Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Tips for late March

Poster: A snowHead
Starting to get excited for snow season and thinking ahead to our kids' spring break (we live in the US) in the last week of March. The last two years we've gone to Val Thorens and Zermatt through partnerships with Epic and Ikon passes. Thinking we'll do Ikon again this year and try to hit Dolomiti Superski, since Easter and the kids' break is a little bit earlier.

It seems a little trickier to plan than 3 Vallees and Zermatt though just because the various areas seem less well connected, but maybe that's just an illusion because there's not an overview map for the whole set of resorts (or at least not that I've found yet). We'll almost certainly rent a car, but with two kids in tow likely with a bit of jet lag, minimizing the impedance to getting to a lift is always a good thing.

Another factor is that my wife doesn't ski at all. She enjoys the mountain vibe and food and a little shopping and sometimes some snowshoeing or hiking while we're out, but I'm trying to do a little better for her this trip. She loves hot springs, so I'm hoping to get us close to a spot that's good for that, yet still positions us well for skiing. She's not a super confident driver, so we'd probably be better off driving to a lift than setting her up to drive to the hot springs, but of course something that lets us both be within walking/bus access would be ideal.

At the moment, the best I've found is QC Terme Dolomiti in Pozza di Fassa. It seems we could try to find a spot somewhere between that and the gondola up out of town. Given that there's access to Sella Ronda, it seems like we'd ultimately have access via ski to a ton of terrain, but is that semi-certain to be the case in the last week of March? If we bit off more than we could chew is it possible to catch a cab back to our starting point if necessary? It seems that there are some buses that connect at least some of the resorts, but I haven't yet really been able to find good info on that?

Or is there just a better base camp for us with a good hot springs area? Any and all recommendations, tips, links to good info are much appreciated.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a Bus Service that runs along to valley : Moena is at one end, Pozza in the middle and Alba at the end

https://www.skibusvaldifassa.it/en

Dolomites can be a bit risky snow wise from Mid-March

filmed mid April 23 - starts in Snow at Badia and ends in Mud at Pozza (but check out the conditions at 7 mins 15 seconds!!)

http://youtube.com/v/vnd7Rkq6QZo

Short video on the Area

http://youtube.com/v/m0bjXnhGJ9Q&t=287s
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks a lot.

I think I'll just try to keep the booking as flexible as possible so I can keep an eye on the snow as the time approaches, but that looks amazing, especially for being a couple weeks later. If there's good skiing up high, a slush run or gondola ride back home at the end of the day is totally fine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always go in late March. On piste, coverage is fine, owing to their extensive snowmaking system. Off piste? Risky.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been out to the Val Gardena valley for the last two years in March. It's been too warm. As much as 15/17 degrees in the afternoon. Snowmaking is redundant at those temps. We're reverting back to December and January this season. Early season tends to be more reliable.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is Cortina covered?

That's the town for your missus

Great skiing

Short drive to access Sella Ronda (1 hr)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Snowmaking is redundant

Blithe statements about snowmaking sometimes overlook this! In late March aspect becomes critical.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mike Pow, Cortina is better connected to the Sella Ronda now.

https://lagazuoi.it/EN/notizia40-Winter-season-20212022-news-SKYLINE-the-new-connection-between-Cortina-and-Mt-Lagazuoi
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dode wrote:
@Mike Pow, Cortina is better connected to the Sella Ronda now.

https://lagazuoi.it/EN/notizia40-Winter-season-20212022-news-SKYLINE-the-new-connection-between-Cortina-and-Mt-Lagazuoi

Even better
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Snowmaking is redundant

Blithe statements about snowmaking sometimes overlook this! In late March aspect becomes critical.

What does this even mean?

The OP will have plenty of snow to have a good time. Dolomiti Superski has the biggest snowmaking system in the world. Here's a couple representative snapshots from Alta Badia (March 22) & Kronplatz (March 25) earlier this year, a very low snow season.

Not artsy, but they show pretty good on-piste conditions (AB) and a way to ski to the base (KP). They take good care of the slopes, too. It'll be firm and fast to start and slow and mushy by 11-1 depending on temps and aspect of course. This is true everywhere in the spring.

I will be walking my talk again starting on March 17, 2024.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scooter in Seattle, you've pretty much answered your own question there, by saying that the onset of mushyness depends on slope orientation...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@denfinella, I didn't bring up orientation, I just affirmed its importance. But if you'd like to take a stab at answering my questions (which arose from the comments of others), I'll be clearer:
1. what does "snowmaking is redundant" mean in this context, and
2. what about my mention of snowmaking was "blithe"?

Many folks hear the Dolomites are short on natural snow, and that's the truth but not the whole truth. Counterintuitively, it is also true that they are snow sure (on piste), due to the massive snowmaking system. That's germane to a stated concern of the OP.

Cheers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scooter in Seattle, sure.
1. I thought you were responding to @pam w's reply, not the post that she replied to (if that makes sense!).
2. I didn't take @pam w's use of the word "blithe" to be a reference to your comments in particular. I think she was making a more general comment.

I agree that the "snowmaking is redundant" claim is false. And fully agree with your other points. (Snowsure yes, good snow quality from mid March onwards perhaps not.)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I believe that @Mollerski was meaning Snow making in March is 'redundant' : "..Snowmaking is redundant at those temps..."
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, thanks, all good.

@albob, thanks, and perhaps...though "impossible" or "stupid" might be closer to the target. Obviously they aren't making snow then, we're just skiing on snow they made weeks ago.

So anyway,@relevante, you can see I'm a fan of the Dolomites. And I agree that Cortina would be a good base for your group. No idea about hot springs but there is a poster here...Luigi?...that I'd bet does.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone.

Sounds like it’s likely to be totally fine. I understand going at that time is a compromise but that’s just the unfortunate reality of being bound by school schedules.

So I’m fully prepared to ski some slush in the afternoons and have to work a bit to find the good stuff, as long as it’s out there to be found. And on-piste is definitely the primary concern, we’re not yet terribly adventurous off anyway (which, plus wanting to mix things up with some Italian culture) is a big part of the reason that Chamonix (also on Ikon) feels like a second choice.

I’ll do some homework on Cortina. Is the thinking vs Pozza do Fassa just that Pozza is too sleepy of a town? Or is it the terrain access as well?

At a glance it looks like in Cortina being close to the gondola CORTINA - COLFIERE - COL DRUSCIÉ would provide the best access to the most terrain, no?

Definitely any hot springs tips in Cortina are also much appreciated.

Thanks!
snow report
Yes, my comment about "blithe" statements on snow-making weren't aimed at anyone in particular. I was just endorsing @Mollerski's point that when it's warm, snowmaking is useless.

It's years since I've been to Cortina. It's a big, busy, town and when I was there the gondolas up to the snow were very crowded. I enjoyed being an onlooker at the apres-ski "passeggiata", with more women in mink coats than you could shake a ski-stick at, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. Though I did applaud the tasteful restraint of a trench coat in one of the shop windows which was just discreetly lined with mink....... And there were some very fine paintings and sculptures in the shops. One of the smaller, less internationally sophisticated, places would suit me fine. There are so many lovely spots. Many of them more desirable than the busy Sella Ronda pistes, with lift queues even at "low season" times.
latest report
@relevante, I'm glad you posted your questions... :
I have a non-skier with me in January ; I now know that there is a 'Thermal Spa' in the Valley as well as a (newly discovered for me) 'fly line' at Vigo di Fassa !!

https://www.catinacciodolomiti.it/en//catinaccio-rosengarten-fly-line/

Ski wise - Pozza isn't the best base in the Valley ; Canazei is - in my opinion

=== edit ====

A trip report
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158291&highlight=

From swskier :: Live TR - Pozza di Fassa, Val di Fassa, Dolomites 15-22 Jan
latest report
Just to tidy up my point re. snow making. Having made a few friends of locals in the Val Gardena valley over the years, I very much enjoy a chat and I'm fascinated as to how the place works. Essentially, making snow is hugely expensive after the massive
initial investment in kit. I was once told that for all of the cannons to run in the VG valley alone for 24 hours, it would cost Euro 30k just in water and that was a few years ago. Combine that with the cost of electricity and the numbers are eye watering. Therefore the artificial snow is only used to top up what falls out of the sky. If not enough falls, then they're playing a numbers game, given that no snow is a catastrophe on many levels. Interestingly, the 'best' snow for skiing allowing for performance, durability etc. etc. is a mix of natural and artificial. Not all of one or the other.
Back to the March/temp question. They'd have no issue with running the cannons in March if the temperatures stayed cold enough. Running cannons with the temps above zero would simply be a huge waste of money.
snow report
Snowmaking is so important in the Alta Badia they even have an 'app', so you can see what is in production

https://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/italian-alps/snowmaking-report-alta-badia.html
snow report
@albob Yeah, looking at the map that makes sense. Thanks for the links.
snow conditions
Dollies in March will be fine.

Best fakesnow system in the world.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Have you actually read any of the above?? rolling eyes
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
Having made a few friends of locals in the Val Gardena valley over the years, I was once told that for all of the cannons to run in the VG valley alone for 24 hours, it would cost Euro 30k just in water and that was a few years ago. Combine that with the cost of electricity and the numbers are eye watering. Therefore the artificial snow is only used to top up what falls out of the sky. If not enough falls, then they're playing a numbers game, given that no snow is a catastrophe on many levels. Interestingly, the 'best' snow for skiing allowing for performance, durability etc. etc. is a mix of natural and artificial. Not all of one or the other.

To top up? Why then are the snow cannons -across-the Alps ánd Dolomites- switched on already around 15 November?
Topping up? They use it mostly as a very firm and thick base!
snow report
relevante wrote:

At a glance it looks like in Cortina being close to the gondola CORTINA - COLFIERE - COL DRUSCIÉ would provide the best access to the most terrain, no?

Definitely any hot springs tips in Cortina are also much appreciated.

1. Everything involves a schlepp in Cortina (that's what the passegiata is). I would get used to the idea of using the bus (and get the bus app) ie choose the best accommodation first (near a bus stop!). The ski run down to that gondola may not be open by March and Socrepes would be better for access to ski terrain with bus into town and up to 5 Torri and Falzarego.

2. I don't know of hot springs. Some hotels have spas etc https://www.dolomiti.org/en/cortina/companies/wellness.

Cortina is great imv! Especially if you like views...
ski holidays
Ah yes, I'd not thought about busses as we had a car (and were only passing through - it was not primarily a skiing holiday - I was with three people who did not ski and just left them in a mountain restaurant and went off on my own for a few hours). I recall it was VERY cold in Cortina - all those mink coats on display in the passeggiata did not seem redundant at all.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Have you actually read any of the above?? rolling eyes

They just post random 'cr*p'
snow conditions
@Whitegold can be annoying (especially about Brexit) but he doesn't post "random crap" and if he does, at least it has the inestimable advantage of being brief random crap.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
@Whitegold can be annoying (especially about Brexit) but he doesn't post "random crap" and if he does, at least it has the inestimable advantage of being brief random crap.

But it is super annoying if they only post 2 points... what is going on!?
latest report
my bad, it was three points and he is Jeremy Clarkson:-
1. Dollies in March will be fine.
2. Best fakesnow system.
3. In the world.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:

To top up? Why then are the snow cannons -across-the Alps ánd Dolomites- switched on already around 15 November?
Topping up? They use it mostly as a very firm and thick base!

To produce base ice which will chill the natural when it falls. rolling eyes The temperatures must be in the minuses for this to be happening now? There's no point in taking two words literally to the point of stupidity.

This is getting boring now. OP, go wherever you like in March and have a lovely time, safe in the knowledge that snow cannons will poo-poo miracles for you. wink
ski holidays
If hot springs weren't your primary criteria, I'd suggest Ortisei as a great base. It's a really pretty town with plenty of shopping, albeit smaller than Cortina. There is tons of easily accessible winter walking esp from the funicular railway, in addition to the Alpe di Suisi gondola & the Seceda tramway, both of which offer the most stunning views. The buses in Val Gardena are far more frequent than in Alta Badia & it's an easy ride down to the city of Bolzano for sightseeing & more extensive shopping.
snow conditions
We stayed in Cortina this March and had terrible conditions. We skied the Sella Ronda one of the days and a lot of it was slush and it was far too warm. Last season was particularly bad and its a gorgeous place but I’m not sure I’d go again in March.
snow report
On the above, it was far to warm for any snow making this March…
snow conditions
I don't think there are any natural hot springs in the Dolomites. AUSTRIA has lots of spa towns and the Gastein valley has great skiing and great natural hot spring spas.
snow conditions
Hello, I also love thermal baths and spas. If you want to mix that with easy access to the sella ronda skiing I would recommend either canazei or Ortisei. In canazei you have spa dolaondes , very close to the main gondola, this is by far our favorite spa, at certain times they create currents in the pool and little waves, so much fun. This spa is big , very clean and you can get treatments packages for extra pampering Very Happy .

In Ortisei you have Mar Dolomit spa , which is your normal spa with indoor outdoor pool, sauna and steam baths. I personally would pick Ortisei , it is a perfect base for non skiers, lots of walks, good public transport and close to the region capitol Bolzano which is a beautiful town to explore.

With both resorts, the skiers can use public transport to access the main gondolas, no need for her to drive.
ski holidays
@Harrow lady, You certainly know your way around Ortisei. Smile
ski holidays
Bormio?

https://www.bormio.eu/en/wellness-and-relaxation

https://www.bormioski.eu/en/ski-and-spa-bormio/
latest report
relevante wrote:

It seems a little trickier to plan than 3 Vallees and Zermatt though just because the various areas seem less well connected, but maybe that's just an illusion because there's not an overview map for the whole set of resorts (or at least not that I've found yet). We'll almost certainly rent a car, but with two kids in tow likely with a bit of jet lag, minimizing the impedance to getting to a lift is always a good thing.

Thanks!

The map you were looking for:

https://www.bergfex.com/sellaronda-dolomiten/panorama/

snow conditions
luigi wrote:

The map you were looking for:

https://www.bergfex.com/sellaronda-dolomiten/panorama/

That is outstanding, thank you!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy