Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 1800 v Les Coches, Les Coches Now Booked :-)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Which is the better base to stay in? Pro's and cons of each etc.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 28-12-14 18:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably not much in it. 1800 is one lift from Plagne Centre and you can get plenty of places from there. Quiet as far as bars and things are concerned. Les Coches is good for access to the Vanoise Express and gives you easy options for getting to Les Arcs. A couple of bars but not exactly jumping. Both choices would be for those seeking peace and quiet, I would say, but I am not a party person myself and have only stayed twice in Les Coches and once in 1800. My preference would be for Plagne Centre if you want more action.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ricklovesthepowder, Les coches is much better for skiing IMO. Such a central spot in the Paradiski circuit, you miss all the crowds

It's quiet though and the I&F chalet position up the hill means quite a walk down (and up) to what nite life there is. (it's right on the piste though...)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ricklovesthepowder, well: seems you have one vote so far for 1800 and one for Les Coches. And i would go with the draw.
Neither is better. They are different.
Les Coches is in the centre of Paradiski. If you fancy access to both La Plagne and Les Arcs then go there. It also has lots of tree runs for when the weather turns nasty.
We stayed in that sector (actually Montchavin rather than Les Coches, but not much difference) lots of years when the kids were young and learning, and before the Vanoise.
If you want to be in the main La Plagne bowl then go for 1800.
Can get to tree runs in the Montalbert sector. Easier to get over to Champagny which is lovely when the sun shines on a cold day. And slightly easier to get up to Roche de Mio.
I've never been one for "Apres" and "nighlife", so don't know much about that aspect, but those in the know tell me the "In Places" are in Plagne Centre and Bellecote rather than Les Coches.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have not stayed in Les Coches, but have had numerous trips to 1800. As noted above this is a quiet place but there are a few bars and restaurants to choose from. Although Les Coches is in the centre of Paradiski it is not in the centre of La Plagne circuit where 1800 is much more so. It is also very easy to get to other parts of La Plagna ( Centre, Belle Plagne etc ) off the snow by frequent buses. the trips are short enough to nip out for something to eat or drink or to use amenities such as public swimming pools. These bus links are also useful alternatives if you get caught out at the end of the day by lift closures or long lift cues allowing you to return to 1800 in no time at all. I would also imagine there is more choice of bars, restaurants, ski shops and ski schools some of which are only based in Plagne centre but do run a complimentary bus service that picks you up from your accommodation and ferry you up to their meeting points. That is my plug for Plagne 1800. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chalet location is key in 1800 as many chalets are right on the main access road up to la Plagne. I guess there would be lots of road noise day and night.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Boredsurfing, I wouldn't go along with your concern about noise. Most accommodation is away from the main road.

And the few that are on the main road don't really get affected: they are either raised up or dipped down. I''ve stayed in one or two and never noticed problem with noise. More of problem is access: some of the roadside places require you to walk on the road for short distances to get to bus stop, shops or bars - there are no pavements, so if you don't like walking on main roads go for one of the other places.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim, Stayed in a few before we settled in Montalbert, wink However if the roadside location is avoided there are some excellent chalets, there is a new one by the 1800 lift which I think is Ski Beat that looks rather nice,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Chalet location is key in 1800 as many chalets are right on the main access road up to la Plagne. I guess there would be lots of road noise day and night.

Can't say I've had that problem, stayed in a couple along the 'top road'- i.e above 6/7/8 in the picture below, never heard any road noise from the main route into plagne center
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
booked into Les Coches, more central to explore the whole ski area. Really looking forward to it, never been to Paradiski before.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice. Lovely swoopy tree-lined runs home. Easy access to other areas of La Plagne as well as it being very easy to get over the "handbag" to Les Arcs. Well worth having the full Paradiski pass where you are.

I used to have a bit of a down on La Plagne, but have now learned the error of my ways!

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chris Bish, Really looking forward to it! Going with my Father in law and Bro in law, haven't skied with them for 6 years now, so will be really nice. I was a beginner back then so always waiting around for me lol!!! Just hope another big dump of snow arrives before I go!!! Sure we will be fine. Love tree lined blue and red runs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Rick,

I did a full season in Les Coches orking for a family ski company. I think it is a better based to stay in for skiing as you a PP says you cannot stay any closer to the Vanois express taking you over the Les Arcs if you want to venture over. Loads of great tree runs in Les Coches wheeas La Plagne is a little more open with more rns avaiulable naturally. It only takes 30-45 mins to ski from Les Coches to La Plagne o there are plenty of options.

The only negative to Les Coches vs La Plagne would be if you are partial to a bit of Apres Ski or heavy nights out as there are only 2 pubs and a few nice restaurant in the village!

have a great holiday.

Joey
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@joeyg, Thanks. Apres ski really isn't our thing, bottle of wine over a lovely cooked meal, sat next to a log fire is more our scene. Can you recommend and nice restaurants for the chalet night off???
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No problems. From memory there is a great fondue restaurant in the centre of the village close to the main chair lift, can't go wrong there!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy