Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paznauntal advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads,

Colorado skier hoping for more excellent Snowheads knowledge!

Getting ready for my third Euro trip, got lots of good information here on the first two:
1. A week in Val d'Isere in April 2016.
2. March 2022 a week in the Austrian eastern Alps (Kitzski, Skiwelt, Saalbach) and a week at Dolomiti Superski.

I have booked a hotel with half board in See, Austria for the last week in February. I will have a car. I am very used to driving for day skiing, I did this often in 2022 and was surprised how well it worked out! I think I drove 7 of the 11 ski days and only paid twice (€5).

Questions:

I know there is a free ski bus in the Paznauntal. Reviews vary greatly: from "super easy, clean, quiet and convenient" to "a bloody nightmare". What can I expect?

I much prefer not to wear ski boots if taking a ski bus. Are the resorts "boot bag friendly" (places to boot up and leave a boot bag)? I will pay for a locker if needed.

As I said, driving is not an issue. Can I expect convenient (and free / inexpensive) parking options? I do know I will need to arrive early.

I do not speak any German, will that be an issue? I can figure out a German menu if needed and pretty good at pointing and smiling.

Now the hard part, where to ski? I am a strong skier (well at least I used to be), 64 y/o and slowing down. I am a snow snob and used to Colorado snow, anything remotely hard keeps me off the blacks and steep reds. Which is fine - these days it is about cruisers (the longer the better), scenery, and a good apfelstrudel with my mid morning coffee.

Within 30 minutes:
See
Kappl
Ischgl
Galtur

Within another 45 minutes:
Serfaus Fiss Ladis
Kuhtai
Axamer
Kaunertaler Glacier
Pitzal Glacier
Montafon

Yes, a wide variety of options. I enjoy the big resorts as I have a thing for unusual and interesting lifts. I enjoy the smaller resorts for the relaxed atmosphere and lack of lift scrums.

My thoughts so far:
Ischgl - The route to and from Samnaun looks fun, and I have never skied in Switzerland. Plus I need to ride the chairlift with 900m vertical!
SFL - This looks like a spectacular and enormous resort.
See - Have to ski in / ski out one day!
Kappl - Southern exposure, watch for too much sun.
Axamer - I am very curious about the "freaky funicular"!
K Glacier and P Glaciers - Nice days only!

What else should I know?

Have I missed any resorts within a 90 minute radius?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-01-24 21:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
seems legit sölden is circa an hour away
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi! Sounds like a great plan.

I have stayed in ischgl a couple of times and used the buses and they worked well. Maybe the buses work best if you are based in ischgl because it’s in the middle of all the resorts and because there are more people going to ischgl in the morning than leaving?

Really enjoyed See. Small and very quiet. Ascherhutte is good.

Kappl. Not sure there is much parking. Nearly 1000m of vertical above the top of the gondola. Enjoyable and download if necessary.

Ischgl. Not sure what parking to recommend. New swimming pool spa looks great - Not been.

Galtur. I would drive as a long way on the bus from see.

Montafon. The pass beyond Galtur will be closed so those resorts are a long way via arlberg tunnel!

Serfaus is great. Lower bits suffer in sun but some great high and north facing stuff over the back. We’ve used parking by the waldbahn between Fiss and serfaus.

Kuhtai. Not been but linked by short bus to hochoetz. Parking at oetz very easy.

Nauders and Haideralm (Italy!) are not too far beyond serfaus.

Axamer Lizum is great. Think they’ve added a gondola to increase lift capacity. Great scenery.

Have a great trip.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be honest I'd use the bus for anything in the Paznaun valley its just easier (any time you may save is negated by booting and unbooting walking to lifts etc anyway), and actually more relaxing than driving. Regional busses (numbered 260 i think) work best as you avoid waiting for a change at Prenner Tunnel. For Ischgl probably best to avoid the Silvretta lift first thing in the morning as it can get chocker with queues, I normally get off at Prenner tunnel or Florianpark platz and walk 2 mins to Pardatscgatbahn or Fimbabahn.
See is great, especially with fresh snow, ski off the back of Furglerblickbahn for a bit or fresh powder, or the adrenaline run ski route. The run back down is a great way to end the day.
You can easily eat up 2 weeks in the Paznaun Valley. Overall its is just a fun valley to be able to ski in
Kappl enjoys the sun, nothing really challenging, just a good relaxing area.
Galtur can be a bit of a gem, keeps snow well, some great skiing (on and off-piste) from Breitspitzbahn, Weiberhimml hutte is a good lunch and apres spot. Ziggi's freeride route is good with fresh snow.
Ischgl / Samnaum is the largest in the area. The 'central' bowls of Alp Trida (swiss side) and Idalp can get a little busy at peak times of the day. Lots of options. The evening run back to Ischgl can be a little chaotic, but they are great runs and very enjoyable, ski them before lunch to enjoy as they can be empty (infact earlier this month we skied Pardatsghatto Ischgl and saw maybe 5 people on the piste only). if the weather looks bad Ischgl may lose (or not open) the higher lifts due to wind/storms, on these days stick t to See or Galtur.
Serfaus Fiss Landis, really warrants >4 days on its own so much to ski, I haven't been there for about ten years. Used to park at Schonjochbahn in Fiss. Great area but takes a little time to get around, make sure you have a plan.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've not used the ski bus, but driving between the Paznauntal areas is pretty easy – each one is about 10min further than the last. There is plenty of free parking at Galtür but Kappl can get a bit crowded (there is an overflow though). I would probably take the bus for Kappl and drive to Galtür. Ischgl has plenty of parking too, but it costs around €8/day.

Ischgl is a big area, so you could easily spend a few days there. It is worth noting that there is the Silvretta ski pass which I believe covers all 4 resorts in Paznauntal, if you choose to stay only in the valley (there is plenty to cover for a week).

The best skiing at Kappl is off the top chairlift, but it doesn't open if it's windy so check before you go there. Galtür can be a good bet in poor weather.

You also have the Arlberg which is not too far away in a car. If you are only here for a week, I would not bother driving all the way to Kühtai or Axamer Lizum. If there is fresh snow, there will usually be more of it in Paznauntal and the Arlberg.

Galtür and Kappl are quite small, so I don't know if there are any lockers. Ischgl probably has some though. If this is important to you, give the info desk a call when you arrive in Austria. A lack of German language will not be a problem. Modern phones can translate from a photograph pretty well now, or you can get an app for this, but all resort staff will speak English.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am usually happy with buses but not in the Paznauntal. The bus from See to the other places is the normal regional bus which only runs once an hour (from memory so maybe changed). It is pretty slow as it stops everywhere. It gets crowded with folk getting to & from Ischgl. If you are happy drivng then stick with that. Ischgl now charges for parking but most other places still free. Pretty much everywhere has lockers for rent.

Ischgl has more than enough skiing to keep you occupied for a week, See, Kappl & Galtür are worth short visits.

Of the other places you mention Serfaus is nearby (there is a plan to link it with See) though you need to drive via Landeck the direct route is over the dividing mountains! Personally would not bother with the other places simply too far & too small. The glaciers are at the end of long valleys with very slow access, Montafon is a long way via a long toll tunnel (Arlberg).

St Anton is relatively easy to get to ( I would guess around 30 - 45 minutes from See) and is definitely worth visiting, likely to be busy, the car parks fill up early at weekends
(again not free).

Where are you collecting your hire car from? If outside of Austria you will need a vignette for the autobahn. Now available online but make sure you use the official site https://shop.asfinag.at/en there are a number of reseller sites which charge extra.

What is your plan for a ski pass? I think the regional pass is season only and day tickets are expensive (though a lot less than US ones).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
munich_irish wrote:
What is your plan for a ski pass? I think the regional pass is season only and day tickets are expensive (though a lot less than US ones).

There is a Silvretta ski pass for Paznauntal, €387 for 6 days https://www.see.at/en/Active/Active-Winter/Prices-and-Operating-Hours/Skipass-Silvretta
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally, I can live with the Silvretta pass price, it's part of the vacation cost. If it were I were in analyse all my individual costs, I'd be existing on bread and water.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
Where are you collecting your hire car from? If outside of Austria you will need a vignette for the autobahn. Now available online but make sure you use the official site https://shop.asfinag.at/en there are a number of reseller sites which charge extra.

Car hire from Munich. I was not aware of the vignette requirement, guess I got lucky last time. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Day passes are €60 - €72. Most have online discounts. Even at window prices that is so much less than US it is ridiculous.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
munich_irish wrote:

Car hire from Munich. I was not aware of the vignette requirement, guess I got lucky last time. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Day passes are €60 - €72. Most have online discounts. Even at window prices that is so much less than US it is ridiculous.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
I was not aware of the vignette requirement, guess I got lucky last time.
You did indeed! We've seen a few checks on Austrian motorway exits over the years. The vignette isn't very expensive and there's one for 8 or 9 days that will cover your trip. They're available from all of the German motorway petrol stations as you approach Austria.

I think you'll really enjoy the Paznauntal. (NB: Tal = Valley, so it's Paznaun Valley - not Paznauntal Valley - unless you like to say 'Valley valley' of course wink)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Re the buses, we stayed in Kappl for 2 weeks last April and travelled to Ischgl maybe 6 days, and used the bus each time, apart from the last day when we drove as we were then heading straight home after skiing. The buses worked very well, and we got a seat almost all the time. However, April is relatively low season, whereas late February will be busier, and hence the buses will be too. Also, I think there are maybe twice the buses from Kappl to Ischgl compared to those from See to Ischgl.

I expect late February to be busy as it is probably school holidays for some countries. The larger ski areas will be busy, but the smaller ones may be less so (especially weekdays). If you find a need to escape crowds, it may be worth a day trip to one of the glaciers midweek, or to Axamer
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I was not aware of the vignette requirement, guess I got lucky last time.
You did indeed! We've seen a few checks on Austrian motorway exits over the years. The vignette isn't very expensive and there's one for 8 or 9 days that will cover your trip. They're available from all of the German motorway petrol stations as you approach Austria.

I think you'll really enjoy the Paznauntal. (NB: Tal = Valley, so it's Paznaun Valley - not Paznauntal Valley - unless you like to say 'Valley valley' of course wink)

The vignette fines are horrific. I‘m still scarred from the experience of receiving 2x250€ fines for „an incorrectly fixed vignette“ (1 each outward and return journey within 1 week on same vignette). It was a genuine mistake - I had bought the correct vignette, but they had changed the fixing rules since my previous visit by car which admittedly was several years prior. You have been warned! It was picked up by a fixed camera, not a manual check.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gämsbock, Use a digital one it avoids this nonsense but only use the link I posted above.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
blueroom wrote:

Not sure about online discounts but the Arlberg offers 10% off if you were born in 1959 or earlier (I qualify by a few weeks). You need to buy in person with photo ID. Not all places give this I was at SkiWelt a few weeks back and no discount, bizarrely cheaper for a day ticket in St Anton than Scheffau.
latest report
@munich_irish, I think it will be a few years yet before the pain fades enough to go back!
ski holidays
from memory the Silvretta pass discount is from age 65.... Ive got a couple of seasons to go at full price yet..
ski holidays
Quote:
It was a genuine mistake - I had bought the correct vignette, but they had changed the fixing rules since my previous visit by car
Wow! That's absolutely horrendous @Gämsbock. I've never given the fixing of the Vignette any thought at all Shocked Didn't know there were any rules and have always just 'clagged it on' a bit willy nilly...I'll have to look into it for my next trip.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy