Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Overnight Stop enroute to Chatel from Calais?

Poster: A snowHead
Am driving down on Dec 19th to Chatel from London. I was planning on overnighting somewhere near Dijon (although doesn't need to be there). Would anyone have any recent experience of decent basic hotels near the motorway - I don't particularly want to drive far off route to get to a hotel.[/i]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MorganW, I'm driving on 19th too, though expect to go all the way to my apartment - unless the weather gets nasty (which means fog, really) in which case I'll stop. I wouldn't expect there to be much difficulty finding a room near the motorway that night. The Saturday will be moderately busy driving to resort - might be worth thinking a bit about your time of arrival@MorganW, though it shouldn't be as bad as the 27th Saturday changeover, which will be very busy.

What time are you planning to cross the Channel?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
F1 Hotel Troyes is fine. Very basic, very cheap, and you can park your car full of kit in view of your room. 2 minutes from the Autoroute. I was there by 4pm having left the UK at around 6am - and that was crawling in a Land Rover Defender.

Frankly, if you have two drivers, just do the trip in one hit. I was alone, so took a break.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info. Am arriving Calais circa 2130 - so happy to drive up to 5 hours from that point but Troyes looks good as an option. We'd then plan on routing to Chatel via the Lausanne area and Monthey.

Using this as a test for future regular trips particularly from Dec 2015 onwards, when hopefully we'll have taken possession of an apartment in Chatel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MorganW, I would be tempted to stop earlier, get to bed earlier and then get up and back on the road earlier the next morning. There are loads of chain hotels right near the motorways or even at services. Have a look for Premiere Classe, Formule 1, Etap, Campanile, BB... All are good for a bed overnight if that is all you need.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a look at this it might be of use. http://about-france.com/tourism/A26-through-france.htm
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MorganW, there is also a nice thread all about overnight stop here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28639
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stay over at Le Val Moret, just 5 minutes off the A5, south of Troyes, Jct.22

http://www.le-val-moret.com/en/

Has a nice swimming pool and sauna, parking right outside the room, and a lovely but unpretentious restaurant.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
B&b Dijon- stayed there last Boxing Day - near a big l'eclerc so cheap place to fuel up and grab a coffee and a pastry before the final assault.

Mr NN driving our other car out next week and staying there- room is 35e
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,

Beaune.

I've done the driving-down-in-one-go and the stopping-in-a-cheap-motel. Last January, we stopped with friends who usually stop in Beaune, and it was su-pe-rb, fa-aa-ar more civilised than stopping in an industrial estate with a choice of McDonalds or Pizza Hut for dinner. Evil or Very Mad We stopped in a small hotel just inside the ring road and old city walls, we could've had dinner there but chose to wander 'round the town centre first. In the morning, breakfast was far more pleasant than the packets they serve up in the 'cheap' motels, and they filled up the flask with decent coffee gratis. snowHead too

Hth.

Regards,
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.le-val-moret.com/en/

+1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Probably not the best of circumstances, as we'd driven all day in heavy snow, but I was rather underwhelmed by Val Moret after the many recommendations on here. Our room was freezing, and very basic compared to other hotels I have stayed in in the area, and we had a very dangerous walk across the car park across thick black ice to get to the restaurant. Food was nothing to write home about either.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's all personal preference, but I've always enjoyed out stays at Val Moret
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We stayed at the Bio Motel in Semoutiers near Chaumont, between Dijon and Troyes. Just a couple of minutes from the autoroute it was the best overnighter I've found in many years of doing the trip. 15 minutes into Chaumont if you want restaurants and supermarkets but if you've come prepared hard to beat.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We stayed at la Imprimerie in Beaune last year, wonderful guest house with a fabulous host, very secure parking in enclosed courtyard. I highly recommend it.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187109-d2716800-Reviews-Les_Chambres_de_l_Imprimerie-Beaune_Cote_d_Or_Burgundy.html
snow report
@StuartMac, we've stopped in Beaune many times. It also has the cheap and cheerful motels in an industrial park, but the industrial park is only 10 mins walk from the town centre. It's only really worth doing if you get an afternoon or evening though. Stopping at midnight then setting off again at 7am, you could just stay anywhere.
ski holidays
Hotel l'arlequin in Troyes is good. Nice town to grab some food too.
ski holidays
Yes, I've stayed in the Arlequin - enjoyed a walk round the town and finding somewhere to eat. But it was significantly more expensive than the "chains" and it was summer - nice late summers evening. On the way down in winter I prefer to drive till quite late, even if I plan to stop, so a nicer and more expensive place is a bit of a waste for me. There's also one of those big chains in Troyes, quite near the Arlequin but it was full that night - can't remember which type it is, but right opposite a huge car park.
snow report
and the Arlequin doesn't have its own parking, if that's important to you.
snow report
Not sure if its of any use, but we now use a late Eurotunnel over to Calais and stay at http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5919-ibis-budget-saint-omer-centre/index.shtml which is about 3/4 hr drive from the tunnel. We get a decent night's sleep, breakfast at 7.30 and managed to get to Oz en Oisans by 4pm on one journey and Albertville (en route to St Foy) by 4pm on another. Its got a locked car park and is easy to find. If you arrive early enough there are a couple of restaurants less than ten mins stroll from the Ibis.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy