Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there a good Family Skiing Deal in Banff?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My kids are 7 and 10 years old. Last year my wife and the kids planned a trip to Banff. We had an absolute incredible time, but sort of the blew the budget. I've just made flights to go again this year in March, however, we would like to try and not spend as much as we did last year. Naturally, I think the biggest hit to our budget was ski school, rentals, lift tickets, hotel, etc.. Does anyone happen to know of some deals they would suggest for skiing around Banff? There seems to be a ton of deals out there, but it is very difficult to understand whether there is one that really rises to the top. Any guidance is really appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you need to get your spreadsheet out @JPW! We had family from the UK come visit at Christmas and there were a number of permutations. Ski hire at the hill, for example, is much more expensive than in Banff or Canmore (and the service at the hill much worse). But, the hills have all in packages that cover a pass, lessons and rental. In the end we plotted it all out based on number of days they were skiing, how many lessons they wanted and hassle factor (didn't want to be hiring skis every day etc).

When in March are you coming and for how long? If you're coming after mid March you'd probably benefit from buying an unlimited end of season pass (Spring pass). Both LL and SSV sell these. A family pass is around $800. If you're skiing a week of more that starts to become great value.

Have you booked accommodation? Canmore tends to be cheaper than Banff and is a much nicer town (in my biased opinion) but there's an extra 15 min drive.

Hope you have a fantastic trip. March is a great time to come. You'll have great snow and lots of sunshine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You might be able to get tickets from, for instance, American Ski Classics (previously recommended on here; there might be other re-sellers) - we got ours at a substantial discount last time we went and you could choose to pick up from Ski Hub or have them delivered to a Banff hotel.

Not seen anything that gives a discount on lessons (Big3 or individual hills)

As @Joules2210, said, Canmore is nice, but you will have to drive to the skiing, as it's not on the shuttle bus routes!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks so much for the input. We are staying March 13th - 22nd. We would have 8 potential ski days, but it is likely we'll take a day break or two somewhere in the middle. The suggestion for a season pass in March would be incredible if we could get it. $800 only pays for 5 of 7 days for two adults at Sunshine Village. Instead that $800 could give us every day skiing for the whole family! That would be really nice if we could somehow find out ahead of time whether this is a viable option or not.

We looked a lot at Canmore and initially reserved a room at the Solara Resort, however, we kept thinking of going to the Rimrock in Banff again. It really boiled down to the indoor pool for the kids. They loved having it at night at the Rimrock. I seem to remember the pool at the Solara is indoor, but very small. Also, what made us steer a little toward Banff is all the great food. We love SaltLik, eating at the Banff Springs Hotel, and the Maple Leaf. What we need to do is make some day trips to Canmore to get to know it better for next year.

Wow, that suggestion for American Ski Classics is a really good one. They have 6 out of 8 days skiing for adults at $800 total, but our kids lift tickets are reflected as $0? They might have some kind of promotion for that age (like pay for one adult and the child is free). I'm not sure. Regardless, that is also a really good way to go, but we would have to pay up front. That isn't really a problem, but rules out the possibility of getting the Family Season Pass at a discount rate closer to March.

Much to think about...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy