Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski backpack - Dakine Heli Pack 11L any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all,

thinking of buying Dakine Heli Pack 11L for the OH and also a good hydration bladder to go with it. She had used cheap gelert hydration pack and it usually leaked and froze....

she mainly wants to carry the bladder and some cereal/choc bars.

is it a good buy? Which bladder would you guys recommend me to buy?

comments are appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help with the bladder, sorry, but the Dakine 11L is ample space for a day's provisions and I think it has a special tube space for the bladder. You can also attach skis, should you so wish.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My advice would be to not get a bladder, get her one of these http://www.facewest.co.uk/Source-Convertube.html instead, much more versitile and no danger of the bladder getting punctured. It's why lots of mountain guides insist on them now after clients repeatedly bursting bladders with crampons, ice axes etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@abd, that looks like a good idea - have you tried one? I usually just chuck a bottle in the bag, but from friends who have bladders they do seem to be a bit problematic, especially when they get a bit mouldy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, yes, I've used them for years now and they are fantastic. Wouldn't go back to using bladders again!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
have used with a sigg bottle for a number of years no problems so far
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have fallen on a bag with a bottle in it before. It hurt. Falling on to one containing a bladder hurt a lot less, and it didn't burst. Dakine bag is good, I have one myself.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hells Bells, agreed, but does depend on what sort of bottle you use. I generally use a 1l pop bottle, so its quite soft, rather than a Sigg or Nalgene bottle.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use a Dakine Heli with a camelbak Unbottle 100oz. the bladder holds 3 litres, I rarely fill it to the brim though. Fits nicely in the pack, the cover means it doesn't freeze (remember to blow the water back down the tube when you;ve had a drink though as the tube will freeze)

http://shop.camelbak.com/unbottle-100-oz/d/1199_cl_1485
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have that back pack in 11L and 20L but haven't ever bought a bladder. They're tough and well thought out. As has also been mentioned it has ski and snowboard straps and provision for off piste equipment too. It's such a luxury being able to get trainers out of the bag, strap the skis to your back and carry your boots over your shoulder after a long days skiing rather than do the clumsy zombie walk back to your digs. I don't have anything against bladders btw. I tend to just carry a standard bottle of Evian or whatever.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use a camelback when riding bikes so am used to it. I bought the unbottle when I went away and forgot to take my bladder, it comes out only for ski trips now. Much easier to just take a gulp from a rubber than to take the bag off and root around for a bottle
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just to note - the heli is great for riding snowboards, but rubbish on a bike. In not sure why, but it is.

The BC heli industry mostly switched from dakine this year to an arcteryx design - that I expect, is just business.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
guys, thank you very much for the opinions, links and advice much appreciated....

I will look into the possibilities (either bladder or the tube converter) to go with the backpack....

thanks again...now need to find a goretex jacket....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@redbaron51, I have a black Heli-Pack 11 l which I used for several years until I replaced it with a slightly larger bag for probe & shovel - which the Dakine does hold, but then not easy to pack all other items.

PM me if you want to try a s/h Dakine - going cheap !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not sure how they fair for skiing but Osprey bags are decent and the bladders are good quality. Large opening for easy filling (and actually just about big enough to fit my arm in to dry it out properly... but i do have pretty skinny arms) and the magnetic connection to stop the hose flapping around is a nice touch. The bladder is completely isolated from the rest of the compartments and the hose runs along a zip the full length of the shoulder strap so no awkward feeding in and out a teeny little hole like on some bags. I did actually claim on the warranty as the bladder went a bit yellow after i left it in direct sunlight for about 3 weeks and they replaced it quickly with no problems. No ski carrying options on mine though, not sure about the rest of their range. Personally I've found bladders to be more effort than they're worth for skiing though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy