Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Eurostar ski train, how do you get to it?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, this will be my 1st post and it's unfortunately a moany one! I recently changed my planned ski holiday from LaThuile, Italy flying with thompson, to the eurostar to les arcs. I have many reasons for this but won't get into it now. My problem is getting to St Pancras station with my skis. Me and the missus have a set each, in one ski bag. We live near Peterborough and the east coast main line stops here going on to kings cross, easy so far. When we asked about carrying skis, we were told we have to book them into the guards van. Having tried to do this, I have found it impossible, you cannot book. I can book a cycle in, but not skis.
So, we rang customer services who said its down to the discression of the guard on the day. This isn't really very good as they could say 'no'. Then what do I do with my skis, the same for the way back. If they say I can't bring them, I'll have to leave them at St Pancras!

Am I the 1st person to try this? It seems that way with all the people I've spoken to! Maybe the 1st person to try it properly!

A mate said he carried his snowboard with him in the carriage, no one said anything. So I could risk it.

My options as I see it are;
hire skis, defeating the point of buying my own
Drive 150 miles to Ashford to get the Eurostar from there, past London on a Friday afternoon, defeating the point of going by train-crystal skis 'Eco-friendly holiday'
Risk the train, just plead ignorance. If I have a Eurostar ticket, can they kick me/my skis off?

Also found out the underground allow you to carry anything up to 2m tall, as long as you can carry it yourself. So the bus to Victoria station then tube to st pancras is a rubbish alternative.

Anyone that's done something like this before can you tell me what you did, would settle my nerves before I travel.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sstevens057, welcome to snowheads. snowHead I have never thought about this - the few times I've taken skis on a train (overground and Tube) I just carried them on. Never occurred to me to ask.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never done it but as pam w, says I'd just carry them on and find a stowage space. Actually come to think of it (whilst typing) on of my ski buddies often takes the train to the Alps and carries his skis on with no issues. He doses nothing over and above booking a ticket as far as I'm aware.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sstevens057, welcome to snowheads. Very Happy

I've carried skis on UK trains many times -- never booked - never an issue.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just go for it. You'll be fine. I've been carrying skis of various lengths on scores of trains of all types, since the 1970s, without any problems.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sstevens057, Oh yes and Welcome to The Mad House Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sstevens057, I live near Peterborough too.

Firstly whatever route are you planning to get to St Pancras? It's right next door to Kings Cross where the Peterborough trains terminate. You just need to walk over the road.

I have taken skis on a train from Peterborough but to Stansted, it was no problem. I've been a very frequent traveller on East Coast trains over the years though. As long as you don't catch one of the commuter trains it probably won't be too busy. Worst case stand with it between carriages, it's only 45 minutes or so.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sstevens057 wrote:
I can book a cycle in, but not skis.

Easy solution:
1) obtain a bike
2) strap skis to bike
3) book bike on train
4) lock bike up at St Pancras
5) enjoy rest of holiday

You're welcome Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never had a problem taking skis on a train, in fact they are often the only bits of luggage that will fit on a UK luggage rack !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serriadh wrote:

2) strap skis to bike

Yeah, like you could strap an elephant to a bike and take that combo on board.

Nice try.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Nice try.

rolling eyes

Pair of skis: similar in at least one dimension to the size of a bike.
Elephant: not similar at all.

You don't get a 'nice try' for your example.

Edit: notably, the National Rail Conditions of Carriage do not permit elephants to be transported on passenger trains, regardless of how they might be stowed. There are no restrictions on the height, depth, length or weight of a bicycle and attached baggage however (not even any specific exclusion of tandems, and I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one of those on an intercity), beyond the basic get-out clause of 'that's too big to fit on the train, sorry mate'.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Should be fine, taken my skis on east coast with no problems, on luggage rack or squashed in a corner. Planning on doing it again in march on way back from overnight train.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just go for it, as far as I am aware if you can carry it you can stow it! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never had a problem. Just occasionally when the luggage racks have been full, I have reclipped a strap that wraps around the ski bag to clip the bag to the upright luggage rack support.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I regularly go on trains with skis (especially Eurostar). It has never been a problem.
snow report
Thanks for the advice, won't bother strapping and elephant to a bike and skiing it on! Will just get on. There arent any stops after Peterborough so can't get kicked off. It is at 16.30 but going to London, so hope it won't be a busy service.

Got some seat reservations too, so don't want to stand, but will stick them in the overhead if there's room.

Will let you all know how it goes. Still disappointed with the unhelpfulness of the rail staff. Might just fly next time!
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
Never had a problem taking skis on a train, in fact they are often the only bits of luggage that will fit on a UK luggage rack !

^this Smile
ski holidays
Yes, no probs with ski bags on trains, I do so prob most years.
Worst was last March when I got a 7 30ish train from Wokingham to GaTwick, except it was a rush hour train full of kids going to school / college so had to stand in the vestibule with ski bag , big rucksack, and my warm ski jacket on, in warm March weather, at least only to Blackwater where they all got off.

Gatwick station is full of skiers humping their bags on and off !
snow report
Like others have said, skis aren't an issue. I've done it many times before. I hope that you're not going to London a weekday though, as you'll get to London for quite a busy period.
snow conditions
I took mine on a rush hour train into st pancras from St. Albans recently without any bother at all. It never occurred to me that anyone would complain, and indeed they didn't.
latest report
I meant more cause travelling with baggage (on the underground) is a pain in rush hour rather than people objecting to you doing it
snow report
sstevens057, They have to through 'screening' at St Pancras . . . not a word said about the monster ski bag . . . not even about the 14" chefs knife in my ski boot Confused
latest report
Tube is a pain in the ass because it is so busy, but you won't be stopped with a ski bag, I do it all the time. And like most other people have mentioned, Just get on the train, I will be very surprised if you are stopped.
ski holidays
Glad I read this post, I'm on the ski train on 17th jan, travelling down from Darlington on the east coast line, when I booked my ticket, I put Darlington in as the "From" station rather than St Pancras, and it added very little to the cost, far cheaper than two separate tickets. I've never gone fron KC to St Pancras, but it looks like you just cross the road. I've done KC to Victoria bus station before, using the underground with ski luggage, Nightmare!!!.

I'm staying at UCPA Val d'Isere and I have no skis for the extra 2.5 days I have skiing, so I need to decide whether to drag my own 7yr old skis along for the sake of 2.5 days or just hire some in resort (anyone know a good place? demo skis? thinking of buying some new ones)
snow report
Skis are carried on trains all the time. KC is indeed right net to St Pancras - just a couple of minutes walk from arrival at KC to international check in at St P.
ski holidays
I work in central London and see ski/snowboard bags on both train and tubes throughout the season. Really not an issue.

For anyone looking at driving to St Pancras, we've used the Lomax Car Park (Curnock Estate Branch) for about £100 for the week. If you drop luggage and passengers at the Eurostar and then park the car it takes less than 10mins to walk back to StP
ski holidays
Skis are perfectly reasonable luggage. Just take them on. Last time I travelled East Coast, I had two huge suitcases plus several fishing rods packed in a ski bag.
snow conditions
Quote:

Skis and hand luggage will just fit on the racks above your seats, but your other luggage is likely to be a problem
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just wondering if this was ok for the OP or has anyone been refused ski carriage on east coast? - travelling from Newcastle to London KC early March and cannot get a straight answer from east coast on carrying the skis, we have asked several times to be told it's up to the guard on the day, seems a bit of a risk to be told at last moment we cant take our ski bags (and would therefore miss our booked train having to take the skis home) - we have 2 double bags and I don't mind paying to book them into the guard van if only it was possible. Any advice / expereince appreciated
snow report
@migletski, are you then going to get the Eurostar?
I'm a great fan of going by train, but thought it was only really practical if you lived near London.
So, fascinated you are seeming to take the long way round - why not fly from Newcastle? Surely quicker and cheaper.
latest report
@sstevens057, Welcome to snowheads snowHead
Just a tad concerned about two sets of skis in one bag, really need to buy another bag and each carry their own wink
snow report
@Jonpim yes we are getting the direct Eurostar to Bourg (staying in les Arcs) it is probably quicker to fly from Newcastle but not sure it is cheaper we paid 149 return for Eurostar and 55 return for 1st class east coast tickets at time newcastle to geneva was 100 (ish) return plus 108 for a suitcase and a ski bag (assuming the double bag is allowed) and then 76.00 for transfer from Geneva to Bourg, plus I hate flying to the point where I often wont get on the plane so Eurostar is def the better choice for us. Tbh we usually drive and it is a great journey but my OH changed job and we lost the company estate car and are not allowed to put winter tyres on his new company car (mine too small to take skis). Just worried a bit about not being able to guarantee skis on east coast bit of journey.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
@sstevens057, Welcome to snowheads snowHead
Just a tad concerned about two sets of skis in one bag, really need to buy another bag and each carry their own wink

This surely has to be the most belated " Welcome to SHs" on the whole site - > 2 years !

..... Unless anyone can prove otherwise Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm a great fan of going by train, but thought it was only really practical if you lived near London.

So, fascinated you are seeming to take the long way round - why not fly from Newcastle? Surely quicker and cheaper.

It's surprising how much hassle it is to get to an airport that goes anywhere useful when you live oop north, the train may be a longer journey but it is a lot easier if you live near the east coast line. Booking the tickets from Darlington to KC as part of the Eurostar booking meant that the darlington to KC ticket cost only £28 return. The actual flying bit of flying is okay, its the getting to the airport, long check in times, security queues etc that I hate about flying.
snow conditions
Hi,

migletski wrote:
travelling from Newcastle to London KC early March and cannot get a straight answer from east coast

Probably because EC have two types of train, one with minimal luggage capacity and one with loads.

Simply ensure that your planned train is an East Coast electric, not a diesel; the electrics have a "guard's van" an entire coach long at the (usually) London end of the train; the chances of not being able to fit some pairs of skis and poles on are remote to non-existent. Very Happy

Hth.

Regards,
ski holidays
As has been sais you are unlikely to have any issue. However, the National Rail Conditions of Carriage do state:-

Quote:
47. Accompanied luggage, articles and animals

You may take a single item of hand luggage that must be capable of being held in your
lap if required, plus up to 2 items of luggage each not exceeding 30 x 70 x 90 cm in size.
Unless you are disabled or have reduced mobility and have made arrangements in advance
for assistance, you should be able to manage your luggage without additional help.
Luggage is carried subject to sufficient space being available in the train service you wish
to use. Luggage should not occupy seats intended for passengers; if it does so, it may be
charged for as set out in Appendix B

The upshot is, if you got an uppity guard he could refuse carriage.

I suggest taking a couple of short bungy cords as you may be able to strap the ski bag vertically to a luggage rack. Unless the train is very quiet by the time it reaches Peterborough the overhead rack is likely to be full.
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
Booking the tickets from Darlington to KC as part of the Eurostar booking meant that the darlington to KC ticket cost only £28 return. The actual flying bit of flying is okay, its the getting to the airport, long check in times, security queues etc that I hate about flying.

You can buy them separately after booking too - need to ring up Eurostar Domestic sales on 01233 617913 as that's the only way to buy their special tickets.
latest report
@sstevens057, Make sure its a direct train, therefore if they kick you off it will be KC.

Seriously though, I moved to London a couple of years ago (lasted a whole 5 weeks before I realised I need hills), travelling from Darlington, I had maybe 3 bags / suitcase and was fine. YOu should be ok, especially if you can get your skis stored pretty quick.
snow conditions
You'll be fine. Trains are easy, it's The Tube that's tricky, which you won't need. I thought they'd stopped the snow train? Last time I did it I had to change at Paris.
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, you are right: the "Snow Train" is no more. That service went out Friday nights to Gare du Nord on a standard Eurostar, then you transferred on Gare du Nord to a rather rough-and-ready SNCF train with couchettes (and bar with disco) that trundled all round the top of Paris and then headed south to the Tarentaise.
Now we have the "Ski Train": a direct Eurostar that runs all the way to Bourg on Friday nights and Saturday days. Day train is fine. Night train is horrible coz no couchettes: you fitfully sleep the night away in standard seats.
Much more sensible is what you did: Eurostar to Paris then standard SNCF from Gare Lyon for day trains and Gare Austerlitz for night train (with lovely couchette). Usually cheaper than Ski Train, and you can do this any day of the week.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 11-01-15 14:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy