Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maximum times thermoplastic boots can be reheated/molded?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A question for the resident boot fitters I guess, do the manufacturer's give a guideline as to how many times ski boots (the shells rather than the liners) can be heated and reheated or is it infinite? I ask as I have a pair of boots (Full Tilt) that I like and I've heated them a few times tweaking them here and there. I would like to know if there is a low limit to heating cycles as I wouldn't want them to self destruct on the piste! Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderjon, CEM...........anyone?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have no knowledge of such witchcraft. Drop a PM to CEM stating which model of boot as the plastic type will probably vary across their range.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@spyderjon, Done. Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@king key, it will depend a little on the specific plastic (type, grade, hardness etc) i don't know exaclty what Full tilt are using in terms of material grade right now.... and the temperature at which you heat the plastic, some plastics love heat some are not so keen, if for example you put the old salomon race boot in the oven, within a few weeks of skiing some athletes found the boot went very soft, in contrast, Dalbello actually heat their race boots to 80 degrees C to cure the plastic if they need a pair rapidly and can't wait the 6 weeks for the plastic to cure fully.

for boot modifications after an initial heat fitting then i would normally only spot heat a shell and use tools to adjust the fit, that said, if the shell is designed to be heat fitted in an oven they will give you a temperature range either 80 degrees or 110 degrees which are the two commonly available boot fitting oven temps, most boots will take 5-7 cycles at a very minimum.

one thing worth considering, unless someone has specific bony prominence's most of the time it is not the shell which is causing the problems, consider the liner, stock liners are made to a price and often the tolerances are not quite as accurate as we would like them, different operatives will stretch material at different amounts when they stitch them which can result in differences in feeling in fit, obviously this is minimized in production. so for "tweaking here and there" i would be thinking liner not shell
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for the reply. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy