is full of praise for him at the moment as a result of a watershed moment in the moguls of La Grave at the SOPiB last year.

I wouldn't wait until the last minute in the hope of getting him though as we're not the only snowHeads who know he's good - book him via NewGen or pm Gavincrosby here.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sugarmoma666, Gavin will be the instructor who visits your Ski Miquel chalet to sort out lessons, but like @admin says, he gets booked very quickly, so if you have specific requirements contact directly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice @admin and @Hells Bells. I'll try dropping gavincrosby a PM.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any reason you wouldn't book Darren Turner again ?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cstreat wrote:
Any reason you wouldn't book Darren Turner again ?

None at all - I've contacted Darren as well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm just back from a fantastic week of skiing in Serre Chevalier. As suggested, I contacted Gavin in advance and was lucky enough to be able to book a 1400-1600 1-2-1 lesson on my first afternoon. By the time Gavin came to the Ski Miquel welcome meeting on the first night, there were very few (if any) private lesson skis available, so if definitely recommend booking in advance.
The lesson itself was brilliant. On the first lift Gavin went back to basics and quizzed me on how skis work. This really suited me as I learn much more effectively if I understand why I'm doing what I'm doing. We concentrated on basics during the 2 hours, sticking mostly to the blue runs above Monetier, where I could safely practice technique. The focus was on 2 or 3 points, but really important ones about balance and weight that I could then practice through the rest of the week.
Gavin talked me through how to self evaluate whether I was getting my balance right and making the adjustments to my technique that he took me through. This meant that through the week I could constantly check I was putting the learning into practice or stop and give myself a bit of a pep talk if I wasn't.
Overall I felt my skiing was significantly improved after the lesson compared with previous trips - I was certainly far more confident and my average speed went up markedly. I've had private lessons before but shared with one or two other people - even though they were off a similar standard to me, I found the 2 hour lesson focusing entirely on my skiing and weaknesses far more beneficial.
I'd highly recommend Gavin as am instructor and I'm sure for years to come I'll have the phrase "oily ankles" running through my head as I ski. Thanks to those who gave the recommendation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy