Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfers from Munich or Innsbruck Airport to Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Doe anyone know if there is direct Public Transport from MUC or Innsbruck to Lech (January 2022)? I've googled but all that comes up is private taxis which are expensive and not shared trips/minibus/coaches etc.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lech/Zürs own website https://www.lechzuers.com/en/arriving says to use the Railjet from Munich or Innsbruck to St Anton, and then pick up a local bus or taxi from there. The bus between St Anton and Lech isn't coming up on the app right now, but you could ask the tourist office if they have any more info about that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get the train to Langen. You then have the option of the Post Bus or a taxi. Don’t know the cost of the taxi, but since it is not very far, it should not be prohibitive.

NB: Not all mainline trains stop at Langen. Check before buying a ticket.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sfellows, Munich Airport to Lech is a bit of a trek using public transport. You need to take the sbahn to Hauptbahnhof, then a train to Innsbruck (one every two hours for the fast trains), then one to St Anton or Langen, then either a taxi or a bus. This is likely to take up a good deal of a day. Innsbruck is a lot easier, the trains from Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof run every hour to either St Anton or Langen. Austrian railways - ÖBB include buses in their timetables see https://www.oebb.at/en/ . You might find it easier to travel via Zürich there are trains every two hours from the Hauptbahnhof there (easy link to the airport) to St Anton.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're going from Innsbruck to Lech in March. The plan was a train to Langen and then depending on the number of bags, using the bus or taxi after that. I'm leaning towards the taxi at the moment so that I don't have to involve the hotel in getting us from the bus stop to the hotel. If I were younger I'd probably attempt walking it but not at this stage of my life.

The airline changed our reservations and instead of a flight from Frankfurt to Innsbruck, now has us on a bus from Munich to Innsbruck. Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
*There are no shared transfers from Munich and Innsbruck to Lech
*From Innsbruck, for train connections, check both Langen and St.Anton as destination. Some trains stop at Langen, some at St.Anton. Never (?) both.
*You'll also need a bus from Innsbruck Airport to Innsbruck Station
*Do not use Lech-based taxi's to pick you up from Innsbruck or Munich, they are extremely expensive. Use local taxi's
*But, at the end of your holiday, to return to the airport, when it is snowing, and roads tricky, the Lech-based taxi can be -very- advisable. (we already experienced our Innsbruck-based taxi not to show up in Lech due to snow covered passes).
Remember, to get to/from Lech you'll cross two passes, and the region is very snowy!
*Taxi Innsbruck-Lech is ca. 180-200 euro oneway.
*Taxi St.Anton/Langen-Lech oneway is ca. 60 euro oneway.
*Bus from St.Anton/Langen to Lech?? Only if your hotel is picking you up from the busstop! Many hotels in Lech are uphill, or simply not at walking distance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We're staying in Innsbruck for a night on arrival day at the Hotel Sailer which is close to the train station, so Innsbruck to Langen no biggie. Langen to Lech and Lech to Langen the issue is suitcases and the hike to the hotel. However, the hotel has said they will fetch us from the bustop in Lech if we give them the bus schedule. Airport to Hotel in Innsbruck I haven't decided yet. Innsbruck Hotel to Airport definitely a taxi as we need to catch a 6:25 AM flight. (We are staying in Innsbruck 4 nights on return - another airline screw-up, it was originally 3. This kind of stuff is why I scheduled the Innsbruck days, so I had buffer either end of the Lech days in a city with lots of hotels.)

Original airline booking was 7 legs. With constant rescheduling by United at one point it was 9 legs. Currently, after two multi-hour phone calls with United, it is back to 7 legs. This time with an extra day in Innsbruck we didn't ask for at any point.. I have no confidence whatsoever that what we currently have will hold.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sibhusky, which hotel in Lech are you staying? I can check ‘walkability’ for you if you like
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sibhusky, You did check flying to Zürich?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Langerzug, I was going to suggest that too. If you are flying, Zürich is a much better option than Innsbruck as many more flights (including direct from US) and closer than Munich. There is a direct train to St Anton every two hours. The trains that stop in Langen come from Bregenz not Zürich (hardly any trains stop in both Langen & St Anton).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I looked at Zurich initially, but getting from the airport to the train station with skis seemed like a bigger undertaking, given it's a much bigger city. And not cheap. Plus initially (this trip has been re-scheduled repeatedly) the airfare plus train $ added up to more. I may still end up doing that as Lufthansa keeps dropping flights, forcing re-routing of the whole trip now 3 times in 4 weeks. Today I looked and United thinks I am flying to Kentucky because Lufthansa has the bus from MUC to Innsbruck now going to Innsbruck Central Station and the code for that is identical to a municipal airport in KY. I spent an hour with United on the issue, they never realized the problem and wanted to cancel all the flights and refund the money. which I do not want to do as rebooking with Delta now will mean a substantial increase in the airfare. I did almost resort to changing everything to Zurich. Fortunately I said I'd wait a few weeks because things are bound to change again. After I finished with them, I went to Lufthansa and that showed the destination as IBO Innsbruck, not ibo Mt. Sterling, KY. Googling IBO Innsbruck showed that as the train station, which is actually perfect.

I did look at where the hotel is in Lech vs. the bus stop six ways from Sunday and it's a round-about route because the hotel is uphill. There is a possibility of "secret stairs" based on some aerial photos, but I don't want to rely on that. We are staying at 's Edelweiss, aka Hotel Garni Edelweiss, up on Anger #145 (if I recall correctly). Sans "secret stairs" it's too much with luggage as I am sure if I rely on wheeling things, the sidewalk will be full of snow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At this point I am meeting a Viennese friend in Innsbruck at the back end of the trip who is coming via train, so I'm not rushing to fly into Zurich or Bregenz.

Between Covid and United, I have been booking and rebooking a trip into Innsbruck since November 2019. Ask me how frustrating it's been. And I planned and replanned the itinery 2-3 times before the first booking due to my daughter's work. I've started wondering if God is sending me a message.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Purely from a convenience perspective, it is hard to beat flying into Zürich. Trains every 2 hours to St Anton.

The Flughafen train station is effectively in the same building - only a short walk across a covered roadway from the Arrivals hall and down the lift to the platform. Ten - 20 minutes, or thereabouts, and you are in Zürich HBf. Depending on which train you have caught, you just might have a short side-shuffle walk from one of the mainline platforms to another. At worst, an escalator ride.

If you have to wait at HBf, there is a warm, inviting cafe/pizza restaurant on the main level, ie street level. Coffee is pretty decent. If would like a snack on the train, and don’t fancy the train food, get some nice rolls from Nordsee, and chocolates from Sprungli. Both are also on the main level.

I get that you might have other considerations, eg flights and meeting friends, that render Zürich unworkable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sibhusky,
As mentioned above Zürich indeed works well. (And bus Munich-Innsbruck probably not so easy with ski's etc. too?). The train ride from Zürich to St.Anton is very scenic too.
Slight warning for bus Munich-Innsbruck: during Fridays and Saturdays, that road is extremely busy with skiers from all of Northern-Europe and Germany driving to the Bavarian Alps and into Austria. In high-season major traffic jams occur.

Did you consider using Amsterdam as hub for flying to Innsbruck? Amsterdam is Europe's best connected city to Innsbruck.
With Transavia, a subsidiary of KLM-AirFrance. www.transavia.com
As of this season Easyjet is doing a -limited- Amsterdam-Innsbruck service too.

Hotel Edelweiss indeed is to far to walk with luggage from busstop. No useful 'secret stairs' too. Nice quiet location though, and you can ski down to Schlosskopflift! We have been staying in Anger some years ago too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I initially booked the Austria trip, we were flying into Innsbruck via Frankfurt. COVID came, I was able to cancel the trip, no loss, but it was Future Flight Credit on United. Which means I'm stuck with United. I asked about refunds yesterday, but a good chunk would be, guess what, Future Flight Credit, which I have zero interest in. I'm 70 and my traveling days are about over, especially after this trip. Naturally I have looked at Milan, Vienna, Amsterdam, Berlin, London, etc. But all the flights have to be on Star Alliance flights. There's a nice Delta alternative, but it's substantially more per person (20%).

Zurich is sounding better, but at this point I'm holding. Plus I think if I change destinations, it's the current ticket cost vs the current replacement price even though I'd need the train still.
ski holidays
Just checked Zurich. $500 each more money. It's because I booked so early that I got cheap tickets. This is how they fix those problems, I guess.
latest report
@sibhusky, Even if you have a post Lech stay in Innsbruck getting back to Zürich is probably easier than getting back to Munich (same number of fast trains, much easier to get to the airport from the main train station). If you do stick with Munich then the bus option is probably not so bad, I doubt it will be slower (unless you are very lucky with train connection times) and no need to lug baggage around Munich station. January is not likely to see lots of traffic but it is the most likely month for snow disruption. However with Lech there is little that can be done about that, if the pass is closed then no getting in or out though big efforts are made to keep the road open.

Personally if it were me (and I know its not my money) I would spend the money to make this a successful trip. The last 18 months or so have been very stressful for everyone. If you do end up going by train make sure you pay for first class, the trains can get very busy, it is worth the extra money to get a bit more space especially after a long flight.
latest report
Sfellows wrote:
Doe anyone know if there is direct Public Transport from MUC or Innsbruck to Lech (January 2022)? I've googled but all that comes up is private taxis which are expensive and not shared trips/minibus/coaches etc.

flixbus do direct from munich airport to innsbruck on saturdays, otherwise you can get the flixbus from munich centre to Innsbruck
snow report
sibhusky wrote:

Original airline booking was 7 legs. With constant rescheduling by United at one point it was 9 legs. Currently, after two multi-hour phone calls with United, it is back to 7 legs. This time with an extra day in Innsbruck we didn't ask for at any point.. I have no confidence whatsoever that what we currently have will hold.

7 legs! Shocked Shocked

What is your flight routing, out of interest? Puzzled
latest report
@Bergmeister, that was round trip. It's fairly typical for me. You figure I'm in a small town, and going essentially to a small city, so neither end is a hub city. Outbound is Kalispell, Denver, Munich, Innsbruck.

@munich_irish, At this point, the return is out of innsbruck to Vienna, then Frankfurt, then Denver, then Kalispell. All on planes.

The Munich to Innsbruck bus is I believe a Lufthansa bus (it's got a flight number) running from the airport to Innsbruck Train station. Which happens to be perfect if true. The problem is I'm afraid too even glance online at the reservations anymore for fear of more changes. Right now, United thinks I'm going to Kentucky like I said and I'm afraid to accept the changes for fear they will suddenly put me on planes to Kentucky for real. I'm hoping the destination of IBO gets fixed or at least not interpreted as an airport.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy