Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves or Mitts

Poster: A snowHead
Think the title says it all really.

I've always used gloves and have tended to find them warmer, but the coming year I'm tempted by mitts, no idea why just fancy a change.

So Gloves or Mitts? What is your preference and why? snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dzmarc, It's much harder to smoke in mitts - something to be aware of Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I mustard mitt, it's not something I've thought about much.

Gloves for me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mitts are better when you've been bitten by a dog and have to get them on over the bandage. (I realise this is a rather minority concern. Laughing )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maybe try one of each for a while - that would be a good way to compare the two and I doubt you'd get that many funny looks?

Just a thought
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you still get a free bit of string to connect the two when buying mitts?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Lizzard, always a concern. Its happened before!!

@AsterixTG, better do, otherwise they will fall in the lapse the of the snow gods and wont be in my possession very long.

May just get a pair and take both for when I inevitably fall over and they become soaking wet!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why do you not get separate fingers on boxing gloves?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE, to stop you poking an opponent in the eye or similar.

Back to the OP, I'd go with gloves for all round use, I stuck my new mitts on for Dec ski trip and even down to 0 deg they were just too warm. Good thing I had the gloves in the bag, I only go for mitts when it gets really properly cold, like beyond -10.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mitts for when it's properly cold (I've never needed my glove liners with my mitts, they are so warm), otherwise gloves are fine. Often carry both anyway, in case they get too cold or soggy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use 'Lobster Claws'. I like them a lot. A glove/mitt for the undecided.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A Glott or a Mive perhaps?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gloves, definitely, otherwise how does one stick out one's little pinkie when sipping from the hip flask!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mistress Panda, should they not be called boxing mittens?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE, if we are going to take everything literally they'd be called fisting mittens. And that is a different product entirely.
latest report
Shocked
ski holidays
Gloves for me (and the vast majority of skiers). I've always believed that what you may gain in warmth using mitts (very little in my opinion, even if the physics suggest otherwise) you more than lose in dexterity.

Lobster claws make some sort of sense but to me they just far too weird.
ski holidays
I used to be glove only, however since I learnt to snowboard and I then went back to skiing, I changed to a mitt with an internal glove which can be removed.

Allows for warm air pocket and you can scrunch up your hand in the mitt if it ever gets a little too cold...

Oh and added benefit is that you can put your lift pass in the mitt also!
snow report
I converted to mitts at Whistler on a very, very cold and windy day. I've never gone back to gloves..mind you I have arthritis in my fingers now, so the mitts are best all round for this. I have North Face liners (£30) with the smart phone finger thing... I did use those on their own in Foy last year as it was too hot for standard mitts or gloves..
latest report
+1 for 'lobster claws'

I used to always use gloves but was suffering on really cold days so was tempted by mitts, but didn't want to lose all the dexterity that gloves give you. They seem like a good compromise in the three seasons I've used them.
latest report
Personal preference. You all should wear gloves.

For me, mitts are the only way to go. Warmer, cheaper, more damp resistent, quicker on/off, work great with leashes, wider temperature range (use liners), better for cold weather photography as can wear thin gloves inside, easier to dry.
snow conditions
I've got some nice mitts with separate liners for cold days, but I find it awkward holding the poles with them! Prefer gloves.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
Personal preference. You all should wear gloves.

For me, mitts are the only way to go. Warmer, cheaper, more damp resistent, quicker on/off, work great with leashes, wider temperature range (use liners), better for cold weather photography as can wear thin gloves inside, easier to dry.

This. Plus I'm not sure what gloves everyone skis in but I've never seen a pair that are in anyway 'dextrous'.
ski holidays
I have both, but prefer gloves. I find my hands move around too much in mitts making it difficult to grab my poles!
ski holidays
Quote:

I have both, but prefer gloves. I find my hands move around too much in mitts making it difficult to grab my poles!

I've always found this but having just had very cold hands at Christmas (and it wasn't really that cold) I've found some cheap Lowe Alpine mitts ( http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/storm-mitt-waterproof-insulated-p282445) that have finger slots inside that seem to reduce the hand balling inside problem Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy