Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vail -Which location to stay?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Vail in March but am not sure where to stay. I've heard that Vail Village is the main one but some say Lionshead is now better, given the lift system.

Is this right? Or is one of the others better?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The physical distance between Vail Village and Lionshead amounts to a ten minute walk to put that into perspective and busses are constantly going back and forth................... Getting up on the mountain be same via Vista Bahn/Gondola One (Vail) or the Eagle Bahn (Lionshead) lift is irrelevant. In either case you're on top of the mountain adequately enough and can migrate around front or back once up through either...............

Because Vail is relatively compact........, more than anything, what is your budget range for a night's - week's stay...........? I say this as you can spend a sizeable amount of money and then some or less depending upon where you choose to stay. You make the call......... Are you looking for a pure hotel, or lodging that offers at least a mini kitchen which would then get into the whole condo thing? Also, will you arrive by car or shuttle? I'm assuming you're doing the BA LHR to DEN shuffle, so if upon arrival in DEN you either hop into a shuttle, grab a car or fly to Eagle Vail and then get a shuttle or get your own wheels, what's that call? In all candor once in Vail - assuming again you'd select a facility within the greater Vail complex in toto - you pretty much do not need wheels unless you insist upon going to Minturn, Avon, Edwards (West) for dinner. If, on the other hand you are compelled to stay down in the valley - the West, then a car would be essential to get to Vail as the shuttle busses might lose precious time for you. You have some critical choices to make beginning and ending with lodging cost. Once you arrive at that then and only then can an intelligent - practical selection be suggested, thusly made. To simply suggest this facilty or that may not be appropriate based upon your budget, assuming you have a budget.

Get back on your budget and we can sensibly take it from there.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 11-12-14 16:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As suggested by equinoxranch, not sure it makes too much difference. Buses run pretty constantly. Lionhead is on the far West and if you're heading to Blue Sky Basin it's a bit of a ski, but it's a fun trip. Lifts at Lionhead are probably less busy. I'd probably prefer Vail Village, but not too much too much to chose from between the two.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What's nice about Vail is that the resort is right next to the freeway, so the end of your journey (probably from Denver?) is straightforward. If the weather is bad, you'll also appreciate the nearness to the freeway in terms of driving stress. When we stayed we booked a studio near to the main car park in the Village. There are some nice hotels but they're pricey, and given you can use hotel facilities like the cinema, bars and restaurants, even as a non-resident, then a studio will give you space to chill out. Eating out needn't be expensive but again, you can pay a lot if you want. Our stay in Vail was still the most expensive per head of any we've done (and that includes full board in central Verbier in the New Year week!). But the skiing is great and I'd do it again if it wasn't so far away.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vail outside school holidays is cheap compared to courchevel in half term.

We have stayed in the lodge (overpriced, but nice) and the apollo park (great value and really good).

If you can get an apollo park i would. Near village centre, near bus stop, near parking, walking distance to lift.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Vail this weekend. I'll report back. We are actually in lions head, which has improved a lot since what I remember it to be a while back.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most of the "action" is at Vail rather than at Lionshead (more restaurants, bars, etc). However, the distance between the two is negligible, a very easy walk or a free shuttle ride. We actually stayed at Lionshead as we found better lodging there, and I would not hesitate to stay there again in a similar situation. Skiing is great from both locations. If you had identical lodging options in both places I would probably pick Vail, but honestly, both are absolutely fine.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey. I just got back. Stayed in lionshead. Quite a cute village and like others have said pretty close to vail village. Shuttle bus runs a lot and easier to get onto the gondola on the lionshead side. I think lodging is cheaper also which is why we would up there.

Having said that, given the choice and if the cost difference is not to great I would stay in vail village. You will just be going there more often than not and while a lot of shuttle busses waiting in the cold for one after dinner is not that fun.

As for skiing this weekend. Fri and sat was meh.istly groomed as no snow for 3 weeks. That all changed Sunday with 6" of freshies and powder!!! Very scratchy underneath but still awesome. Have fun.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Vail is better but often cost more.

In March, it'll be daylight outside till quite a bit later and probably not as cold as in Dec/Jan. So the price differential may be worth it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy