Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kit for Colorado ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bearing in mind its sooo damn cold in winterpark, do I have to think about a certain type of jacket(s) and pants ?

Ive not been 'real' skiing for 10 odd years so im a bit out of touch with things... i spent all day looking for salopets that no one sells anymore !

Ive been looking at The North Face 3 in one type of jackets

will this suffice of should i be thinking about more layers appart from thermals ?

Puzzled

PS. Are we expecting new year sales in ski clothing ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would always go layers, far more flexible for me.

Wouldn't expect Colorado to be any colder than the alpes can get so I wear a microfleece, A fleece 200 mid layer and a hard shell.
I can vary this around a bit using a different mid layer - soft shell - and/or a wool base layer. All the kit is vented to let off steam..!!
If it was really cold, say -12 plus, at resort level I would add a fourth layer which would be the wool or silk base under the micro.
Always use my fleece hat and maybe a masque/balaclava if frostbite is an issue. Standard gloves etc.
I guess it is a case of knowing what works for you but this is what I have been using for the past few years now and I have never been wrong footed..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, I can be a little biting myself Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Royal, I skiied in WP when it was in the region of -40, which is a little colder than I've experienced in the Alpes.
Normally the temp up top is in the -10 - -20C range (i.e. around +10 - -10F)

My legs were normally covered by:
Silk thermals
Tenson ski pants
(they were warm/padded, and had vents)

Top:
Silk thermals
Microfleece
Tenson dual jacket - it was a shell jacket, but with a full padded jacket zipped into it

Head:
Helmet,
Goggles
Neoprene face mask

Hands:
Silk liners
Gloves.

I'm not wearing the Tenson gear any more, but layers are the answer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the responses,

hmme so i need to think about some sort of face mask (some say i should have thought about that years ago!)

are we talking about goggles rather than glasses then ??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Royal, yes, we are talking goggles! (apart from anything else, you'll also probably get several powder days when it will be dumping down, and glasses are useless then)
If you must wear glasses on the slopes, make sure they aren't metal framed, as it can be painful removing them when they have frozen to your face.

Face mask & goggles (with a helmet or hat) will mean that if you hit a really cold day you have no exposed skin. I was out once and there was a gap between my mask and goggles, and the scar on my cheek from the cold took several months to go away.

(Oh, and if you want me to add a bit of credibility to my experience, I'm looking at two season passes for WP, one from 1999/2000 and the other from 2000/2001, both with my ugly mug on them.)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheers mate.

so they let you out of jail eventually did they ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It has been pretty cold over here in CO recently - we recorded -50f with wind chill on the New Imperial Express over here in Breckenridge.

A face mask is a good idea for sure right now, although I hate wearing them so just use a windstopper neck gaiter pulled up to the nose for the lift rides up, and then put up with it on the way down. However, as my job entails being outside in the cold for upto 10 hours a day, I guess I'm kinda used to it.

Personally, although layers are great, if you are buying specifically for this trip, and this trip alone, I would recommend a down jacket with just a base layer or two under it. They are lighter and warmer by far, (and you can now get them with technical features, so ignore the responses that will no doubt follow about how they will get wet, etc) making them a much more common sight here in CO, UT, etc than in Europe, where keeping the damp out is half the problem.

However, the TNF multi layer stuff you show is also a good way to go to get more value for money, as it is a bit more versatile. And as i used to work for them, I can highly recommend the quality and features that they offer.

Oh, and as I mentioned the new lift, guess I better share the pics eh?? All from today, 15'12'05.

looking north towards frisco

Breck, from 12840ft

the lift line

lake chutes filling in nicely, but when are they opening?????
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JonL,

I'm surprised they haven't been poached...!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fantastic pictures
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy