Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Killy vs 3V - leaving 17/01

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

going to book a last minute trip leaving this weekend (17/18 jan), either to EK or 3V.

Anyone with local knowledge know which is the better bet given existing snow conditions? I've checked the forecast and it looks like there will be a bit more snow in both areas around Thurs/Fri.

Mainly looking at piste skiing, I'm guessing there isn't much off piste to be had currently?

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I'd go for the EK because a higher proportion of the skiing available (huge in both, obviously) is high altitude.

But depends on the weather over next few days, maybe and it could be v cold that week and perishing freezing up too high. For a last minute trip I'd wait till the last minute to decide on destination - just book flights.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, thanks

We're booking a package deal (chalet + flights) so no option to book flights separately unfortunately. At the moment the options are either Courchevel 1850, Val D or Tignes.
I think Tignes would be the safest bet, but the price I have for the Val D holiday is about £100pp cheaper, and given they share the same ski area there seems little benefit in being based in Tignes, would you agree?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi alex99, Val D more attractive base than Tignes in my opinion. Lift system makes accessing whole of EK quite easy, except in very high winds. In that case better to be in Val D, which offers a bit more shelter and a few trees. Good news is both EK and 3V have light snow forecast from Weds through to Friday. Daytime freezing level below 1000m by Saturday. If that happens then conditions across both areas should improve significantly. Good luck!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@intermediate, thanks yes I've been to both but not in a few years, 2009 was the last time. Based on the above I think we'll go for Val D!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Check inghams.co.uk..

I got flights, transfer, accommodation and ski pass for EK based in Tignes for £480pp.

That's based on 5 guys sharing a studio.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frankeh wrote:
That's based on 5 guys sharing a studio.

Ah, those were the days Toofy Grin Shocked Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Frankeh, thanks, I'll have a look. For Val D, I've been offered £399pp for flights, transfers and accom (chalet board including food & wine). Not incl lift pass though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
although as @red 27, says, those indeed were the days Smile Its just me and the mrs at the moment so we're after a double room.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex99 wrote:
@Frankeh, thanks, I'll have a look. For Val D, I've been offered £399pp for flights, transfers and accom (chalet board including food & wine). Not incl lift pass though.

That's a good price from what I remember of searching around.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Probably against popular opinion I would go for 3v , with the forecast both places will be okfor snow on the Piste At the moment it looks like it could be quite a stormy week , the 3v has more treelined skiing and is more less exposed to the high winds than Val . Also access to and from 3v is much better in bad weather .
I think the week from the 17th is going to be a snowy one .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rob Mackley, thanks. If we went with 3V it would be either Courchevel or Val T, most likely the former. Seem to remember Courchevel has decent tree lined skiing? Seems like its a 50/50 decision really, EK has higher slopes on average but maybe 3V a better option if the weather is v cold/windy. From what I recall EK has better off piste than 3V, but I'm putting any hope of that on the back burner due to the snow levels.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@alex99, if the forecast is correct for this weekend and next week , the pistes should be replenished but you will encounter , cloud , wind and snow so I would choose Courchevel .

This should give you and idea .

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=euro&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prec&HH=3&LOOP=1&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes Rob Mackley has a point if weather likely to be cloudy/windy. 3V offers more lower level, sheltered pistes. I would avoid staying at exposed Val T in those conditions. Off piste conditions not great recently and some well respected snowheads have warned of high risks. Plenty of piste to go at in 3V and EK!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@alex99, Tignes is uber-grim whereas the other two have plenty of charm and character.

I'd go 3V for the reasons others have highlighted but they're both cracking areas
latest report
Why on earth not Austria? They seem to have best snow now and most on way
ski holidays
@peanuthead, yes good point re Austria. The reasons that I'm not going there are
-There seem to be better offers on chalet deals to France at the moment
-My g/f has never seen 3v or EK
- I've been to Austria/St Anton lots of times in the last few years. I love it there.....but just fancied France this time

We're both fairly decent skiers so I think I would get bored in a small resort just skiing piste (off-piste seems out of the question with current conditions).
So the requirements were last minute/good deal on chalet accommodation in a large ski area in France.......3V/EK seemed to fit the bill.
snow report
@red 27, Val T has charm and character Puzzled
snow conditions
Another forecast for next 10 days, showing mostly snowy/cloudy weather with sub zero daytime temperatures. Again that may favour 3V, for extra lower level and tree lined skiing.
http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day/Tignes+73+France+FRXX0492:1:FR
snow report
Think I'm going to risk leaving it another day or so until these forecasts make their mind up for this weekend's snow predictions and temperatures!!

Looks a bit variable at the moment, early yesterday there was a decent amount forecast for Friday, and now it just looks like a dusting.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@red 27, Val T has charm and character Puzzled

No it doesn't - but the OP was considering Courchevel which does
ski holidays
@alex99, Check out http://interactiveresorts.co.uk/

Just found a Catered Chalet with flights and transfer to Val D for £339 from Gatwick.
latest report
thanks @chrisrawles, I used them to book a chalet in meribel in the end, 5* for £399, not bad!

Now time for my snow dance....
snow report
@alex99, When I booked with them the TO ended up being Ski Total. By far the best trip to date.
snow report
Yes this one is Total also. Good you had a +ve experience, I've been with them twice, a few years ago it was fine. But also heard mixed reviews from others ("TotalS**t" was one phrase used!)

Anyway fingers crossed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy