Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a resort

Poster: A snowHead
Oh no, another one of them questions.....
But this place is full of so much wisdom, it would be a waste to not pose this question.

Where should we go?.....YOU decide....(well, maybe)

23rd - 30th March (that time of the season where altitude needs to be considered)
6 adults, all intermediate to advanced
Prefer "larger" areas as we get about and ski all day
Like a challenge
Like a beer on the hill but not bothered about late nightlife
Not 3V (been there a lot recently) or Les Arcs (one of the group isn't keen).
Fly/Drive both options

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val d'Isere / Tignes is the obvious French option for your requirements Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you like France and enjoyed Paradiski and the 3V, then Tignes should be on your shortlist. If wanting to go somewhere else, maybe Cervinia or Saas Fee (might not be big enough for you).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Altitude, or snowmaking. And you’ve done France. So I’ll suggest the Dolomites, and I’m walking my talk, as I will be there then.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ischgl
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
harvey13 wrote:
Ischgl
- defo an option I think. Always been keen.

Old Fartbag wrote:
If you like France and enjoyed Paradiski and the 3V, then Tignes should be on your shortlist. If wanting to go somewhere else, maybe Cervinia or Saas Fee (might not be big enough for you).

denfinella wrote:
Val d'Isere / Tignes is the obvious French option for your requirements Smile

Tignes is high on my initial list.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
St Anton, Ischgl, Val D'Isere..... or Verbier (if you stay north facing and you can afford the Swiss beers wink ). PS I can't (or won't pay Swiss prices for average tasting beers anyway)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 17-10-23 15:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try a different country, experience a different vibe!

Verbier
St Anton area/Stuben/Lech/Zurs
Cervina/Zermatt
Saas Fee
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, Not a bit warm late March for Cervinia or Lech? I once skied in Cervinia early March in the 90's and it was slush-fest, maybe I chose a bad year but there's a lot of south facing slopes iirc. Zurs fine north facing slopes but Lech i'd also suggest a lot of south facing up around Oberlech for late March?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fridge03 Kappl,See and Galtur are also wonderful mountains and included on the Ischgl pass!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1. Verbier
2. St Anton
3. Jackson Hole
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Plagne fits the bill, but possibly not if one doesn't like Les Arcs. Avoriaz has plenty to ski too, although some of the lower parts of the wider area will be a little thin.

Dolomites mentioned already, certainly plenty of challenge there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't disagree withe the suggestions so far.
If you've got the budget Zermatt is great late season.
If you fancy Verbier but the budgets a bit tight some of the other resorts in the area offer good access to the same skiing on a lower budget like Nendaz and La Tzoumaz.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Solden/Obergurgl
snow report
@Whitegold, lol @Jackson at the end of March. You like skiing glue?
ski holidays
@Fridge03, all the suggestions in this thread aside from Jackson Hole. I would think the Dolomites to be a bit risky too.
ski holidays
Serfaus - Fiss - Ladis area is big and not too well known to YK skiers, thankfully.
It’s not cheap and few TO go there but their tourist offices are quite good for resources.
Fiss was our choice on a couple of trips, careful where your accommodation is as the lift stations are up the top of the village!

The resorts are quite spread across the mountains so you get a good sense of ‘ travelling’ when out for a day as opposed to doing the same slopes in one particular area.
snow conditions
oldsnowy wrote:
Serfaus - Fiss - Ladis area is big and not too well known to UK skiers, thankfully.
It’s not cheap and few TO go there but their tourist offices are quite good for resources.
Fiss was our choice on a couple of trips, careful where your accommodation is as the lift stations are up the top of the village!

The resorts are quite spread across the mountains so you get a good sense of ‘ travelling’ when out for a day as opposed to doing the same slopes in one particular area.
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
@Whitegold, lol @Jackson at the end of March. You like skiing glue?

I’ve only been in Feb (which was fab!). This doesn’t look too shabby?
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqJcoQKA_8x/
snow conditions
@Fridge03, Val d’Isere/Tignes is the obvious option based on your criteria
snow conditions
@BobinCH, I’ve been twice in January. Once was low tide and bitterly cold the other time was sublime with multiple powder days. The other time was the end of February and the fresh snow we got was sun affected within hours because of the generally southerly exposure.

My point was more that those going to Jackson Hole are generally doing so for the famed off piste terrain. I guess groomers would hold up better in late March but I don’t see the point in travelling that far for groomers…….even though the town and scenery have to be experienced at some point.

For the record I’m a wannabe skier and my skills can’t do that hill justice. But I have a go at what I can.
latest report
Jackson is super expensive these days. If I wanted to ski there, I wouldn't shy away just because it is late March, though yeah spring will be showing up, like everywhere. (If you go, try Grand Targhee for sure). The Dolomites are fine for the OPs timeframe, on piste. That's when I go, and I haven't had any issues on piste. Lots of sun and no crowds. But off piste? I wouldn't bank on the Dolomites for that any time of year. Snowmaking is their specialty; dumpage is not.
ski holidays
Thanks for ideas everyone.

Found a really good place in St Anton which has always been a place I’ve fancied going. But just a bit concerned about height and how much decent skiing the area will still then in a normalish year.
ski holidays
@Fridge03, no problems in St Anton only the lower southern facing Gampen slopes likely sun affected, and maybe back of Albona otherwise I’m sure it’ll be great.
ski holidays
@Fridge03, the afternoon lower slopes back to St Anton will potentially be cut up, mogully and soft if warm, but higher up usually fine and plenty of higher areas facing in all sorts of directions to get to quickly and easily. There will be loads of skiing, we've been to the area 8 times in April and never had an issue with snow quality or amount open!

Some pics from Easter skiing here https://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/
latest report
@Fridge03, Anywhere in France would be good! Toofy Grin
Don't bother with Austria and Italy, not much going on there! Skullie
snow conditions
I'd give Gressoney in Italy a go. Plenty of high altitude slopes, good snow across 3 valleys. Good for intermediate - Advanced. Not much nightlife but plenty of eateries spread across the mountains for good Italian food and beer/ wine.

Scenery is also stunning. 4000m glacial peaks as a backdrop.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Certainly got plenty enough to get my teeth into with looking for a place to go!
snow conditions
Sauze or sestriere would be my recommendation. Drink and food is cheap relative to France and great skiing with plenty to go at
snow conditions
I'd probably wait til closer to the time, see where snow is decent and grab a last minute deal. Did this for Andorra a few years back, which was early March. Highly recommend Grandvalira if you can time it right. St Anton is a great shout though.
latest report
Also Les Deux Alpes. Good apres, pretty cheap, great mountain with glacier. Pain in the ass for transfer though.
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Avoriaz has plenty to ski too, although some of the lower parts of the wider area will be a little thin.

Portes du Soleil is neck and neck the biggest ski area in the world.

I try to visit Avoriaz every end of season. I used to do the last week, until too many folk started to realise it was a bargain, and then it became more expensive than the penultimate week. So, end of March is a good time for Avoriaz. Not so good for Morzine or Les Gets.
latest report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Jackson is super expensive these days. If I wanted to ski there, I wouldn't shy away just because it is late March, though yeah spring will be showing up, like everywhere. (If you go, try Grand Targhee for sure). The Dolomites are fine for the OPs timeframe, on piste. That's when I go, and I haven't had any issues on piste. Lots of sun and no crowds. But off piste? I wouldn't bank on the Dolomites for that any time of year. Snowmaking is their specialty; dumpage is not.

It’s super expensive and you need to be in the top 10% of skiers to get any value. A very steep mountain. If the States is on the agenda I’d recommend Big Sky. Tricky to get too but there’s a lot for everyone there.
latest report
PDS is a good shout.
latest report
@Fifespud, not to be argumentative, but I found BS to be as spendy as JH, and it has a big hole: nothing for the accomplished skier who isn't into the gnarly stuff off the tram anymore (or if it isn't sufficiently covered, which isn't rare). The groomers are "light blue"...just not enough pitch. Wide as the LA freeway though. Some nice castles over on the Moonlight side, if you have a spare $15m! People need to duck under the radar and give Targhee a shot, I guarantee it is worth the same hassle as getting to JH/BS. I have hit all three in the same trip, works pretty good but wears out the credit card...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy