Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Home Made Ski Rack

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I purchased a set of skis for the fist time a few weeks ago. Have to take them down to Tignes @ Easter. I already have a Atera roof bars for the car, but the only ski rack I can find for oval bars are £100+.
I was thinking of making some plates to clamp the skis onto the roof bars using the T Track bolts, wrapping the plate in an old bike inner tube to protect the skis. Anyone know a good reason why I should not be attempting this, or a similar arrangement available at a sensible price commercially? I am not sure why such an arrangement is not readily available.

Steve.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ringingmaster, Put skis in ski bag, fasten bag to roof rack with bungee cords.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Right, an hour in the garage and I have a solution. Might start selling this:

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lot of road salt going to do nasty things to your bindings over such a long distance, not to mentio all manner of organic fly-life etc

Must admit I think I prefer the big idea

But you have an estate !? Why need to put skis on roof?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you have an estate car will the skis not go in the car a lot quieter and more fuel efficient!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm sure most commercials are more expensive because they are usually designed to take a number of skis and have the ability to lock the top bar. Just make sure you can see the car when you stop for a coffee/relief, or take it in turns if travelling two or more up.

Or, get back in the A-Team garage and engineer a way to lock the skis down.

I'll be sure to look out for you on the next series of dragons den though. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brock, sev112, inside of car full of kids and associated junk. Happy

Was planning to wrap commercial grade clingfilm around the bindings. Though will think about how to secure a ski bag.

Buddy1664, I think I will get some locking nuts for the final solution.

Test drive this afternoon.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sev112, I really don't think it's a problem to have bindings uncovered...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
sev112, I really don't think it's a problem to have bindings uncovered...

Lot more crap comes off a motorway than the average piste
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ringingmaster, I've just seen where you're from. Make sure you drive through the nicer side of town or fit the locking nuts first. I know of a few areas where they'd have your planks off the bars whilst you're stopped at traffic lights.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Buddy1664 wrote:
ringingmaster, I've just seen where you're from. Make sure you drive through the nicer side of town or fit the locking nuts first. I know of a few areas where they'd have your planks off the bars whilst you're stopped at traffic lights.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I know what you mean, but we are in a village to the south. Never any trouble.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The trouble with putting them on the roof like that is that all the bindings are exposed to the crap off the roads. I know the argument goes that they must be fairly robust things to poke up with what they go through anyway, but I think that the grits in road dirt are very fine and all the salt on the roads can't be good for them. I therefore favour the sling 'em in a ski bag and tether that the rack in some way. We use long nylon luggage straps for the main tying and a bungee just as belt and braces. We also add a thick cable lock as a disincentive to someone slicing the straps when we are inside a service station, and take them off the roof of the car if we go into a motel overnight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Before anybody from 'Tin Town' (not many avid skiers I wouldn't think) rips into me, I know what it's like I grew up there.

ringingmaster, Have a good holiday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, While I am going to cover these up just in case, I really would be surprised if fine grit would affect bindings. While safety critical, they are relatively simple systems and designed to cope with harsh conditions and muck. However, I would expect that salt will do them no good whatsoever, but would think a good hose down, dry and a coat of WD40 would see that right.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 2-03-14 17:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ringingmaster, There is perpetual disagreement between those who quite happily drive zillions miles with exposed skis/bindings on their roof and those who wouldn't even go 100 yds down the road in such a state. You will never get any compromise between the two.
latest report
I carry skis inside car having put a length of 22mm plumbing pipe between front headrests to support. Tips reach just past headrest (177/180/161cm skis in Golf IV hatchback and no ski bag) and don't impinge on passengers.
ski holidays
colinstone, That is just where screen for the DVD sits. wink

Test drive went well. No noise up to 80MPH, and fuel consumption appears about normal.
snow report
If they were my skis, the skis would be in the car and the kids would be on the roof.

But for a family run to Tignes I'd hire or buy a long thin roof box.
latest report
Well I like it
snow report
hobbiteater wrote:
Well I like it
Thanks. Happy
ski holidays
I would buy/make a loose bag to cover the skis if I were you, they could still be fitted the same way but would protect from the salt etc
ski holidays
Looks good. I'd give some thought to how to lock the nuts, not just to prevent theft but also to make them a bit more secure to working loose. Having a pair of skis come off the rack on the motorway could be disastrous, especially for the person behind you! Any chance of a lanyard of some sort as a backup?
snow report
A Skoda Octavia Estate has a 'ski slot' in the rear specifically for the job (even comes with a special bag/end to contain the tips safely). With the back seats flat I can fit them inside regardless. Mind you the purchase of an Octavia Estate might be an OTT solution Laughing On a long family trip to ski I run a Thule 780 roof box on the Octavia Estate set to one side with gear in, the 4 sets of skis lashed next to it in a large ski bag and the boot loaded level. Two growing kids in the backseat and us up front!
snow conditions
kieranm, I once had a car lose a roof rack complete with 2 bikes just in front of me - good job there was nothing in the other lane!!
ski holidays

Sorted!
snow report
This type of thread always gives me a wry smile. We spend a not inconsiderable amount on gear, be it skis or bikes and then look for the cheapest solution possible be it home made or the cheapest Hanford strap on rack for bikes. It's even better when they are all attached to cars costing north of 30K. It's a bit like the ones using a mobile in a car worth 50K when a hands fee kit was only a couple of hundred quid more. We've just replaced a Thule roof box after 14 years service that worked out at about £20 a year and you can use it on other trips as well.
snow report
ringingmaster, nothing on here suitable for your car? http://www.roofbox.co.uk/ski-snowboard-carriers/?flt15=1&flt20=&sort=price-ASC&type=category&catin=431#filterform
ski holidays
I hand my skis to the Peruvian Pan Pipe Band sat on the car roof that drink petrol, otherwise known as the Thule Ski Rack rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, that's def. what I had in mind Toofy Grin
snow report
Quick update as we are back in the ski season. Home made was great last year. No noticeable increase in fuel consumption. Second set being made for this year. Will add photos when I have it sorted.
snow report
@spyderjon, me too, bindings open on the roof a no-go!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy