Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all! I’m trying to decide on which ski resort in Austria to go to for my honeymoon next January! Me and my fiancé are considered advanced skiers, we can handle most hills in the US. We want to go somewhere for a whole week and won’t get bored with some good off-piste trails. We don’t care so much about the apres scene and would prefer somewhere we can easily get to by train as I am hoping to not have to rent a car. We also would prefer somewhere that’s not too crazy busy. Any suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My usual suggestion at this time of he year is wait and see where the snow falls to be sure.
But I don't think this is very suitable for a honeymoon where securing a decent hotel room early is probably more relevant.

I would consider Lech, it is one of the snowiest places in Austria with extensive skiing available throughout the Arlberg area but quieter than St Anton with no need for a car.
It doesn't have a train station at the resort but taxi transfers from a nearby train are readily available.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your advice! We’ll be going in 2025 so should have plenty of time to secure a hotel room!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@atank005, I would suggest Lech too, especially for a honeymoon. Lovely place, lots of skiing, snow sure. Although there is not a train station in the village there are nearby, St Anton has direct connections to Zürich, Innsbruck & Vienna. The Arlberg is the largest ski area in Austria and is also well known for its off piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I recommend Lech too. Wonderful place, good skiing and quite "upmarket", so suitable for a honeymoon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@atank005, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

For your honeymoon ski trip to Austria I would also recommend Lech for the reasons already given by others. Here's a link to the Lech ski area website which also has links to accommodation. If you fly into Zurich airport then it has its own trainstation, the fastest service from there is the Railjet which stops at St.Anton. You can then get a taxi from St.Anton station to Lech. More information about the Railjet service here: https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/zurich-to-innsbruck-via-the-arlberg-railway.htm

I don't know if you are an Epic Season Pass holder, but if so then you can get 3 days consecutive skiing in Lech and the Arlberg area included in your Pass, provided you stay in participating accommodation. Obviously you can buy an additional lift pass for the remaining days, but at least you'll have saved some money.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@atank005, just to check, you know off piste in Europe means its not avalanche controlled so you should have some avalanche knowledge and equipment?

From what I know (having not been), the Arlberg region (Lech that lots have recommended) has lots of freeride trails. Essentially an off piste run but it's avalanche controlled within a certain distance of some pole markers. That's the closest you'll get to North American offpiste over here.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

would prefer somewhere we can easily get to by train as I am hoping to not have to rent a car.

Ignoring the fact that a train from the US may be difficult. There are other public transport options available from Europeen airports to the slopes. For example many snowheads uses busses (often referred to as shared transfers) or taxis (often referd to as private transfers.) as well as trains.

Following an established Snowheads traddition I will suggest you may like to look at another country than the one you are looking for. The Monterosa area of Italy flying into Milan and getting train and bus to Gressony has good offpiste (but you may need to hire a guide). Or evena fly to Venice and get the bus to Cortina d'Ampezzo - very beautiful but poor for off piste. Further west of Cortina areound Wolkenstein, for example, you are into the German speaking area of the Dolomites

Busy depends as much on dates, perhaps even more than place.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
swskier wrote:
@atank005, just to check, you know off piste in Europe means its not avalanche controlled so you should have some avalanche knowledge and equipment?

From what I know (having not been), the Arlberg region (Lech that lots have recommended) has lots of freeride trails. Essentially an off piste run but it's avalanche controlled within a certain distance of some pole markers. That's the closest you'll get to North American offpiste over here.

Though you can take a guide, we did on our honeymoon though that was in Switzerland rather than Lech, though we skied over to Austria for the day to Gargellen.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The nearest station to Lech is Langen. If the Zurich - Innsbruck train stops there it is less than 20 mins in a taxi to Lech.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lech was rightly recommended for Austria in January being romantic in its center, lovely pistes with good mileage and connections, decent apres in the afternoon and comfortable access from Zurich airport.
It is possible indeed to get there by train to St. Anton then taxi or bus, or by train to Langen then taxi but it all involves changing train at Zurich Bahnhof and (in my past travels) carrying luggage to a lower level platform.
Doable of course but the Arlberg Express bus leaves Zurich airport straight to Lech.
Much easier me thinks.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 12-10-23 9:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sfellows, the direct trains from Zürich don't generally stop at Langen only St Anton. One of the oddities of Austrian railways
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Take the train into Gastein valley.
Dorfgastein
Badhofgastein
Badgastein.
Loads of variety in skiing and accommodation
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For your honeymoon push the boat out and stay in Kitzbühel. Watch the dates though as the Strief is held in January (an attraction or a time to avoid depending on your view).
Superb skiing, huge area - especially if you get the area pass as you can use a shuttle bus to connect and ski into the SkiWelt as well. Pretty and luxurious town. Two train stations in the town, with excellent rail link to Munich.

If you're coming from the USA, then you'll want to fly to Munich or Zurich to train in. Salzburg or Innsbruck are closer - but you're better of flying direct to Munich or Zurich than trying to find connections.

Lech is mentioned by others - it's in the only major ski area in Austria I have not been to - so no comment.

Mayrhofen is also good for trains. It has excellent skiing with the advantage of day trips up the valley to the Hintertux Glacier. But the town is functional rather than pretty snd romantic.

Zell am See is pretty, and excellent train connection. Skiing in Zell itself is not as extensive, but it liftlinks to Saalbach - making a huge area (liftlink is currently one way, with a shuttlebus the other, but new lift planned for 24/25). A shuttlebus from Zell is the magnificent Kitzsteinhorn glacier (at Kaprun) which has lots of off piste routes.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 12-10-23 14:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From Zurich airport there is the Arlberg Express bus: https://arlbergexpress.com/en/services/zurich-airport-bus-transfer

It is a 3 hour bus to Lech and you don't have to schlep your luggage on and off the train, you just put it in the luggage hold on the bus. Sometimes the bus has a trailer for ski bags.
Once in Lech there are free town (blue) busses. The yellow busses are Post busses, not free, and are useful for Lech to St. Anton (instead of using the lift system) or to get from Lech to the train station.
latest report
Fly into Zurich. Train to the main station from the airport trainstation. The baggage trollys can go on the esclators (very scary for the first time). Then a direct train to st.anton am arlberg. Book first class, its not too much more. Then stay in the Himmelhof Hotel. Book a guide for you stay, can be done through the hotel.

The last three weeks in January are "low season" a slight reduction in prices, but it is definitely quieter.

You will then have an amazing Honneymoon.
snow report
drporat wrote:
Lech was rightly recommended for Austria in January being romantic in its center, lovely pistes with good mileage and connections, decent apres in the afternoon and comfortable access from Zurich airport.
It is possible indeed to get there by train to St. Anton then taxi or bus, or by train to Langen then taxi but it all involves changing train at Zurich Bahnhof and (in my past travels) carrying luggage to a lower level platform.
Doable of course but the Arlberg Express bus leaves Zurich airport straight to Lech.
Much easier me thinks.

Just a note on changing trains at Zurich Bahnhof (main station) from Zurich airport, I always choose a train that stops in the main concourse, sometimes it can be the adjacent platform to the Vienna OBB Railjet that takes you to St Anton or Langen.
It is a pain lugging stuff up from the lower concourse if the train from the airport arrive in there. Trains from Zurich airport into Zurich are very frequent maybe every 10 mins, some are shuttles, some are inter city, some regional.
The Vienna OBB Railjet, examples previously, dep times from Zurich are 1040hrs, 1240hrs, 1440hrs, 1640hrs. Under 3 hrs to St.Anton or Langen. That's direct, no changes after the main station. Those times have operated for some years now but checking current timetable would be necessary.
snow conditions
@davidthornton, cool advice!
I usually take both pairs and a duffel bag and drag them around. Next time will look for the Vienna Railjet
ski holidays
For Honeymoon I would recommend Kitzbuhel. Good train connection to other cities and other resorts as SkiWelt.
snow conditions
Kitzbuhel is for beginners and intermediates -- not advanced. You'll ski it out in a weekend.

Posh German folk go to Oberlech. Car-free, accessed only by tram, and you can look down on the poorer folk in Lech valley (St Anton). Great advanced riding.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, in Germany, near Munich, near the Austrian border, is another option. But gets busy with Munich locals. Skiing is for intermediates.

For the real honeymoon wow factor -- with wow skiing -- the only real choice in Europe is Switzerland.

St Moritz, to walk or ride the frozen lake and forest with billionaires.

Verbier, for the best steeps (by lift) on the planet.

Zermatt, for the big pointy Toblerone.

If romance is the priority, go to Zermatt.

If sliding is the priority, go to Verbier.
latest report
@atank005, as@swskier, has mentioned off piste is not avalanche controlled nor is it patrolled , you will need to check your with your insurance to see if you are covered , you should have a transceiver and other avalanche gear as you would in many North American resorts, using a guide is probably going to be a requirement from the insurance company.

I would also suggest Lech.
latest report
Honeymoon... going big then?

St Moritz - Suvretta. Off piste in Corvatz is pretty decent. This is only property in St Moritz that has anything close to ski in out. Lake and other good stuff are cool too.
Zermatt - Riffelalp. Quite literally no apres apart from its own 3 restaurants as it's at 2200m about 10 min train up from the main resort. Ridiculously good views of the Toblerone.

These are 5 star properties that are very good for the old honeymoon vibe. I would still go to either resort for the skiing and views as well.

Lech / Oberlech although I love the St Anton vibe personally.
Verbier.

Not surprisingly all the resorts recommended are Austrian or Swiss...
ski holidays
IMO Kitzbuhel has the better romantic feel over St. A, it's attractive old town, but you'd have to avoid the race weekend 20th/21st. Meaning you need to go early - mid Jan. St. A has without doubt the better skiing though.
St. Anton has to be by train from Zurich and staying at the Alte Post.
That is no problem budgetwise.
Alternative might be Klosters and staying at the romantic and historic Chesa Grischuna. Klosters has direct access to Davos ski area. Though Davos town quite unattractive.
latest report
It has to be Lech! Perfect for honeymoon. Small mountain village, stylish, but not too much. Excellent skiing on and off piste.
Kitzbühel, larger town, is also very charming, but not as good for snow.
snow report
One option to reduce the hassle factor of taking the train & worrying about having to make a fast connection while running around with luggage (possibly even skis?) in an unfamiliar station per the comments above: Both SBB (Swiss rail) and OBB (Austrian rail) have luggage services where you can send your luggage ahead of you, either direct to the hotel or to the final train station at a minimum.

It's not a bad idea to spend a day or 2 in Zurich or Munich or Innsbruck (wherever you fly into) first to get over jetlag - it tends to be worse flying east - and that builds in the luggage transfer time.
snow conditions
Boy, people do plan ahead… Well ahead! 2025!!! snowHead

Anyway, @AndreaC’s suggestion is good. That’s what I always do, spend a day to see a bit of the country.

Flights from the US tend to land at Zurich crack of dawn. Drop the skis off at the SBB window. It’ll be ready for collection at the resort the following morning. You’re now luggage free to enjoy making your way slowly to Lech or wherever.

I’ve been to Zurich more times than I can remember. So I don’t spend time there any more. Innsbruck is very pretty, and it’s on the same train line to St Anton. You can simply hop off the train and spend half a day strolling about the city, have lunch etc, before hopping back on the train to your final destination.

I’m not a wild apres kind of person. But Austria changed my view on that. It’s just very friendly relaxing kind of fun that infects everyone around. I remember it very fondly.
ski holidays
Lech for sure.
latest report
https://www.goldenerberg.at/en/

Always thought this would be a good honeymoon hotel (I I ever have another honeymoon Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What they said about off piste vs inbounds. If you expect to be hammering between trees, do your research carefully, to ensure you get what you want. Or price in a guide for those days.
snow report
Ghost Dog wrote:
https://www.goldenerberg.at/en/

Always thought this would be a good honeymoon hotel (I I ever have another honeymoon Toofy Grin )

Issue with all those hotels is that they won't confirm your booking that far in advance as they hold bookings for their regular guests. Regulars get first right of refusal until about June for regular dates and end of September for holidays.
ski holidays
Which is why I get to stay at the Laendenhof in Mayrhofen at New Year when it suits me Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy