Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark Bindings.

Poster: A snowHead
Any one used Bomber Bishops? Are they any good? I need to get some tele bindings for demos and have been told that the Bishops are the way to go for fatter skis.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kiwi1, I posted this before not sure they are any good but they have an interesting dual use...

http://www.bombertele.com/images/Bomber.avi
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kiwi1, I'm planning on getting a pair for my Prophet 130s for this winter. I haven't skied them but read pretty much everything there is on them. They're adjustable to make them more or less active, as required.

The general consensus is that they're just too full on for beginners or lighter telemarkers.

I think they're probably over kill for demo bindings.

I have Cobras on my touring skis (84mm - 190cm) and you see plenty of these on some pretty big skis here, I know people that ski them on 201cm Stormrider DPs and on 192cm Thugs .

On my everyday ski (112mm - 191cm) I have BD 02s. Plenty powerful enough IMO.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Guys. Have been speaking to the nice folks at Bomber Industires. Waiting to see if they can send me a couple of pairs accross. Sounds like they don't make a lot of excess stock.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're looking at UK distribution may make sense but as above I'd have thought the're OTT for demo bindings. You going to have some tele Nomads out at the Mondial? Hint wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, Hey mate. Won't be at the Mondial. The French Distis get that one Crying or Very sad . I will have tele set ups on the Nomads and Shamans at the EoSB.

I'm doing the free healing thing myself. snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kiwi1, On demo skis wouldn't you want some kind of release ? Thinking 'bout litigation ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski, Very true without some form of waiver.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
off topic, but ski, post got me thinking... I just bought some standard G3 bindings to start learning tele on. Am i nuts not to have gone with a release binding as a beginner? dumb question but do i need to get safety straps?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret,

Quote:

dumb question but do i need to get safety straps?

Yes you need leashes. If the ski does come off you don't want it spearing someone else down the slope. On my 7TMs which are a release binding with brakes I don't use a leash, but do use a safety strap to stop the heel piece being accidently released - as you'd loss the ski but the brakes wouldn't deploy. I have twice lost a ski where the toe has popped out of the toe piece and the safety strap acted as a leash which was good. My voile 3pin and cable bindings on my touring skis don't have brakes so i always use a leash with these just in case.
Quote:

Am i nuts not to have gone with a release binding as a beginner?

I've gone with a release binding on both my sets of teleskis (Voile and 7TMs), but in the 3 years I've been attempting to tele I've only had 2 releases with voiles once on my first day when I caught a tip at very low speed and once when skiing the Ciste gully in deep soft, wet snow. I've never had the 7TMs release properly, but have twice had the toe pop out of the toe box when falling on unpisted blacks. So I think its unlikely to be a problem. Here (in Scotland) I don't see many tele skiers on release kit, most use some version of a cable binding like yours and I've not heard of a lot of injuries. I see quite a lot of tele skiers here - they make up quite a high percentage of the skier numbers especialy compared to the big european resorts where I'll usually not see more than 1 or 2 all week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave Horsley, Thanks for the info on the straps, I have to admit when i ordered them i just assumed they came with straps in the same way alpine bindings typically come with brakes. I had a look at the site i ordered them from and that doesnt apppear to be the case and it got me thinking,

I will definately get some straps on order, would hate to spear someone;-)

Thanks for the reassurance on the release bindings, I thought the G3's would be okay but as a newby I dont want to get hurt...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, You need straps - don't be a cheapskate and use some cord to make your own, it can break ! (Wonder how I know that ? Embarassed )

When you get you G3s, make sure the cables aren't too tight, then the boot will pop out should the fall be severe enough....

Kneepads you do need. And a helmet. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Kneepads you do need. And a helmet.

I've never used kneepads and never had a problem, I don't use a helmet, but should get round to buying one - its all the rocks poking up out of the snow when skiing off piste in scotland (and the ones just below the surface you can't see) that worry me.
Quote:

You need straps - don't be a cheapskate and use some cord to make your own, it can break ! (Wonder how I know that ? )

And so can comercial ones - the first leashes I had were the 7TM coiled wire ones - I used then with my Voile bindings. The clip you attach them to your boot with fractured. The shop replaced them (with a diferent make) when I took them back.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_10_19_21&products_id=277
These broke (not bought from Telemark-pyrenees) at the rotating bit of the boot clip. I think i replaced them with a voile leash.

I use these:
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_10_19_21&products_id=276
with my 7TMs but they are not a leash they just stop the heel lever opening accidentally (if it did you'd then lose the ski but the brakes would stay up.)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave Horsley, thanks for the links, i got my boots from TP and will order my leashes from them. Interesting to hear that the coilable leashes broke, they looked pretty cool and i was going to order them, will now probably go with bog standard G3 ones.

ski, I have got duff knees and wear the neoprene type of knee protectors mainly to keep them warm. You have mentioned knee pads before but i havent managed to get low enough to hit anything with my knees and i definately wont be telemarking on plastic wink i would defo wear a lid if in the mountains but cant bring myself to wear one at MK....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave Horsley,

Quote:

I've never used kneepads

Which is nearer the rocks ? Your head or your knees ? I should say that I started on leather boots, so I have a pretty (well very Shocked ) low stance, so my knees do get very near those rocks Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

Which is nearer the rocks ? Your head or your knees ?

Hopefully my knees - I try and keep my head well away from the ground wink
Quote:

and i definately wont be telemarking on plastic

I have, and will again soon, biggest problem is your legs get much wetter from the water sprays than they do when your skiing on alpine kit.
snow conditions
Quote:

definately wont be telemarking on plastic

Chicken ! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
ski, oui Laughing
ski holidays
Job done. As of yesterday, I am a Bombertele main dealer.
snow report
kiwi1 wrote:
Job done. As of yesterday, I am a Bombertele main dealer.

Blimey - you really need some active tele skiers to get out and about on your gear this season answering questions from the masses and generating a market buzz wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy