Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this a good colour for ski helmets?

Poster: A snowHead
Presumably if you don't want anything to hit your head, then it's a good idea if your helmet is a disgusting colour.

I mean, would any bird or flying machine come anywhere near you if your helmet is this colour? Or am I getting over-technical?

Anyway, what's the safety verdict on this?

[caption competitors with viable explanations of this scene also welcome]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is an early photo of the BASI display team rehearsing for their opening routine at the Aviemore Winter Games circa 1980. Unfortunately the event was cancelled through lack of interest. It's believed that David Goldsmith is one of the participants.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Will you stop following me around"
"What do you mean? Ever since you speared my through the left eye with one of your poles, I've not really had too much choice"
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Georges was beginning to get worried that the locals might get wind of the new reactor they'd been working on up at the pass.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The helmet colour actually reminds me of the best Billy Connolly story I know, which is about Creme de Menthe, 'green hughie'*, the late Hughie Green (the obnoxious smarmy game show host of the 1960s), and the Pope.

Anyway, carry on.

*the meaning of this phrase will be revealed on demand.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"The teleportation device had hit some teething problems"
or
"The boffins were working on a new method for making pea soup"
or
"Thrilling experiments were in hand to add pea DNA to the human genome"

(Yup, I've heard the Connolly one)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"The camouflage worked brilliantly until Henry's Aunty Margaret insisted on Safety First and wouldn't let them out without head protection."
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds would find this inadequate.

But, then, we all knew it was about avoiding eye contact.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Netherlands "Synchronised Beginners' Schussing" team practice on the steepest hill in Holland.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GlowHeads
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
...I'm not sure what I was drinking last night, but I feel a bit green around the gills.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alan Craggs, I'm glad you identified the location. The danger of head injury from revolving windmill blades should not be underestimated.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The earthlings will never guess that we are using their ski poles as antennas.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's that Billy Connolly story, as I recall it (with skiing update):

Two Scotsmen in Rome (both wearing luminous green ski helmets, as it happens) go into a bar.

First Scotsman to barman: "Get me two pints o' heavy."
The barman fails to understand.
"Two pints o' heavy."
Barman: "We no have heavy."
Scotsman: "OK, what does the Pope drink?"
Barman: "Creme de Menthe."
Scotsman: "All right, fetch me two pints of that."

I can't really tell the rest of this joke in print, because it demands a strong Glaswegian voice, some very unpleasant gutteral sounds, and the words "Ralph" and "Hughie" shouted, in the form of the two Scotsmen violently throwing up....

....green Hughie.

You have to hear it, really. It's extremely funny. Anyway, back to those appalling green helmets.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 15-06-04 10:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"Creme de menthe, that's what the Pope drinks. It's nae wonder they carry him aboot in a chair!"
snow report
Caption - The Goldsmiths on Holiday
"Jackie went along with it as usual even though she really did think David had gone too far with the partner look this time."
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
Quote:

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds would find this inadequate.

But, then, we all knew it was about avoiding eye contact.

Actually, bird attacks on cyclists are very common in Australia, when the magpies (which are somewhat different from the European magpie, and a lot more aggressive) are establishing their breeding territories. The only defence against this used to be a wild flailing above the head with a bicycle pump (or similar implement) until some bright spark came up with the idea of sticking two large eyes (plastic stickons, or transfers) on the top of the cycling helmet. The birds apparently think that this is some nasty predator eyeing them up, and give the wearer a wide berth.

In fact, this is just copying nature. A number of butterflies and moths have evolved large "eye-spots" on their wings, which use the same principle of deterring predatory birds.
snow conditions
Does this work for seagulls? One attacked me on my morning run today...it had four or five goes at knocking my head off before giving up!!
latest report
Another fascinating thread diversion. Do seagulls have any aerial predators ? You'd have a hard job looking like a killer whale, homphomp. Here's a bird forum which indicates it's a common and serious problem but doesn't give a protective measure. You don't need to register. And from the BBC proposing a big stick and a helmet. Other relevant links from this page incl perhaps a contribution from a snowHead ?
Quote:
Whilst I have yet to be dive-bombed (shouldn't be too long living in Brighton), I do find their incessent squawking and destruction of bin bags extremely annoying. Surely we should consider a cull as it seems every rooftop has its fair share of "flying rats".
Dan, Brighton
latest report
I've often wondered why the evolutionary niche of "aerial piranha" hasn't been filled. The nearest I can think of are swarms of midges Shock
ski holidays
Ah yes, the aerial piranha: a fearsome flying fish which devours whole streets of TV antennae (and even satellite dishes, I'm told)
latest report
kuwait_ian wrote:
You'd have a hard job looking like a killer whale, homphomp.

It's my tendancy to look like a killer whale...especially after a winter of beer and fondue....that drags me out at six in the morning to be attacked by seagulls!!
ski holidays
It may be that they think they will be seen if they end up in an avalanche!!
snow report
I think they'd melt the snow around their heads if they were in an avalanche.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy