Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Franz Klammer: ski racing speeds are "too fast"

Poster: A snowHead
Franz Klammer, gold medal downhiller at the 1976 Winter Olympics, spoke out yesterday against the design of race courses - and skis - which are "too fast" for safety.

"There has to be a limit like in Formula One where they are going from 10 cylinders to eight," said Klammer. "Speeds on the straights are way too fast, people are injuring themselves without even falling."

This report from CBS SportsLine.

----------------
If ski races were slowed down, would people watch them on TV? Clearly, the risk of injury in ski racing is significant - is Klammer's solution the right one?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I prefer watching Super G to downhill, I think it's because in downhill the racers look to be around the point of being out of control, and not particularly graceful, whilst in Super G they are in bit more controlled and, to my eye rather more graceful. To be honest I prefer watching the snowy scenery behind the racers...but I think that's missing the point. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think a reduction in speed would be particularly noticeable to the viewer. You certainly can't tell in F1
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, A little while back I saw the footage again of his Olympic DH Gold in 76. There seemed to be almost no protection from the crowd or the trees lining the course... a few straw bales basically. Think I'd rather be going at today's speeds and have all the crash protection than a bit slower with nothing. I also think we see far fewer crashes now than we used to. The Hahnemkann, for example, was carnage (esp for the higher start numbers) in klammer's day.

At the same time, I understand the female racers are demanding to ski more men's courses to make it more a test.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It all comes down to what the racers think. They are the ones participating.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's not so much that the speeds on the straights is faster, but that the better equipment allows the racers to take the turns faster, increasing the centrifugal forces exerted on them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Martin Bell, But do you think the courses should be slowed down?

Ian Hopkinson, My favourite to watch is slalom, followed by GS - I don't find downhill very interesting (sorry Martin), but I do think the best TV skiing is Super G which has all the thrills and spills for the general public, and the speed is more visible due to the turns.

I don't understand why people like watching crashes - I can always imagine what it feels like - ooouuuuucccchhhhh - perhaps I've had too many of my own? Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
downhill is sooo much better than slalom, can just about tolerate SuperG tho

and crashes, like in motor sports is funny, until someone gets hurt...

...then its hilarious
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have never been a great watcher of skiing on tv, but when i do, my feeling on the downhill is that the way to win is to ski closest to the edge. Like mentioned above, it looks very ragged and ugly.

Adam
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As long as the skiers want to do it, let them. I know a couple of downhillers whom, if ignored, their hunger for speed, they would prefer to be vegatables. They would take up Moto GP and push it there. This is what they need to feel alive, you and i are the lucky ones, our instinct to survive doesn't need this. Make it safer perhaps but make it quicker for sure. Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, well, you can either slow down the courses themselves by making the turns tighter, which would have the downside of increasing those centrifugal forces - or slow down the racers' ability to negotiate those courses by increasing the minimum sidecut radius of the skis, which has the downside of "turning back" the equipment development clock. Or perhaps make the DH suits slower, by increasing the air porosity requirement.
Downhill is only interesting if very well covered by the TV - bad camera positioning can totally remove the elements of steepness and speed, and the size of the jumps. I also agree that it has become harder to watch because the time differences have become so minute that it's impossible to tell the racers apart.
Slalom, in that sense, is a little easier, because mistakes are still more noticeable. And is much better live, of course, because you can see the whole run.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Might another acceptable way to reduce speed be less steep runs? Though I guess the feeling of tradition would be lost if different courses had to be used.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Martin Bell, I'm not sure if I'm right, but my impression was that the speeds hadn't increased enormously until the advent of the carving ski. I don't have stats, but I have a feeling there was only a couple of seconds in it at Kitzbuhel between 1950s and Klammer. I think the racers will do something if they feel it's getting too dangerous, but there seem to be less accidents recently, and certainly the catch fencing is a great help (although it must be ghastly going into it).

Having actually watched the Laurberhorn race live a few times, and a couple of others, I don't think most skiers have any idea of the steepness or speed from the TV - you have to be there to believe it. TV minimises everything. Perhaps the racers should be forced to wear regular ski gear???? wink wink wink

Of course I'm biased pro slalom (and GS no.2) as that was always my favourite, and I love to watch the technical stuff and learn from it. Boy - can these guys SKI!!!

Nick Zotov, Most of the Lauberhorn run isn't actually very steep at all - just that they're going straight! Hanegg schuss is pretty scary if you take it from the top though!!! Shock Shock
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Having actually watched the Laurberhorn race live a few times, and a couple of others, I don't think most skiers have any idea of the steepness or speed from the TV - you have to be there to believe it.

An ESF instructor took a group of us down a section of the 'olympique luc alphand' piste in Serre Chevalier once. Steep isn't the right word to describe it Shocked

I definitely prefer GS to other forms of racing, but slalom leaves me in awe quite a lot too. And reminds me I never want to try slalom rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, Zielschuss is steeper, The Hanegg schuss is between 21 and 26 degrees, the Zielschuss is some 42 degrees but of course it's only about half the vertical drop
ski holidays
I wondered yesterday if the pressure to meet TV deadlines for scheduled live coverage slots might not influence the safety aspect, yesterday's conditions in Val were touch and go really for the Downhill to take place, Anja Pearson was being pretty careful in a chat just after her run but it was clear she thought the race - if not necessarily too dangerous - was certainly unfair.
latest report
D G Orf, Yeah, but the zielschuss is very short with a nice flat bit at the bottom to stop - Hanegg is sooo scary if you straight line it from the bridge - don't forget that the bridge is a relatively modern thing - they used to jump the woodpath!! Shocked

PG, I think you might be right - pity the racers don't get more of that money.
snow conditions
easiski, It's funny, I'm not quite sure how one (the TV people that is) gets the speed/danger sensation across. I mean, to me, each individual pitch isn't that steep. You know, the OK's a lovely run.

At 20 miles an hour doing short turns and keeping control in place that is.

It seems to me that it's when racers enter that steep pitch already carrying 60-70 miles an hour of pace (in a different direction if we're being vector oriented) that it must become an entirely different game of skill and risk!!! [Pours stiff brandy at the very thought...]

What I guess I'm getting at is it must be really difficult to make into a TV sport. Although, I reckon so is F1 and that seems to have little trouble garnering sponsorship revenues.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy