Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Retractable cable locks

Poster: A snowHead
I have bought a couple of these (ridiculously cheap at £2 each) off ebay. I'm planning on using them this year.

I reality I'm guessing it's not an anti-theft device, but really just to stop people who *don't* want to steal my skis.

Any folks on here use them - any experiences tips etc ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Be careful not to thread it through your own earring/nipple ring etc etc?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Best used to lock your mates skis to the rack without telling him.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

I always take out the Prince Albert for skiing anyway.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we use these which are light ebough to keep in pocket but really offer no security whatsoever. I borrowed a lifty's wire cutters last year when I used (I think) SiL's one by mistake. No questions asked by him or anyone watching.

However, a. sufficient deterrent that the casual envious thief will be less likely to take my skis, b. they are locked from an insurance point of view (maybe) and c. (most importantly) my skis will not wander off on some muppet's shoulders by mistake.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is my first season with my own skis, same for my other half. I bought a couple of Safeman locks for us.

I fully understand that it's mostly a visual deterent and to stop them accidentley walking off after lunch. Any thief who is truly determined, as with anything really, will be able to bypass the lock. It's just a small added bit of security for peace of mind. At least I did as much as I could to stop them disappearing. They were quite cheap, £13 each from a cycle shop online and I like the way they do a double loop to keep things nice and tight.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Doctor, that's how I feel. If only 10% are using them, then there are 90% who are even softer targets, even though they would only delay someone for 5 seconds if they wanted to.
And yes, as per c) from other post , I've had the moment where there's a pair of skis left in the rack that look like yours but don't fit !!

Actually they were from Amazon, £2-15 and no postage. I'm guessing they'll last one holiday at most.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eblunt wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My father in law actually did point c when in Salbach. After 1 or 2 drinks in a bar managed to get a pair of skis on his feet that actually fitted and skied to the bottom of the mountain. Then realised his mistake. The lifts were all shut so he had to pay a man on a skidoo to take him back up to the bar, the festivities were still in full swing, where he swapped his skis back, found his own and no one was non the wiser. It's always a great story that he rolls out when ever we do ski chat around the table.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

That's best. You don't want the metal to freeze and cause frostbite down there - do you?

Likewise, ladies, earrings out when it's a bit chilly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good idea - I've just bought one of these - £2 delivered from Hong Kong. As others have said, it won't stop thieves; but (1) they're locked as far as the insurance is concerned and (2) it stops muppets taking skis by mistake. Result.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Exactly my experience. Had skis taken twice by mistake from outside restaurants. Once they were returned when the "thief" got to the top of the lift and realised his mistake. Second time they disappeared for ever and I was left with a similar pair (same make and model (though different version), slightly smaller, bindings same fit). Mine were better though as the others had very thin bases - so perhaps not an accident. We now use a cheap retractable cycle lock like that illustrated (got it from Aldi). We did have two of them but one wouldn't release so a kind ski service shop cut it loose with some wire cutters! So definitely not the last word in security!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What's particularly galling about the accidental ski swap is that the ski shop will promptly charge you €200 for 'lost' skis (and presumably the other shop does the same). They then swap then back and they've had a nice litle earner between then.

My son had his taken by accident midweek in LDA, and the other bloke took them back to his own ski shop. When my son appeared there to pick them up they wouldn't release them initially (saying that they wanted the other pair to swap them with). It was only when he started to phone the police to report them as stolen , did they hand them over. I'm convinced they had another nice little earner in mind.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had one of these, accidentally locked it on to my bike without remembering the code (can change with every use). I managed to snap the housing and release the lock with little more than an Allen key, took less than 10 seconds. But as you say it's enough to stop some one wandering off with your skis accidentally.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Stumbler, I think I have bought the same one for £2 from Hong Kong as well. Yes easy to break, but some sort of deterrent as well
latest report
Will the thieves care about 2 yo dynastar Cham skis? I never lock them in the states, but hear in the alps its a bigger deal for thefts. Ski swap or just putting the single ski here and another there?
snow report
@redwine, maybe not , but for only £2 it's probably less effort to bung the lock on, rather than splitting them.
ski holidays
@eblunt. Very true, good point. I'm usually so stupid, I forget where I hide the dam things.
ski holidays
I tried Safeman locks once, they fell apart in my hands and when I looked the build quality didn't encourage me to use them any more. If the OP checks the forum search they will find that more substantial locks are available as recommended in my previous postings on the subject.
snow conditions
We have happily used Safeman locks for the last 3 full seasons without any problems. They are used at every stop during the day and I find using a key much easier than fiddling around with combinations locks. Can be done with gloves on Very Happy
ski holidays
as per original post...
I use them only to make a numpty think "Oh these aren't mine, are they?", and because my insurance says they're only covered if "forcibly removed".

edit: and indeed with the cable thru the heel piece, on some models of skis/binding, you can simply remove the brake with a single philips screwdriver to remove the cable.
snow conditions
Another vote for Safeman.
snow report
We carry these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kryptonite-Snowsports-Combo-Lock-Peak-Security-Ski-Snowboard-Cycling-/131156863966 One of these coils neatly into our pockets and is only £7.99 from ebay. It does have the appearance of being more of a deterrent than the thin ones.
snow report
Use a safeman, takes afew seconds to tie up couple of skis. Not going to resist a boltcutter but when near lifts at apres will stop the accidental miss carry or the "walker" taking them by accident. Also will some chalets/hotels with a relaxed bootroom door policy can detire the walkin and walkout taker.
End of the day, like helmets, up to you but accept the results.
snow conditions
I use an 8mm coil cable bike lock. With skis and touring bindings adding up to a lot of money and no insurance it's a no brainer for me.
snow conditions
I have also used coil bike cable lock (key) for years with no problem. I agree the thin ski locks are better than nothing but they are pretty flimsy, but it is hard to stop a determined thief. However most locks will stop an innebriate's error.
ski holidays
Same as ADEski - we use 2 cable locks - flimsey but a deterrant.... When in hotels I sleep better at night knowing our skis are locked in the very public boot rooms & my boots are under my bed...
I had seen on one ski rack, some decent skis with naff gaffa tape on the tops, making them look very 2nd hand, plus easier to spot....
latest report
Really thinking about getting one of these for the season. As everyone has said, I'd feel better with it for the deterrent it is to numpties or casual thieves, rather than expecting it to stand up to much. Mine are pretty old now, but they're mine, I like them, don't particularly want someone wandering off with them from a cafe or an apres bar.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I cheapy cable lock, and agree with the others, won't stop a determined theif. BUt when I'm worried, I'll lock one of my skis to a freinds single ski. Unless they are actively watching where we put ther others (3 way split is best) then they are safe.

Pedestrian friendly lift accessed resturants and apres ski places are the worst - when working for tour ops and ski shops these were the places clients lost skis.

At one shop once we started putting packing tape (yes the cheap brown stuff) on the skis, just enough to write the clients name on, skis magicaly stopped going walkies Wink
ski holidays
The real anti numpty solution is to take a simple white shipping sticker printed boldly with

"F### off these ain't yours!! and place prominently on tip of one ski.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy