Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ice + Runway =

Poster: A snowHead
Just received a text off my brother.

"Just letting you know that our plane has skidded off the end of the runway at Inverness. I am ok but shook up. Just wanted to let you know we are ok, and keep your eyes on the news"

Shocked Shocked Shocked

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good job the ground was frozen or those wheels would be a lot deeper in the mud.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More pictures on Inverness airports Twitter account.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was looking at a ski holiday this weekend leaving from Inverness, maybe bump that one down the queue of possibilities a bit!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ooops!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Slick serfice ? NehNeh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike-H wrote:
Good job the ground was frozen or those wheels would be a lot deeper in the mud.

OTOH if the ground had not been frozen there probably would not have been ice on the runway, and the aircraft would not have skidded from it. In my Air Force days we aimed to leave the runway ice free. I wonder what current civilian practice calls for.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That must've been scary. I used to like watching the plane shows 'Airport' or Airline - you know the ones. They always were talking about the runway being kept cleared as the most important thing - when it snowed. I imagine they must have to keep it ice free?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Inverness Airport are saying that the surfaces had been treated and other aircraft had used this taxiway. They are not speculating as to the cause of the incident. Either they found a bit that had been missed or there is more to this than meets the eye.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bobalexander1983, we were looking at leaving from Inverness too, as it is only about a half hour along the road and Inghams are now flying out of it to Geneva once a week. Thought it would be really handy. When we compared the exact same holiday (dates/resort/hotel) leaving from Edinburgh there was a (further) flight supplement of £200pp, making the holiday for the OH and myself £400 more expensive Shocked
Unsurprisingly we opted for the drive to Edinburgh (7-8hrs return now with the average speed cameras on the A9). Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-30877788
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Look at those propellers! I didn't realise they still made planes looking like that...! Reminds me of an episode of the Raggy Dolls...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway wrote:
Inverness Airport are saying that the surfaces had been treated and other aircraft had used this taxiway. They are not speculating as to the cause of the incident. Either they found a bit that had been missed or there is more to this than meets the eye.

Let's turn this in to a PPRuNe thread and speculate wildly. Toofy Grin

I'll go first: nosewheel steering failure.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JanieS wrote:
Look at those propellers! I didn't realise they still made planes looking like that...! Reminds me of an episode of the Raggy Dolls...

Plenty of short haul aircraft being made with propellers, as turboprops are more fuel efficient than turbofan (jet) aircraft.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The lemon is in play.
ski holidays
Don't think you can get winter tyres for a Dash 8 Q400....
ski holidays
JanieS wrote:

That's a Dash 8, isn't it? Swiss has a few in their fleet for inter-city flights. Great planes, if a little noisy. Recommend earplugs.
snow report
2planks, crossed posts.
snow conditions
I remember using the piste just below the altiport in Courch when one of those (or something very similar) was coming in to land. I didn't notice it until it was just a few feet above my head. Geez, that scared the living daylights out of me!

Edit:
A Dash-7 apparently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courchevel_Altiport

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 19-01-15 20:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Winter tyres a must for aeroplanes methinks (or at least M&S rated).

Glad they're all ok.
snow report
I bet there were more skid marks inside the plane. Shocked Toofy Grin
latest report
@Gaza, Aliens took over the controls from Seat1A using an iPad!
snow report
On typical PPrune:-

Should have been diverted to RAF Kinloss

Oh my mistake - can't do that anymore now that it's Kinloss Barracks! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
altis wrote:
The lemon is in play.

only if Simon says . . .
latest report
Perhaps the pilot sneezed on landing.
ski holidays
Ice + Runway = Skidmarks I reckon.
snow conditions
JanieS wrote:

They are absolutely horrible to fly in.You feel very aware you are so high up as it bounces and swerves all over the place.
snow conditions
Hmmm ... one wonders whether this was before or after FlyBe decided to stop flying to Inverness from February (having only started at the back end of last October rolling eyes) ... Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy