Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres Munich airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Does anyone know if winter tyres come as standard on hire cars at Munich airport? I was checking hire prices on arguscarhire this morning and cannot see any info on tyres.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only honest answer is check what you are booking and paying for. They probably will all HAVE winter tyres fitted, but when you pay for them is the real issue. Some reservations include them, most you pay at the airport. Don't get caught out as it can be a pricey additional charge
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jafa, Thanks, that's what I suspected. Hoped that I was wrong as it would save an awful lot of hassle
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from a Munich trip. Winter tyres were included with Autoeurope - excellent price (£78/4 days); free cancellation; and Quidco cashback too Very Happy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the holiday autos site it shows whether or not winter tyres are included in the price if hired at Munich Airport
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We've used Munich a few times and I usually book through www.carrentals.co.uk . As mentioned above check the rental condition carefully on the different suppliers, some will include winter tyres, some like to slip in " charge for winter tyres is payable locally ". The bigger companies such as Hertz, europcar etc have in my experience included winter tyres in the quoted price.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In germany it is a legal requirement for cars to have all 4 winter tyres from Nov to April (its a long time since i've seen it written but it was in my European map under driving rules) so I can assume that they would come with winters
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@eetherington, sorry but it is not law (as in other countries) that you must have winter tyres on all vehicles between such and such dates, it is advisory only. This means you MAY be issued a car without winter tyres, however you can reject this as not being roadworthy, i.e. fit for the purpose.

The law states that a vehicle must have equipment suitable for the prevailing weather conditions. If it is winter in Munich, the day time temperatures are most likely to be less than 7°C, especially out in Halbergmoos where the airport is. Regardless of whether there is snow on the ground or not, normal summer tyres do not perform as safely. Any accident you are involved in in winter when your vehicle has summer tyres on, will result in you being deemed partially, or even wholly culpable. That's why most of us down here all change from summer tyres to winter ones in or around October and change back to summers in April/early May. There are still some people who don't, but mostly they don't drive in winter!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A guy at work got stung for winter tyres on a hire car at Munich airport. He didn't know he was being charged for them until he got his credit card statement. He successfully didn't pay the charge, the usual harrassment process was followed by the hire company and it dragged on for months. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On a related matter. I'm about to book a car at MUC but want to have winter tyres AND CDW excess reduced to 0€, anyone got any hints who offers best deal for the excess reduction and is this booked at time of booking or pickup?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29: I have an annual policy covering car hire excess. It covers any 2 named drivers at a total cost of about £80 IIRC. (My bro and I pay half each, so it's very cost effective versus the rip off rates charged by the car hire firms.)

I can't remember the name of the company at the minute (sorry...brother usually sorts it) but there are a few that offer the same sort of cover - Google will reveal all.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict,
Don't know if it's the same company but Inuss insurance 4 car hire.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
insurance4carhire.com. £40 per year for UK & Europe.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy