Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leaving it to last minute for Xmas skiing

Poster: A snowHead
We are contemplating leaving it till 20th/21st dec to book for the following weekend (27th dec) to ski for a week. We are seeking advice as to the possabilities of finding a package for 2 people skiing in an area high enough for this time
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevin150562@hotmail.com, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

Your dates aren't Christmas, they're New Year, which does make a difference. NY week is the most heavily booked week of the season, with many properties already fully booked for next time. If you are only two, you should be OK, but may still need to be flexible about exactly where, what type/level of accommodation, departure airport etc. This past NY week I had many examples of accommodation being available, but the TOs had run out of flights, leaving only departures from less convenient airports.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

but the TOs had run out of flights, leaving only departures from less convenient airports.

Or driving/train as alternatives

Personally think you may need to be prepared to do some DIY investigations as well rather than relying on Tour Operators, look on resort websites and see if owners are renting direct through them

Welcome to snowHead you may want to drop Admin a Message (top right, Send Message) to ask if you can change your Username so it isn't email address to prevent anyone adding you to SPAM lists
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that and info
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
it depends where you want to fly from. For example on the flight out on easyjet from newcastle to geneva on the sunday before new year there were about 6 seats left
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We are going this weekend this year and we have our accomodation booked, it does seem to be one of the busiest weeks of the year, How big is your group. If you are just a couple I would say take the gamble but if y ou have kids in your group then I would prefer to get it booked up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevin150562@hotmail.com, I'd agree with all the advice above, but add that if you can do any other week it would be better!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the advice, theres only the 2 of us and will be willing to fly out of any airport to any destination as long as there is snow at new year so prob need to be a high resort. The feeling I get from you guys is take that chance to save some cash and book it up last minute.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

as long as there is snow at new year so prob need to be a high resort

No, not necessarily. The alps is a big place. If early snow is poor is France it might well be good elsewhere, or vice versa. If early is snow is poor all over you'd be best advised not to bother, as the highest areas will be rammed with vast queues. If snow is good all over the queues and crowds will be less ghastly. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevin150562@hotmail.com, imho you will be fine as long as you aren't set on a particular resort. And this would apply to most seasons as there is just 2 of you. People with interests in getting people booked early will tell you different.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kevin150562@hotmail.com, I would advise against leaving a New Year holiday holiday booking to the last minute in the hope of saving a few pounds, you are more likely to be not going anywhere or be going somewhere with no snow if you leave it to the last minute.

Most other weeks of the season it will work as there is usually a lot more supply than demand but New Year is totally the opposite. We are already booked up for next New Year in our apartment and are still receiving loads of enquiries for the New Year week.

This last New Year we had a last minute cancellation a couple of weeks before and within 1 day of sending out an email to our mailing list we had 5 groups who wanted to book at the full price. In fact, we could easily have doubled the price and it would have gone as people were so desperate to find something.

I'd either change your dates to the week after, as it will be a lot cheaper and extremely quiet on the slopes, or if you have to go at New Year try and find somewhere relatively snow sure and book early to give you the chance of finding somewhere decent.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skichampcouk, +1

Our chamonix apartments were fully booked at full price by the end of August. We're already half full for feb half term.

If you have any interest in deciding where you go for new year, book as soon as you have made a decision.

In fact, if we found ourself in November with an empty apartment, I'd start raising the price.

We get enquiries for NY week up until the Friday before the Saturday arrival.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are going for New Year and found it difficult to book a 3 bed apartment but have manage to secure one. A lot haven't released prices yet and some companies are starting to get a waiting list which we found with Erna Low but managed to book with Ski Collection.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was hoping to go out for last New Year, booking last minute. Not a hope. Flights were non-existent (at any sensible price) and TOs had nothing.

Previous year I found two seats on a TO aeroplane and two beds in an independent chalet; great deal.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi there

We spent this New Year just past in Val d'Isere, invited at short notice to a friend's chalet so no issue with accommodation. Flew very expensively though!

It was the worst week I've ever had there - I've been going there at least twice a year for the past 5 or 6 years. Absolutely rammed - partly because the snow was indeed bad lower down. Best time to ski was first thing on New Year's day as everyone was lying in with a hangover, but generally it was much worse than half term. The local instructors (French) said they'd never seen anything like it, which suggests it's not quite as bad as that every year, but I wouldn't bother myself. I do get that this might be when you can get off work and incorporate bank holidays to maximise your holiday allowance, and if it's the only time then go. But expect a LOT of people on the pistes.

The morning lifts were actually better than half-term (which I also spent in Val), probably due to fewer ski schools bunging up the lifts at 9.15 am, but it was the pistes that were really crowded.

We went again on Jan 11th for our regular trip and it was fab - much quieter - there was also more snow by then too, by chance. I wouldn't go at New Year again unless I knew it was literally the only snow I was going to get all year.
ski holidays
Violette, not usually that bad.
snow conditions
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

I'm sure you're right - I do think the instructors were blaming the lack of snow elsewhere above all. But then you never can tell what the snow's going to be like in advance. So perhaps waiting till the last minute to book is ok as long as you are prepared NOT to go if it's rubbish!

Anyway, I still wouldn't go at New Year again. Apart from anything else, the friends I was with were very keen on staying up late to celebrate and I would always rather be up for the first (well, maybe not quite the first...) lift.
ski holidays
Violette, booking late for New Year this year would probably have meant staying somewhere low and driving to snow.

Even Chamonix wasn't so very stupid busy.

Champoluc was positively ghostly on piste (and had rather excellent snow).
snow conditions
As we had poor snow the Xmas week we decided to stay on in the Alps. Xmas day and Boxing day I searched the web for good deals and there were quite a few out there! We needed 3 rooms and I actually got confirmation and paid for our catered chalet on the morning of Sat 27th. It would have been a lot easier if it had not been Xmas day and boxing day on a Thursday and Friday meaning that a lot of places (especially UK TO`s were not answering their phones) so that deals showing on line were impossible to book.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy