Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Flight Deck

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Anyone got any experience with Oakley Flight Deck? Good Bad? Best lens tint for flat light?

Cheers

Steve
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not yet; I'll let you know in a month or so's time!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I started another thread on this a while back! I haven't tried them on the mountain yet (2 weeks to go unless I get a sneaky session in here in Scotland) but out of the box they seem awesome. This has been backed up by a couple of snow heads that have used them properly.

I have quite a big head so they fit great and the peripheral vision is superb compared to my last goggles. I got the black iridium and persimmon lenses. One for bright and one for low light conditions. I expect the usual oakley lens quality.

In summary of you like the top gun styling I doubt you'll be disappointed!

M
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes checked out the free trial in avoriaz and the lenses are really good with 3 main options, flat, overcast and sunny, did steam up a bit but ok once you were moving
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies.Going to order, but just got to decide what lens to order now. Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For flat light, I went for the Hi Yellow lens on my Canopys - used in anger couple of weeks ago in Val and they're the best flat light lens I've ever used - significantly better than something like persimmon IMHO, and still worked pretty well in variable conditions too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am concerned about the full sun performance with the HI Yellows. I cant afford a second lens yet. I was thinking of the HI Persimmon.
Either that or get the HI Yellow, and continue to use my old goggles in full sun until I can afford another lens.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're after one lens to rule them all, then Persimmon is probably a good choice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ringingmaster, the HI Yellow lens is good for flat light (full overcast days) but once the sun starts coming out, even just a bit, I have to switch to another lens because I'm blinded by the amount of light transmitted by the HI Yellow. if you have dark eyes (brown or black) you may still be comfortable with them when the sun starts to come out but they are absolutely not suitable for full sun. The HI Persimmon is also not suitable for full sun but can be used in brighter conditions than the Yelllow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways, if he wants one lens to rule them all then perhaps the famous Bolle Modulator lens that so many snowHeads swear by.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why am I so indecisive?

My current goggles are Bolle, and always got on well with them. I think they were about £30 from TK MAX, They look identical to this, but without the modulator lens.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bolle-Nova-Goggle-Modulator-Citrus/dp/B00J3UKHDS?tag=amz07b-21

I thought I wanted a replicable lens, and really liked the Flight Deck but not sure I want to pay close on £180 for the goggles plus a spare lens.

Decisions Decisions.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ringingmaster wrote:
Why am I so indecisive?

Because you want new toys and are sucked in by branding, marketing and hype... just like the rest of us Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero_G wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:
Why am I so indecisive?

Because you want new toys and are sucked in by branding, marketing and hype... just like the rest of us Madeye-Smiley

Yup

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The persimmon lens is normally the cheapest one in the Oakley range, you can pick up Flight decks with the persimmon lens for about a hundred. I'd disagree with Zero-g about it not being suitable for strong sun, I used that lens for years in all conditions and its a great all-rounder - I'd had no problems even on cloudless bluebird days, and worked down to pretty flat conditions before struggling. I don't have any particular issues with eye sensitivity, but I wouldn't say I have particularly dark eyes either... If you like the Flight Decks then I say go for it - you can always pick up a bargain lens later - I got the Jade Iridium lens for my Canopys in an end-of-season sale for about 30% off.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ahhh, the Jade Iridium lens, that's my fave full sun lens. It's amazing and provides a very natural colour cast too. I have pale green eyes and am quite light sensitive, so this lens is the bomb.
ski holidays
After many years of Scott, Oakley and Bolle offerings never really quite fitting- I borrowed my 8yo son's Decathlon £20 efforts.

REVELATION!

Equally as good visually as any goggles I've ever used - no faff - no worrying about scratches/losing them/lens swapping etc etc .... and they fit!
ski holidays
ringingmaster, you can buy Smith I/O goggles in a two-lens package, which is very good value considering the optical quality of their lenses and the easy lens swap system.
ski holidays
The wife uses Smith Anthems and reckons that their Sensor lenses are better than HI vision ones from Oakley.

@c44rver, an 8yo's goggles? What kind of tiny head do you have on you???
snow report
I'll be trying out the Prizm Rose lens (on Oakley Crowbar) at the end of the month, I'll report back here. I've seen good reviews for the lens so far and hopefully its a good upgrade from the Persimmon
snow report
c44rver wrote:
After many years of Scott, Oakley and Bolle offerings never really quite fitting- I borrowed my 8yo son's Decathlon £20 efforts.

REVELATION!

Equally as good visually as any goggles I've ever used - no faff - no worrying about scratches/losing them/lens swapping etc etc .... and they fit!

The problem with such cheap goggles is that the lenses scratch and break easily and often provide slightly distorted optics. I'm not advocating spending a fortune on goggles but the better quality lenses are made from polycarbonate, which is a lot more hard-wearing than plastic and can be formed into optically correct shapes.
ski holidays
I have owned many Oakley goggles over the years (A Frame, Wisdom, Splice, Airbrake, Canopy). I have something of an Oakley fetish. I want to try the new Prizm lens, and thought I would give the Flight decks a go. I have the Rose and Black Prizm lenses

Positives

1. I have a big head (around 62cm), and they fit perfectly with no nose pressure. My helmet is a POC Fornix in the XL size, and the integration is excellent.
2. Superb peripheral vision, I really don't notice the frame. Better than the Canopy's which were my previous best goggles.
3. The Prizm lenses have so far proved excellent. Swapping on the slopes with another Oakley goggle, there does seem to be something backing up Oakleys marketing machine. I can just see more detail in the snow.

Negatives

1. The frame less design is certainly more difficult to grab with gloves on, when raising the goggles. But I guess this will depend on how well the goggles integrate with your helmet.
2. The easy swap lenses, certainly are not easy swap (compared to the Airbrake for example). The various online lens swap videos, don't actually appear to complete the process of locking all the edges in. If you are going to swap lenses, make sure you lock the nose section in first. I would not want to swap the lens on a chair lift with cold hands (it is not a gloves on task). Whereas the Airbrake lens can be swapped while wearing gloves in a few seconds.

Summary

I'm very happy with them, and I think the Prizm lenses are better than standard Oakley lenses, but maybe not the major leap forward that Oakley claim.

I have come to the conclusion over the years that a persons vision, ability and attitude to risk, are the critical things for low light/cloud/white out etc. I have skied in full 'inside of a ping pong ball' conditions, and people have gone past me like it was perfect visibility. When I have asked them if they can see anything, they generally answer 'No', and don't seem to care about the risk to themselves and others.
snow conditions
Thanks all.

I have ordered, with HI yellow lens. Will report back in a couple of weeks when I have tried them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy