Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early morning fitness training?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone train first thing?

I'm really an evening/afternoon training person ,but due to circumstances changing may have to/want to attend a circuit class that starts at 7am!

So the question is do I need to eat before hand or can I get up, chuck my kit on, quick glass of water/orange juice and have breakfast afterwards?

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I eat afterwards, maybe a banana or some chocolate when out on the bike... Anything more and it is a pointless exercise-usually ends up on the trail.

To summarise-nothing too heavy.

This is just what works for me, should try it out for yourself and see where it gets you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to work as a postie. So I got used to a bit of early morning exercise.

There'd still be moaning and groaning while I emptied my sack.

But then I'd get up and go to work.

I'd eat afterwards if I were you. Just get a pint of water down you before you set off to the gym.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a bit of an evening person too. However, when turfed out of bed for pre-breakfast exercise I always feel great for the rest of the day. A bottle of water, then eat after having a shower.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do. A couple of slices of toast half an hour before I go, PSP22 during, then some fruit afterwards.

Do you need to eat before you go? Who knows. It depends what you're doing and how intense you'll be. I've seen women come out of Spin classes without having broken a sweat, and I know someone who ran his own marathon one weekend, in 3h48m carrying 3 litres of water and five gel packs, with just a ham & cheese sandwich inside him. Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I tried early morning training, it used to make me fall asleep at lunchtime.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer wrote:
I tried early morning training, it used to make me fall asleep at lunchtime.

Ah an unexpected benefit, an afternoon snooze Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Always make sure I have something to eat before Sunday morning cycle or else I feel I have no calories to burn up. But it's probably more psychological than anything else.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I go to the gym before work - much too tired and too much time to think up excuses to go after work! I have a bowl of muesli with banana and a cup of tea before I leave the house at 6 Skullie - I'm at the gym for 6.45. At work by 8.30. Come about 9.30 I'm starving and have bacon in a roll mmmmmm.

You should definitely eat something beforehand but not too soon before - my hour seems to work fine. And I think it's recommended you eat within an hour or so after exercise, especially protein - well that's my excuse for having a bacon roll Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, I am also not really a morning person and used to train at lunch-time - until I found that it was getting less and less easy to find the time.
Evening exercise just does not fit in with my timetable so about 5 years ago I was forced to start exercising in the morning. What amazed me was how quickly my body adapted to morning exercise.
I have a cup of tea before exercise and that's it. If you believe the machines, I burn 600-800kcal in a session, and then don't usually end up eating until lunchtime by which time I'm starving.

For me, the great thing about morning exercise is that I am doing it in my time and am not beholden to anyone at that time so am not going to get hassled by e.g. the mobile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends on what kind of exercise. If I'm running then just water in the morning. If I'm out for a day on the bike then anything goes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc wrote:
I used to work as a postie. So I got used to a bit of early morning exercise.

There'd still be moaning and groaning while I emptied my sack.

But then I'd get up and go to work.

I'd eat afterwards if I were you. Just get a pint of water down you before you set off to the gym.

Made me giggle Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:

I do 3 miles running on hills about 7.30am 6 days a week. Love it. Never eat before. I get up throw some food at the kids and take the dogs of out on the hills. Been doing this now for about 4 years, used to be an evening runnner but once you get in the habit its great. Just get up and go Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes. Cycling & Squash training first thing, food before hand would only be my dinner the night before around 18:00hrs. Makes you very alert for the rest of the day.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The whole point of mountain biking is the feasting afterwards, and I like to take snacks with me, otherwise I end up sizing up my fellow MTBers for tastiness towards the end of a long ride (Dalby Forest!).

There really is nothing worse than boinking on a bike, it just makes it miserable.

For the gym, I try and avoid eating before hand, and eat straight afterwards.
ski holidays
I used to get up at 5.00 am and have 500 cows milked by 8.00am. Then Breakfast. Didn't enjoy it though, so not a morning person. Get up around 8.00am now. (No cows to milk though Very Happy )
latest report
Kramer,
Quote:

boinking on a bike

Puzzled
snow conditions
Hard work this posting from bed! Toofy Grin

Hurtle, an odd expression I know but it sums up the massive drop in sugars and energy levels you get around 10miles from base-camp, with one last biatch of a climb to go.
latest report
I go to the gym early, and just have a coffee before I go - I have breakfast when I get back. I found the early morning slot much the best time for me to go to the gym.
snow report
kitenski, on the rare occasion that I run in the morning, I eat when I get back, but if I am feeling really hungry I might eat half a banana before going. Oh, and I usually have a cup of tea as I don't function properly without tea.

Good luck with the circuits Very Happy
latest report
Gosh. What an impressive lot. Just reading it makes me feel fat and lazy.
snow conditions
I get my wife her breakfast - that's enough excercise for me in the morning.

I'm lucky in that I a) get a lunchtime and b) use it - so go running or cycling 2/3 times a week. Working at a Uni there are also excllent changing, gym and pool facilitis if I fancy a change. I won't annoy you all be telling you what this costs me per annum.........................

Pssst - less than some people pay a month Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

otherwise I end up sizing up my fellow MTBers for tastiness towards the end of a long ride (Dalby Forest!).

You don't know how relieved I am to know you were only thinking of your stomach! Shocked
snow report
For what it is worth my son was an elite swimmer and would train 5am to 7am 4 mornings a week - he would have a small pre-training breakafast and then a bigger second breakfast after training before school/college/university. He would then train every evening from 4pm until 7pm as 1 hour resistance and boxercise and 2 hours swimming. Could never get enough food into him as their big meterage weeks could be 100k in the pool.

I am only an ironman triathlete and I found the dedication of top class swimmers humbling. Needless to say when said son came skiing he was like a machine Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I typically exercise first thing, and have something small and easy to digest (piece of fruit, or glass of smoothie) as I get up, then get a proper breakfast after exercise
snow report
I'm with viv, andIan Kenvyn, I always needed a small feed first and then something during a workout(about 1.5 hours was normal workout for me) and a bigger breakfast after... For just a morning run - no breakfast as it was much less time.
snow conditions
I think it depends what you're doing. If you're training to compete, or for endurance events I think you really need to eat first, as your performance won't be as good without fuel. But if you're just training for general fitness, weight loss, enjoyment etc I don't think it matters.
ski holidays
I find if I (a) don't eat, (b) eat to much or (c) eat too late before the gym in the morning I feel sick during exercise.

I guess its just down to personal preference, I favour a single slice of toast with peanut butter and half a banana on top for energy (either that or a small bowl of muesli), and try to allow at least half an hour to let this go down before exercise. I then normally go straight to work as I can't eat directly after a proper workout, normally starving around 10 so have a snack then.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
If you have an early morning race or workout, it's best to get up early enough to eat your pre-exercise meal. If not, you should try to eat or drink something easily digestible about 20 to 30 minutes before the event. The closer you are to the time of your event, the less you should eat. You can have a liquid meal closer to your event than a solid meal because your stomach digests liquids faster.

What To Eat
Because glucose is the preferred energy source for most exercise, a pre-exercise meal should include foods that are high in carbohydrates and easy to digest. This include foods such as pasta, fruits, breads, energy bars and drinks. Also see: Energy for Exercise - Fat or Carbs?.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportsnutrition/a/EatForExercise.htm

I'd imagine eating/drinking something easily digestible about an hour before going to bed would set you up better for training in the morning.
snow report
kitenski wrote:

I'm really an evening/afternoon training person ,but due to circumstances changing may have to/want to attend a circuit class that starts at 7am!

So the question is do I need to eat before hand or can I get up, chuck my kit on, quick glass of water/orange juice and have breakfast afterwards?

Cheers,

Greg

Hey,

I usually eat after my workouts. It get's hard sometimes to wake up early do ma workouts, heading to office it became a tough job then later I downloaded Alarmy and it just forces me out of bed. You can try out if you feel lazy to wake up and go ahead with your workout.

I too have a ques, does it really works for Afternoon or evening workout?, as my friends suggest early morning workout is best.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Kramer,
Quote:

boinking on a bike

Puzzled

I'd heard of it. When I hit it for the first time I knew what it was! Horrible, was at the bottom of Cragg rd, near halifax on my mountain bike. (It was part of Le Tour, it's longest constant climb in England of about 6 miles) I felt like throwing bike over a wall and getting a taxi home. I'd gone too far with no fuel basically. I work shifts so have to fit things in where I can. Never do evening training anymore though, I end up too hyped and can't sleep. I also have a glass of luke warm water with half a fresh squeezed lemon in as soon as I get up in a morning. Supposed to be a miracle cure for any ailment on the planet Toofy Grin Inc stiff joints. Probably complete bull but it gets water in me and wakes me up.
snow report
I also have something protein rich ready for when I get back from a run or ride. 3 raw eggs and a yoghurt with a splash of milk in a protein shaker for a 'power shake' tastes good and is easy to get down. I don't want to lose weight, I'm pretty skinny to start, I'm eating like a horse since starting this campaign. I did my first ever 10k last week by myself on my midweek day off. According to strava it used 1100 calories. Did it again yesterday on slightly flatter route and used about 950. I can't stop eating but my wife isn't happy at me emptying the bloody fridge all the time Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy