Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil Pre Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads - I'm going to Morzine 18 to 22 December - there are 3 of us in the group - 2 beginners and me an intermediate.

I am thinking suggesting we just get the Avoriaz pass - Are there enough easy runs in the Avoriaz area? or would Les Gets be better for the beginners?

From memory there are some easy blues/greens between Avoriaz centre and the top of the Super Morzine lift. It's a few years since I was there and I spent most of the time on the runs above Les Prodains so memories are a bit fuzzy.

I'm likely to be solo skiing in the mornings while the other two are in lessons - are there any runs/areas worth aiming for? (I don't mind upgrading to a Portes du Soleil pass for myself)

Any advice would be very much appreciated Smile Thanks, Henry
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the whole of the pds doesn't open until the 20th of dec,there is plenty of gentle runs in and around avoriaz to cater for your group,we go out on the 13th for a week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Henwc, I would wait until you get there to see how much snow on the ground. Avoriaz should be fine for your group, especially for a short trip
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys - I'll wait until we get there but plan on Avoriaz only Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where are they in lessons? That will dictate which pass to get.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Le Gets and Morzine are quite low and suffer badly in poor snow so wait and see what the weather is like.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Because it's a short trip we went for private lessons so there is some flexibility - the plan is for them to be in Avoriaz. It sounds very likely we will end up with just the Avoriaz pass but as suggested we will wait until we get there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If the beginners are first-timers then for Avoriaz they will have to get the bus up/back from Morzine as you do need to ski between the top of the Super Morzine and where lessons meet in Avoriaz. Sure they may make it along the flat traverse going over but if they've never put skis on before the last drop down in to the centre of Avoriaz won't do much for their confidence!

For first-timers having lessons (and so ski passes) for the Morzine/Les Gets side would be easier.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mjit wrote:
If the beginners are first-timers then for Avoriaz they will have to get the bus up/back from Morzine as you do need to ski between the top of the Super Morzine and where lessons meet in Avoriaz. Sure they may make it along the flat traverse going over but if they've never put skis on before the last drop down in to the centre of Avoriaz won't do much for their confidence!

For first-timers having lessons (and so ski passes) for the Morzine/Les Gets side would be easier.

The OP said they are having private lessons so usually some flexibility as to where they meet. They could go up and down by the Prodains cablecar couldn't they? That might be easier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes they will be able to use the prodains
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK, they will have to get the bus to the Prodains cable car then Smile

My point was that just walking to the Pleney would be easier, though lessons are slightly cheaper up in Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the info everyone! Are there greens from the top of the cable car to the meeting points or will the guys need to walk? Not a biggie but it's worth managing expectations Smile

One of the beginners is an ok boarder so we are planning to go round with him on his board the day before the lessons

Cheers
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Henwc, ...... useful web addy........... http://www.chatelweb.com/index.php
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the link - Is there any chance of there being enough open for me to make it over to Chatel and back to Morzine in an afternoon? I might even ride the new lift if it is open
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Henwc, new lift not now planned to open until January. Pre la Joux and Linga sectors should be open for you with Super Chatel opening from the 20th.
snow conditions
@Henwc, Avoriaz opens (snow permitting) Dec 12. On the positively awful Chatel site you can't buy a Chatel pass for a date earlier than Dec 20. So I'm guessing they have no plans to open any earlier.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Henwc, Avoriaz opens (snow permitting) Dec 12. On the positively awful Chatel site you can't buy a Chatel pass for a date earlier than Dec 20. So I'm guessing they have no plans to open any earlier.

mmmm Confused that's odd as their advertised opening dates for PLJ sectors are earlier, weekends from end of Nov IIRC, and certainly PLJ/Linga that week before 20th. I agree it is an odd site. I've bought passes from the neighbouring sites before as they're easier to use.
ski holidays
@sarah, I couldn't (with a fairly cursory glance) see any advertised dates... The perennial complaint. Why don't T.O.s understand that the important information is the information we want to see first? rolling eyes rolling eyes

And why are ski station sites so universally poor-appallingly bad.

And as for the English translations? "Livre d'Or" does not mean "Golden Book"... rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
@under a new name, it's on there somewhere as I looked the other day but agree it's not obvious.

Golden book Laughing
snow report
Chatel Pre la Joux opens weekends from last weekend Nov, first weekend of December, then open full-time, with Linga, from 13 Dec. The rest of Chatel opens 20 Dec.

For Henwc, the Linga/Pre la Joux link with Avoriaz is open from 13th.

http://skipass.chatel.com/opening-periods.html
latest report
Thanks for the info everyone - I guess I had better check the snow out before I get overexcited and plan a PDS grand tour though Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy