Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non half-term skiing. Probably Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a week in Tignes (see other posting) and, with youngest now about to do A-Levels, this was probably our last half-term ski trip ever.

Next year, assuming that she gets into Uni, we're looking at an Easter trip. A quick google suggests that the dates are Friday 26th March - Monday 26th April.

The question is, that late in the year where would be good for snow? Should we specifically aim for a high resort? We've traditionally been to France, as we have driven for probably the last 6 or 7 years, and we get around so like a big super-domain.

We have done Tignes at Easter a few years ago (as a 2nd trip in the year) and it was good, but having just done it, we're keen to go somewhere else.

Any suggestions?

LR
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val Tho, or Paradiski (Les Arcs/La Plagne) are still snow sure in their upper parts, and you know the route!

Of course there's always Chamonix but it's a completely different set up - having said that you have a car so could.work out, and opens up nearby areas (Megeve, Les Contamines).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know French resorts (though this year am off to Val Thorens 18/4, do hope that's still good!) , but have done Austria several times late March - early April. Mayrhofen is usually still good & has the Hintertux glacier within easy reach. Other glacial areas / resorts are also available (e.g. Kitzsteinhorn and Stubai).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LittleRob, You don't know what you don't know. We discovered this year that the University's hold their mid-year exams quite soon after the new year (week 1 or 2 of January), then the students have a week or two off before returning at the end of the month. Our 2nd year students have already identified week 16-23 Jan 21 as their optimal ski week with 23-30 Jan 21 as the back up. We booked accordingly. That said, Easter can be much nicer. Easter weekend is earlier next year on the 1st weekend of April and conditions will be pretty good anywhere high or with good snowmaking facilities to lay down a base.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LittleRob, 26th March is pretty early and should be fine even down to 1350/1450. More mid-April we stayed in Les Menuires and it was a good location with no problems skiing back. Or the 1800 resorts at La Plagne/Les Arcs - although you can always stay at Les Coches/PV which have good snow cannoned links on account of the VE connection.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Friday 26th March - Monday 26th April.

@LittleRob, that's a long weekend that is!

Quote:

conditions will probably be pretty good anywhere high or with good snow making facilities to lay down a base

FIFY
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As above.. in a normal year, going in the last week of March opens up a whole load of options. The further you go into April the higher you'll potentially you'll need to go.

A lot depends on when you are looking to book. If you're looking to book late, then in a good snow year you might a whole load of options open up for you. If booking early, you might need play it safe and book higher just in case (but you will get the pick of the best value accommodation).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies. I should have perhaps been clearer. We're looking for a week and it probably has to be between 26th March and 26th April. However, thinking about it, we usually drive Friday evening, and had discussed going earlier on Friday (and staying in a hotel rather than kipping in the car), so that probably means that the possible range is: April 2nd to April 26th, though equally we could perhaps do a Sunday-Sunday rental.

I was assuming that later=higher, but I don't have enough experience of March/April to know what is "normal" (if such weather systems exist any more). Equally, I'd prefer a simple drive. Tignes, and presumably Paradiski/3V, is a long way from the peage and so, as we found this year, the risk of bad traffic much increased.

The kids are keen on the idea of Chamonix, but I can't get my head round the lack of connectedness of it all. Plus I'm not that big of an off-piste skier, so I'm not sure if it would be for us (though I like the town in the summer and have been several times).

We did wonder about Flaine. We skied there a few years ago and we had a good time.

LR
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@LittleRob, Chamonix is a collection of areas. Each easily big enough for a day. Absolutely no issue at all if you have a car. And TBH, if you time it right for e.g. Argentiere or Vallorcine the train works very well (and is, I think, on a twice hourly schedule imminently?)

Late season, Brevent-Flégère is south facing so if it's still good, it will get cooked pretty early on. By contrast, Grands Montets is north facing and should hold up well. There were people skinning up and skiing late June last year!

Accommodation choice is quite key as well, if you are planning on using buses or trains. Not so much with a car.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Obvious answer: The EoSB snowHead

Yes, by April you're looking for altitude.
IMV Val Tho is the best domain that late. The town is at 2300m and there are 6 points on the lift system above 3000m: basically, the whole area is open*. Tignes only has the one spot above 3000m.

*I've been there in the 2nd half of April every year for nearly 20 years: one year the lowest lift was closed when we arrived and the 2nd lowest was closed by the time we left, due to melting snow. Every other year, the whole domain has had cover.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Banff, I dare you Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
patrick! wrote:
Val Tho, or Paradiski (Les Arcs/La Plagne) are still snow sure in their upper parts, and you know the route!

Of course there's always Chamonix but it's a completely different set up - having said that you have a car so could.work out, and opens up nearby areas (Megeve, Les Contamines).
We did Les Arcs/LaPlagne at Easter last year and the year before and both were pretty good with lots of snow left. Last year was good enough that the French themselves turned up in number and the piste workers were encouraged to set up timed speed runs and other entertainments. We are going to Les Arcs again this Easter.

There is the complete range of skiing at these two resorts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LittleRob wrote:
I was assuming that later=higher

It does to some degree but #1 your date range is quite wide and #2 there is high and there is high as possible.

LittleRob wrote:
Equally, I'd prefer a simple drive. Tignes, and presumably Paradiski/3V, is a long way from the peage and so, as we found this year, the risk of bad traffic much increased.

I agree I don't like the massive schleps up the valleys to the likes of Val T and Tignes so tend to try to avoid them. On the flip side traffic isn't a big issue at that time in the season. And needs must

LittleRob wrote:
The kids are keen on the idea of Chamonix, but I can't get my head round the lack of connectedness of it all. Plus I'm not that big of an off-piste skier, so I'm not sure if it would be for us

Makes no sense going to Chamonix with that profile.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stay above 1500m.

1. Verbier
2. Zermatt
3. Val d'Isere
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, yep we’re eyeing up last week Jan to go now as boys have break. Will be naughty and take daughter out of school for week Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy