Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles with glasses

Poster: A snowHead
So the last time I went snowboarding I didn't wear glasses. Now, a few years later, I am going again and I do need glasses.

My old goggles fit over my glasses (Goggles are some Burton Anon ones - were only about £60 IIRC.)

Will I have trouble with them steaming up or anything though? Should I buy special goggles? Only going for a week so don't want to buy new if not necessary.

I can't wear contacts unfortunately as they don't agree with me, although I guess I could maybe put up with them for a few hours a day - but won't know until I go really.

What do other people do?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the goggles fit over your glasses and still fit your face, then you should be ok, though you may find they are not as comfortable and cause your glasses to pinch a bit at the pressure points. It may be fine, or not so bad that you can't make do.

What is it about contacts that you don't get on with? There are many different types available now and there can be big differences between brands and models, so maybe switching would help? Goggles will be more comfortable with contacts, though if the contacts are screwing up your eyes, you won't be any better off...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Scarlet - my optician has tried me with many different contacts but they are very uncomfortable and don't move with my eyes etc so get blurry and distorted vision. Incredibly frustrating as I really want to be able to use contacts sometimes!! I may sit here for an evening with my Goggles on and see how they feel after a while - (will look a little ridiculous but...!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That must be annoying! I'm not an optician so can't help you there, but I can sympathise - I've tried loads of different contacts before settling on my current ones, and they're still not perfect but I can wear them all day and see adequately for sports use, but my problem is different to yours.

You can buy special over the glasses (OTG) goggles, but I don't think there's any difference apart from how they fit over glasses. You could always try some out in a shop to compare to your current ones.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also, there are quite a few other threads on OTG goggles on here that might help you. Here's a fairly recent one: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=108528
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
With an OTG goggle you have a small notch cut out the side of the frame where the arms of your glasses sit, this takes the pressure/pinch off when wearing your glasses under your goggles.

The other option if contacts aren't working for you is to get an Insert that will sit in the frame of your goggles
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds like contacts are out so your options are goggles over glasses (sounds like free for you) or goggles with prescription inserts (which are expensive).

Get yourself a box of Fog Buster wipes. They make a massive difference to steaming of your glasses under the goggles.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I normally wear contacts for skiing, but on one day last year I had my Reactions glasses on and found that they tinted even in poor light and that, combined with the tint on my goggles really affected visibility - it turned flat light and cloud into something worse. It's not something I notice on sunny days, but I have heard that reactions lenses are affected by cold as well as light which may explain it. Not a problem if you have plain lenses, but something to be aware of; I'm probably switching to plain lenses this year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You will have steaming up problems if you ski and get hot. That happens when you stand still - as for when you run it goes away. I briefly lift my goggles when starting and the damp goes away quickly.

I have not found an other way - but still stick to my glasses. I have not had any of the other problems mentioned her.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JanieS, Try walking around and exercising at home with glasses and goggles on. If there are discomforts, you can try and resolve them with careful cutting, e.g. to make way for the arms of the glasses. If they mist up, then they are likely to do so not the slopes too.

I cant wear contacts for skiing either, and I did find goggles misting up excessively. I now use goggles with an extractor fan, which help enormously. As far as i am aware, the only manufacturer is Smith - check out their website. Not cheap, but better than blind skiing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've seen a couple of people with tinted visors on their helmets, which they can raise and lower over their specs. could that work?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just going to leave this here as a test
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
simple and effective:

where them over your glasses and note where the arms are pinched by the foam....use some nail scissors to cut a small channel of foam away and your glasses will not get pinched.
The slight extra ventilation will mean they dont steam up either
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you for all the helpful responses everyone. I shall try what you suggest @peterkct.

Thank you for repeating your advice @rungsp - sorry for asking you to! (just saw in the linked thread you recommended the same!) I will take some small nail scissors and have a go at this is I have any problems as it seems the best, and cheapest!, solution.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@HutToHut, good idea, but in the right (wrong) weather conditions you need a de icer on the glasses. In such weather conditions you can not use this system. (maybe now a days you can get them with electrical heating like in the car?) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@JanieS, expensive-ish and excellent solution = oakley canopy - I've worn glasses since I was 7, and have been through dozens of otg goggles - still use brilliant smith otg goggles of 20 year vintage - and incidentally these resemble top end goggles of today - had terrible scott otg two years ago - and terrible after sales service from scott - the photo chromatic layer separated and the goggles went back ... And then nothing ... Rubbish. Latest are the canopies from oakley with fire iridium lens - absolutely wonderful - highly recommended otgs.
snow report
I now wear contacts under goggles but I have goggle inserts too, with just my distance vision prescription. They were not super expensive, though I can't remember how much. Cheaper than a new pair of fancy goggles, that's for sure. I had them made by an optician in Albertville, in the big shopping centre.
latest report
@Hyst, skied in it this week. Keeping my head warm was not a problem.
snow conditions
Hi,

I bought a pair of Oakley L-Frames when I first started skiing/snowboarding, to fit over photochromic sunglasses (not specifically being cheap, I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy skiing/snowboarding Cool). Although my eyesight isn't so bad that I have to wear glasses when skiing, if I want to, I can wear 'em under the L-Frames.

Btw, something worth remembering when selecting goggles is, if the maker also make goggles for motorcyclists, hardly anyone's buying motorcycle goggles this time of year. I bought my L-frames over the Net from an off-road equipment place in Wales and got 'em wa-a-a-ay cheaper than buying 'em from a ski equipment seller. Madeye-Smiley

Hth.

Regards,
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy