Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colorado -where to go for 10 days and hopefully get fresh tracks!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I am planning a trip over the pond to hopefully experience some Colorado powder Toofy Grin

We are a group of four intermediate snowboarders, quite happy hitting black runs in Europe and but really into chasing powder in the off piste I am looking for recommendations for where might be good to go for our 10 days and any possible money saving ideas

Cheers
snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you don't say when you are going, but a couple of options are - stay in Frisco, rent a 4x4 and drive to one of the surrounding mountains that's had the most/best snowfall that morning. You then get to ski a variety of different mountains and experience different local cultures and you can shop at Silverthorne wink so reducing the need to take much with you Toofy Grin

Or you could head to Aspen, great area with four different ski areas giving plenty of choice and variety with some good ungroomed skiing to boot. No need for a vehicle as the bus service is brilliant and the town has good atmosphere. AS to powder it can be good or bad, but you should get some fresh at least in a 10 day trip.

Wherever you decide have fun Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hopefully heading out the last week in February, not considered Frisco so will look into that, Aspen does look good so thanks for the suggestion, hopefully the snow gods will smile on us and at least treat us to some fresh but you never know snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Budget?

Hokkaido, Japan?

If not, car as has been mentioned and chase the snow.

Winter Park, Loveland, A-Basin, Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek
Monarch, Crested Butte, Telluride
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Winter Park, Loveland, A-Basin, Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek

+Steamboat

Quote:

Monarch, Crested Butte, Telluride

+Silverton

Add Aspen that's already mentioned.

That should round out all of the CO mountains. Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@abc, telluride and steamboat are probably at the limits of driving from denver for most brits after a 1hr flight... although have been to steamboat and liked it myself. thumbs up for BC TO
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stay in Frisco if budget is a concern. Or even consider Breckenridge. Like mentioned earlier, rent a vehicle to chase the powder. The storms that hit CO, can come from down South, which favors places like Aspen, Snowmass, sometimes Beaver Creek, and Telluride. Though Telluride is a long haul from Frisco. Storms coming out of the NW will favor places like Steamboat, Monarch, Loveland, Winter Park. But you can have strange things happen with storms coming for the SW that can spin counter clockwise, and pull cold air off the plains, and with enough energy flow up slope and dump on Abasin, Copper, Lovelenad, WinterPark. But Frisco is probably your best bet for locating yourself for powder chasing. And if Steamboat gets the good, you are about 2ish hrs depending on road conditions from that Champagne pow they talk about.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MogulMonkey wrote:
@abc, telluride and steamboat are probably at the limits of driving from denver for most brits...

Telluride, yes. Steamboat, not at all.

No worse than Monarch or Crested Butte.

Quote:
after a 1hr flight...

? Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any of the big name facilities are going to hit Harri2000 and his for a solid $100.00 USD ticket per diem. Perhaps there are discounts for Los Euronitos, I do not know. I just know what the average cost for a day ticket is at most of the big name joints for starters. One thought............. Harri & Co. could don serape and sombrero upon entering Obamastan - the former USA (Heil Obama) and ask for amnesty from Fuhrer Obama upon their assumed arrival in the New Dope Capitol - Denver - and get it, replete with free $$$$$$$$ per day. Hey, ALL the illegals do. Just a thought.......................... Harri, you and yours work on your Latino accents and when in doubt simply say, "no comprende".

Currently Harri, there is little if any untracked powder anywhere at any resort.

A few thoughts................

Variety in terms of locales might prove your best friend whenever you wind up being in Colorado. Something here, something there. Hopefully you will have the flexibility to travel here and there. There is more snow due by Monday on into Thursday and currently the average depth mid to top is around 38"/95cm within most of the state. While there is no best place in the state, respecting your pocketbook consider - keep an eye on the greater Monarch, Ski Cooper and possibly Wolf Creek facilities as each is considerably lower in cost than any of the biggies and whether physically within each facility's boundaries or just outside there can be potential good snow - if it snows. The later the season the more Wolf Creek is favored typically and that region can get huge snow. Wolf Creek is honestly way, way..........., way out in the middle of nowhere so keep that in mind. Seriously. I almost should not mention the place. One other thing.......... there is nothing else around, just the ski station. And pick up trucks or SUV's.
If you ever go there you want to stay on the East side of the station, never the West (way too insane a drive down to Pagosa Springs). There are several regions around the ski area that can prove inviting for out of boundaries and could be assisted with one person being a taxi driver on a rotational basis. Always take avalanche precaution deadly seriously if you ever go out of bounds as Colorado snow can trip a slide quite easily as it is notoriously dry and therefore unstable...................

Monarch and Cooper (NOT Copper) are essentially equidistant from the town of Buena Vista with Cooper to the North only a stone's throw from the town of Leadville (el. 10,100 feet). Mt. Princeton Hot Springs which are South of Buena Vista serve as another additional attraction for what it's worth.
The snow in and around Monarch and Monarch Pass can be very good, again, one could play outside boundary perhaps. Ski Cooper is a v. nice little spot, again North of Leadville that is flank to a large ridge that from their parking lot - with a hike via snowshoes can reward a diligent enthusiast. The far backside of Cooper might offer some untracked snow, certainly higher up on the ridge that is serviced from the facility via snowcat. Or snowshoe. I'd be lost in a given winter here and there without mine............... If Harri & Co. decide upon Cooper he should get back to me as I know the best hotelier in Leadville.

There are numerous open areas around Loveland, East of Eisenhower Tunnel (1.5 hours from Denver) that can be again reached via snowshoes and one would typically stay down the road in Georgetown 15 minutes away. One can additionally take I-70 just before the tunnel up and over to Loveland Pass via Hwy 6 toward A-Basin and scope out some potential runs for free. There is, of course, Loveland itself and A-Basin, neither of which gouging the skier - boarder on their cost of a ticket. There is also Vail Pass, just West of Copper Mountain where on the South side of I-70 there exist a few locations for open snow. Berthoud Pass, about 30 minutes out of Georgetown can offer open boarding if the conditions are right.

There is also the distinct possibility of considering open areas South of Glenwood Springs (where decent lodging AND the springs itself exist - check Glenwood Springs out!!!!!!!!!!) for possible boarding exist, typically around Glenwood's mountains or South toward Sunlight Ski station. Look that up. The Glenwood Springs area is a very attractive region to consider. Even though it's not that far from Aspen, it's costs are monumentally lower.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 12-01-15 15:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
equinoxranch

Thanks for the comprehensive low down on Colorado, discovered Wolf Creek via powder hounds and we are now very likely to make the trip, looks amazing and just up our street as love the out of the way places less tourists get too. Have found good value accommodation in and around South Fork and 4/4 hire is not too pricy so think this is our likely plan

Looking at Google maps it states the drive to South fork is approximately 4.5 hours from Denver can you recommend a route as google shows 3 possible from Denver airport.

We are holding off booking anything until maybe a week or two before so that if the snow situation does not look favourable we will probably delay or head to Europe for some bog standard piste cruising Confused

I will suggest to the group that we all pack sombrero's Toofy Grin

Will update as the plan progresses!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Buenos Dias Harri........................

The only intelligent way to get to South Fork from anywhere near Denver is to simply take I-25 directly south to Walsenburg and then switch to Hwy 160 west which automatically takes you to South Fork - Wolf Creek. If you are arriving at el DIA aeropuerto, may I strongly suggest to do yourself a monumentally huge favor and upon exiting the airport (Pena Blvd) you take E-470 south (toll road) to I-25 south toward Colorado Springs and points further south. Why? If you leave the airport and take I-70 west into Denver then switch to I-25 south you are placing yourself in a very congested meatgrinder of about twenty miles uber intense "driving". E-470 completely alleviates this. The aggregate toll works out to be about $4.00 USD by the time you hit I-25 and it's four bucks well spent. Keep in mind the average Coloradan (I'm not) can't count to twenty without having to take their shoes off and their driving habits (amongst many of their unsavories) are, well.........., do the math as it were. It correlates.
If you do decide upon Wolf Creek.........., again..........., driving............. Once you turn onto Hwy 160 at Walsenburg know fully well that 160 (a simple two lane state road) is a major agricultural road with considerable heavy lorry traffic many times depending upon time of day that roar east and west on that road. On such roads I really watch my derriere.
And it crossed my not as of yet fully ossified mind that assuming you would be landing at Denver via the daily BA flight which arrives (if on time) around 15:30, by the time you are on the road it is, call it 17:00 - rush hour. That really makes a play for E-470. It also struck me that unless you are in a Ulysses mood, you're possibly going to want a place to stay for the night............ If so, save yourselves a good 50% - to - 60% cost by getting a place in Colorado Springs as opposed to Denver which puts you a solid 1.5 hours closer to Wolf Creek, or Pueblo another 45 minutes further south if you make that call. Regardless of where you hang out the first night be certain to take ALL your belongings out of your car at the motel. And if you go somehwere to get a bite, park the car within line-of-sight from the restaurant. Many Coloradans are renowned for "collecting mementoes" from others, especially unsuspecting visitors.

You're intelligent to keep abreast of conditions as same will dictate your free lance direction if and when your feet hit the ground. Do not overlook the greater Glenwood Springs area as that may be of interest to you as a possible additional choice. The large spring fed hot pool complex at the end of the day is attractive to many and accomodation in Glenwood Springs is, for Colorado, good. Also, aforementioned Monarch and Ski Cooper are best/most intelligently reached via I-25 to Colorado Springs then switch to Hwy 24 west, split at Buena Vista.

FYI
http://www.visitglenwood.com/fun-and-games

http://www.mtprinceton.com/

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 13-01-15 15:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@abc, oops 10hr flight from uk
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IF the budget is a concern, would you consider Utah over Colorado? While the big name CO resorts like Vail and Beaver Creek will charge you over $100 a day for the lift ticket, in my experience most of Utah resorts can be done at around $70 (when the lift ticket is purchased at a sports store). Food and lodging is less expensive as well. Transportation-wise Salt Lake City area is much easier than Colorado, as there are about 8 resorts within an hour drive from SLC. So chasing powder is MUCH easier there. And there is a great variety, from the iconic Alta and Snowbird, to the more remote Snowbasin.

Don't get me wrong, Colorado is great, and I love it, but so is Utah.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
equinoxranch thanks again for the advice that's really helpful.

Alenchic yes considering Utah however flights do not seem as straight forward so makes things a little more difficult and stressful, really we are going to go where ever the best snow is currently laying/best chance of scoring fresh during our trip.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want "almost" guaranteed powder I'd head to Japan....
ski holidays
@harri20000, flights to SLC are pretty much straight forward really. No direct flight but generally you touch down stateside, clear customs, collect luggage, drop it off again and fly on. Returning just check luggage and see it again back at home. Its just deciding the route you'd like wink

Should be some fresh stuff in Utah at the time you are going - we're out there then and don't normally have much of a problem finding fresh powder Toofy Grin Its been known to have untracked 3- 4 days after a big storm. Last year we had nearly 2ft in a day with only 300 folks on the mountain Madeye-Smiley Dryer than the CO stuff too.

But as @kitenski, Japan for virtually guaranteed powder.
snow conditions
Bones wrote:
@harri20000, Madeye-Smiley Dryer than the CO stuff too.

Not necessarily, despite what the UT vehicle license plates may say. I grew up in UT, learned to ski there. Ski there quite a bit still. But to date, the lightest, driest powder I'ver ever skied was in CO. However, YPMCMV (Your Powder Moisture Content May Vary)
ski holidays
@Bones now I have looked into it more closely Utah is a definite possibility I particularly like the sound of Solitude

This trip will be very much a combination of looking at the cost/availability of flights and accommodation a couple of weeks ahead and then current conditions combined with taking a gamble on the future weather to hit each region and a load of luck!

I have been researching Niesko as hear it is amazing and a powder factory snowHead again the problem with Japan is the serious travel required to get there and its impact of this on our allocated time away, my wife will only put up with so long ! rolling eyes

@kitenski can your recommend any specific accommodation in Niesko and best ways of getting there ?
ski holidays
@harri20000, these guys will sort it out inc flights, transfers etc http://www.japanskiexperience.com/

They are who we used, stayed in lower Hirafu, short bus ride to the slopes
ski holidays
try to get over to copper mountain, loved it there, beaver creek was also a fantastic place. lets be honest, its Colorado, you can't go wrong.
snow conditions
I stayed at Fireside Inn, Breckridge (http://www.firesideinn.com/) a few years ago. Run by an English ex-SAS chap and his wife, it offered great value for money accommodation and was a 5 minute stroll to both the town and lifts. As well as hearty breakfasts, there's a lovely communal area round the fire for recounting tails of derring-do at the end of the day!!
ski holidays
its paradise. been a while since i was there mind. we were lucky as ski sunday was on from beaver. quite a circus but good fun all the same. must be 25 years ago now.
latest report
Spent 10 days in Beaver Creek over New Year. We were fortunate with the snowfall in December after almost going to the Alps. Not cheap though!

BC resort whilst nice, is very family orientated, and so very sleepy.
snow conditions
I was in Steamboat last weekend for three days of skiing (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). It was a holiday (Martin Luther) weekend so was pretty busy. We had a great time and found a lot of good snow - helped by the fact that I was staying with a friend who lives there. However, we did that by staying on the north/east side of the area (left hand side as you look at the trail map) on the black diamond (and double black) ungroomed trails - so all tree and mogul skiing. The groomed trails really needed significant new snow. Even the ungroomed trails as you came south/west were not in great condition.
snow report
If price is an issue and you're looking for powder why not consider Canada instead. I'm no expert but in my experience they have cheaper lift tickets, accommodation is slightly less and this season resorts like Big White, Silver Star, Fernie, Red Mountain etc seem to be getting as much if not more snow than the Colorado Rockies.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy