Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler cuts ski school prices by 50%

Poster: A snowHead
The ski school at Canadian ski complex Whistler-Blackcomb has cut its ski school prices by 50% for 11 weeks of the 2005-6 season to promote "a better experience".

The deal includes the opening weeks of the season to 18 December, the periods 16 January to 12 February, and 27 February to 12 March. A comprehensive training programme has also been introduced to enhance the professional standards of the 1200-strong team of instructors at the resort.

This report from FirstTracksOnline.

Any comments on Whistler's ski school?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been on their Ski Espirit courses a couple of times, as have various family members - they have always been great. Also (slightly off topic) my nephew joined the "Ride Tribe" teenage boarding class over new year 2004/5 and had a blast.
Am going back to Whistler next week, so might try out some of the half price deals.
They do half and one day "supergroups" with a small number of skiers in each one (3-5?) which should be good value.

Will report back
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, If they cut their prices by 50%, an as I understand it the Canadian instructors are not paid "proper" wages anyway, how will that enhance the professional standards?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have done a number of Ski Esprit and Dave Murray camps on a variety of trips to Whistler and cant speak highly enough of them , both as a learning experience and socially (since they both include post skiing drinking). The Ski school staff I have met have been uniformly great, enthusiastic to teach and generally very nice people. Im going back in January and the bonus this year is it is half price !!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski wrote:
David Goldsmith, If they cut their prices by 50%, an as I understand it the Canadian instructors are not paid "proper" wages anyway, how will that enhance the professional standards?

Fair question. Obviously I can't say whether this is hype on Whistler's part, or a genuine promise. It's certainly not the 'hypiest' stuff in the report concerned!

Often I insert words like 'reportedly', 'claimed' etc. in these summarised news items to indicate that the news is being summarised from an unverified source.

Thanks for making the point, Charlotte.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:

Maybe it's because the ski school is owned by WhistlerBlackcomb (Intrawest) and the half price lessons are in fact a loss leader to get more people into the resort generally? Compared to the amount they blew on deals and keeping everything going and everyone happy last January monsoon season, I suspect half price lessons (note they are also not at peak periods) are not too much of a big deal for them.
All the instructors I've skied with have been outstanding (and I've skied with quite a few - I've done nearly 100 days in lessons/camps/courses/etc in Whistler and plan quite a few more this season) - I'd certainly not be doubting their "professional standards"!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hello from Whistler.

I teach on the Supergroups programme, maximum of 3 per instructor.

50% off represents fantastic value, not only do you get the best instruction available, but you will also learn all the secret stashes of powder, all the hidden runs, and in effect, the best places to ski, and also glean all our knowledge of the best restaurants, hottest spots etc.!

And I can assure you that 50% off your price does in no way diminish any professionalism on mine or my colleagues part.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last season I think all the season pass holders got free lessons. I did a Women on the Edge course which I paid for but no-one else had, it was included in their lift pass. All had done the course several times that Winter. Nothing wrong with the tuition ,I just felt a bit left out-something that has never happened in a mixed ski class. My kids did a Ride Tribe skis group, and had a blast. Hubby enjoyed his class too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were there last january and despite the substandard snow (esp lower down) the Dave Murray and Supergroups were excellent.

I fact it's no exagerration to say that Ski Esprit is the reason Denise is still skiing - her group lessons in Val d'Isere at the hands of the ESF left her and another lady alone and in tears halfway up a mountain. Ski Esprit on the other hand had her *asking* to go back (to Whistler).
Oh, and it was free too - she won it in the free raffle at the Fire and Ice show Very Happy
This year she'll be doing again - twice - once full price and once half price with the special deal thingy.

I'm doing the Dave Murray on the 5-8th March and maybe again the next week.

One comment from Denise comparing Supergroups with Ski Esprit - Supergroups had different teacher/students each day so there was less continuity and she felt a touch more 'on her own' than with the Esprit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski Esprit is a first class teaching outfit.

I would certainly use it again -even at full price
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, I think you missed the point. As far as I understand it, you guys in Canada are only paid approx half what we're paid in France, Switzerland, Austria, USA and so on (although USA is quite dependent on tips). If the ski school owners are halving the price it's unlikely that they'll pay you more isn't it? You need proper professional wages to reflect the amount of time, effort and money spent training to get to the top level. It just sounds like hype, but worse it souns as thought they'll make you work harder for less money!!! Shocked Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
veeeight, I think you missed the point. As far as I understand it, you guys in Canada are only paid approx half what we're paid in France, Switzerland, Austria, USA and so on (although USA is quite dependent on tips). If the ski school owners are halving the price it's unlikely that they'll pay you more isn't it? You need proper professional wages to reflect the amount of time, effort and money spent training to get to the top level. It just sounds like hype, but worse it souns as thought they'll make you work harder for less money!!! Shocked Shocked

easiski,
It may be true that they would cut back, however as I said in my previous reply, this is Whistler not France and Intrawest pretty much run the whole show; if people don't come to Whistler and it falls in the ratings then the rich don't come and spend lots of cash on Intrawest developments, etc, etc... Therefore it is Intrawests interest to attract people whatever it takes - last year this meant heli-lifting snow, half price food, and completely free lessons for a while, but I suspect the instructors taking them still got paid (though I know quite a few didn't over that period because of the lack of people there taking lessons). Intrawest is a big international developer not a small ski school company so they can probably cover the discounts. Note thatthey are not offerring discounts on Extremely Canadian which isn't really part of the ski school.

Helen Beaumont wrote:
Last season I think all the season pass holders got free lessons. I did a Women on the Edge course which I paid for but no-one else had, it was included in their lift pass. All had done the course several times that Winter. Nothing wrong with the tuition ,I just felt a bit left out-something that has never happened in a mixed ski class. My kids did a Ride Tribe skis group, and had a blast. Hubby enjoyed his class too.

I was (and am) a season pass holder and didn't get any free lessons over the ones they were offering free to everyone which I though were just Supergroups (of a sort), and daily mountain improver lessons on Whistler. Didn't make too much odds to me anyway as I had (and have) a platinum pass which is far from free! rolling eyes snowHead .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is only one ski school here in Whistler Blackcomb, and it is owned and run by Intrawest, who also own all the lift infrastructure, the mountain operations, all mountain catering, most shops etc.

So it's one big business - In order to attract customers and clients Intrawest will do whatever they have to do to market the resort.

50% off lessons does in no way diminish what I get paid.

Besides which - no Instructor this side of the pond teaches skiing for the money. We do it for the passion, and if it pays the bills, thats a bonus.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The decrease isnt in anyway to do with the exchange rate? The canadian dollar is very poor at the moment, i wondered whether we might see more canadian price drops to try and encourage the visitors who may otherwise be put off canada at the moment....

Adam
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
veeeight, So in other words you're not professional? I love teaching ski-ing, but it's my living, and having spent around £10,000 (not to mention the time and effort) to get all the appropriate qualifications I do expect to get properly paid for it!

I'm not putting down any Canadian ski teachers, but this it one reason why it would be a nightmare to have Intrawest getting too big over here. While we may choose to do this job, I really don't see why we (or you) shouldn't be properly paid for it. Big companies are only interested in the bottom line. Lack of competition is also a bad thing IMO.

I've always wanted to come to Whistler, but now I'm feeling quite put off by the owners!!!!
ski holidays
easiski, Having only been once - I suggest it's worth a trip. It's *nice* Smile
It would be fantastic if the Europeans (resorts, schools and people) could learn a few things.

Sure, Intrawest are a huge, money grabbing corporation interested only in money. That's the world we live in.
snow report
Quote:

veeeight, So in other words you're not professional?

I'll thank you to keep you barbed your comments to yourself, if you don't wish to start a bun fight.

I'll say this once more. In no way does the amount of recompense I get affect mine, or my colleagues commitment and professionalism to ensuring our clients get the highest level of instruction, combined with the best mountain experience that we can offer.

Just because instructors that side of the pond may get paid more, it doesn't necessarily follow that their guest and clients benefit from any increased wage that instructors may or may not get.
snow report
veeeight wrote:

I'll say this once more. In no way does the amount of recompense I get affect mine, or my colleagues commitment and professionalism to ensuring our clients get the highest level of instruction, combined with the best mountain experience that we can offer.

I've no idea what the instructors at WB get paid, but as a client I'd certainly second that. Supergroups aren't really my thing, but I can't remember that ever being down to the instructor.
I'm sure working for intrawest isn't that great, but for me the ski school is one of the reasons I spend so much time in Whistler (and so little in France where of course they only have incredibly rude, great skier/poor teacher, non-caring instructors with huge classes - see I can make wild stereotypical accusations too! Razz )

I'm not sure either why you have it in for Intrawest - is it bad to be sucessful? As I pointed out, intrawests deep pockets saved the early part of last season (plus the hard work of the groomers who found snow from every last corner of the mountain, instructors who still managed to appear cheerful despite me making them stand out in the pouring rain, etc, etc, etc). Is it better to be 'fleeced' by a big corporation who at least have an interest (albeit commercial) in you having a good overall experience, or some local who charges you £6 for a pint of lager or £3 for a hot chocolate?
Fortunately easiski I get to vote with my money and you'll probably never have to worry about teaching me in LDA (veeeight you might not be so lucky! wink )
latest report
Some of the best instructors I've skied with have come through the Canadian system Most of the worst have come through BASI. BASI have been responsible for generations of rubbish skiers. Only in the last 10 years has the I in BASI had any real meaning! Also a big thanks must go to the Austrians, who held back the development of skiing as a technique for decades!

Just my opinion.
snow conditions
veeeight, I was very careful to say that I was not criticising canadian instructors. However, if your job is not full time and it doesn't pay your mortgage etc. you are not a pro in the job. You can do your part-time job in a professional manner - agreed, but if it's not your living I don't see how you can be considered "a professional".

lbt, It doesn't have to be.

stuarth, If you bothered to read many other posts, you'd already know that I take max 4 people, charge less than half most of the "Brit" ski schools, and that LDA is not expensive. Please don't think of all European resorts in the same breath as Val D and Courcheval!!!

Tim Brown, But were they Grade 1s? In the past there have been too many BASI 3s out there pretending to know what they're doing. Of course they're cheap to employ ........... ps: I'm not entirely disagreeing with you.
ski holidays
easiski, forgot to say that the VERY best instructor I've ever skied with was, and still is I hope, a BASI trainer. And, yes, I'm sorry to say that one of the VERY worst was a BASI grade 1. Or so he said.
ski holidays
easiski,
Are you trying to provoke me - if so it's working? Twisted Evil I was making a point (incidently there are some very good ski schools in both Val D and Courchevel)
I did write a huge ranting reply, but I really am not that bothered what you think (except you are slating friends of mine) so I deleted most of it.

[rant]
You don't seem to get what I was trying to say it so I'll put it in summary:
a) Intrawest probably have a lot of money and run the whole resort so discounting lessons probably isn't a big deal - it's a marketing tool
b) I really don't care whether the instructors are by your definition "professional" and whether they have mortgages or not (though I know at least a few that do), what I care about is the fact they provide almost without exception first class teaching and an all round good experience. These are _my_ only requirements of a ski instructor.
[/rant]

Anyway Mrs H, who this season is only in Whistler for 3 weeks, and doesn't have a platinum pass, thinks the half price lessons are a very good thing snowHead
snow conditions
stuarth, totally agree with you. I hold the Whistler ski instructors in very high regard too. Being a ski instructor is a seasonal job for most instructors, so the whole debate about what equals the dictionary definition of a professional is a waste of time.
latest report
Quote:

I was very careful to say that I was not criticising canadian instructors. However, if your job is not full time and it doesn't pay your mortgage etc. you are not a pro in the job. You can do your part-time job in a professional manner - agreed, but if it's not your living I don't see how you can be considered "a professional".

I have no further wish to partake in this particular debate, easiski. It's off topic, and to be frank, you appear to not have a very broad view of things.

If you want to change the world and the recompense that ski instructors get this side of the pond feel free to partake in this Epic thread.

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=27737&page=1

As for your defintion of professional it is my only full time job, and therefore my living.

Whilst the pay and conditions may not be ideal I don't take this out on my clients. They are afforded my full attention, ability and passion 150% of my time to give them the best instruction, guest and mountain experience available.

One thing emerging from this debate very clearly (for me anyway) is that one of the benfits of working under an umbrella of a corporation such as Intrawest is that together, we are all (different departments) commited to providing the best guest services and experiences, off and on the mountain.

Maybe, for me, that is what counts as professional behaviour.

Thats quite enough from me!
ski holidays
easiski - I don't know what you earn but I suspect if you transplanted yourself to Whistler on your current earnings you would struggle to pay a mortgage on any reasonable size property (if you can I'm off to take my speed tests & become a French Instructor!) - would this suddenly mean you became less of an instructor?
snow report
I've done a couple of weeks skiing with the Ski Esprit and each time received the best instruction I've had in 10 weeks of total instruction - it quite literally p1ssed over anything I've had in Europe (particularly ESF). Both times I tipped the instructor well (as is customary in N America?) as did the rest of the group and I was happy to give the guy his due.

So although the Europeans may get a better package - do the Canadians/Americans get a better end package with the tips?

Cheers

BB
ski holidays
Hurrah, i have delibiretaly (sp?) booked my second trip of the season to coincide with the discovery weeks in Feb/Mar so that i can take advantage of the 1/2 price Esprit and DM camps, and am looking forward to it.

But, first things first, the first trip! 4 sleeps, and then out there i go.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Robbie,
When are you out for the second time exactly?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hee hee hee, See you there Stuie! Feb 23 - Mar 10

No knocking me off teh runs this year ok?? rolling eyes

Laughing
ski holidays
Robbie, hey - so we'll overlap this year!!
Denise will be pleased!
Where are you staying? Got time to pop over one evening for a coffee before you go? PM me.

stuarth, you out there all season again??? Lucky man!
latest report
Robbie wrote:
Hee hee hee, See you there Stuie! Feb 23 - Mar 10

No knocking me off teh runs this year ok?? rolling eyes

Laughing

Me, would I? Blush Little Angel

lbt wrote:
stuarth, you out there all season again??? Lucky man!

Not quite all season this year I'm afraid, only a few months, also got to come back for a week or so to go to France (skiing of course! Razz ) snowHead
latest report
Right, i had enough of this "no i get 2 weeks in whistler", this is better, that is worse.................

Booked a flight out on 05 jan to conduct a "4 month study" into this Whistler, and the canadian ski instructor malarky. I will report to the masses how i get on.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

See some of you out there?

BTW I did my early ski intructor training experiance with/for the ESF, and am familar with BASI and other uk systems for a comparison.

Any advice from the masses?

==============
EDIT
==============
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 12-12-05 15:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
paulhothersall, hmm that's only 3 smiley's per month. You can do better than that!!

To start with I suggest that you run a service for all :sh:'s and take them to the best bits that you've found so far!!!

And let them take you to any choice spots that *they* picked up - I know a lovely drop-in to a chute (sp?). Its up that stupidly steep poma on Whistler and under the ropes to the right. I know how to get there but not what it's called. Robbie?

You can team up with stuarth and practically eat and drink for free!!
ski holidays
lbt wrote:

You can team up with stuarth and practically eat and drink for free!!

now that sounds like a plan
latest report
paulhothersall,

05 Jan flight? if it's the BA one I'll see you there! snowHead

If you're going to do a lot of lessons > CA$4000 worth, then get a Platinum Pass (Dave Murray and Extremely canadian are definitely worth doing every week for a start, you only have to do 5 of each to blow $4K otherwise - last season I did 14 DMs and 8 ECs Shocked snowHead )

lbt,

Where's the poma on Whistler? There's a steepish T-bar on blackcomb and a couple of normalish T-bars (one pair on Whistler, one on Blackcomb). Can find you lots of other steep chutes if you like, but you might be better off (safer!) with veeeight snowHead
I'm relying heavily on the Apres to keep me going food wise, due to last years extravagent season (ski in/out appartment (albeit temporary!), new skis, boots, 2 x jackets, etc) this year I shall be living like a student and stocking up on the Ski Esprit/Dave Murray Camp Pizza, and Extremely Canadian Nacho's/wings snowHead
snow conditions
veeeight, have you noticed how no one is agreeing with easiski? It's just an observation. wink Cool
snow report
I am on the fly zoom from manchester and landing @ 13:10 local. It is probably about the same price as the BA when factoring in the excess baggage, but goes form a local airport.

i'm looking to blow a load of money, but on courses. Want to do the at least the CSCF level 2, and head towards a CSIA 3 if possible. I will need to remember how to ski moguls, and learn powder properly for that though. Racing is easy by comparison Very Happy

The tiny amount I have left is for food and drink..............I'm staying in "trappers cabin"
http://www.seasonit.co.uk/trappers.htm which is here http://www.seasonit.co.uk/map.htm. Hopefully these guys are ok, and i haven't been to ripped off by a last minute season booking.

Regarding a work permit, I am about to send of for the BUNAC system, unless anyone knows of a "job offer" scheme?
latest report
Snowy wrote:
veeeight, have you noticed how no one is agreeing with easiski? It's just an observation. wink Cool

to be fair the french fanboys wouldn't be seen dead reading/posting to a thread about "that skiing place over the pond"

I have quite a few french instructor friends, and even more BASI mates so i can understand his side of the coin to an extent.
snow report
paulhothersall,
or even her wink

Trappers Cabin looks like a good spot (White Gold) and pretty decent Price for Whistler (the place I'm sharing is a fair bit more than that, also unfortunately close to Splitz grill and Sachi Sushi which means I'll be tempted into eating out loads!). I'm thinking of doing CSCF 1 (I'm not really CSIA material Madeye-Smiley ) - do they do CSCF courses in Whistler?
latest report
paulhothersall, i think you'll find it fairly tough to get a job sponsorship out there i'm afriad, but lots of Brits there on Bunacs.

HAve a blast! See you out there.

RObbie.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy