Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Tania Question

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Folks just looking for some info on La Tania.
We are 4 guys in our 40 s and have narrowed down this years ski hols to either La Tania or Val Thorens.
The chalet that we are looking at does not have any hot tub or sauna and we were wandering is there any public swimming place in La Tania with a spa.
Also what is the apre like at the end of the days play.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swimming pool, Not as far as I am aware of.

In terms of apres, quieter than 1850 or meribel certainly. And if you are after 8 hours hopping from bar to bar followed by a club, not without jumping on a bus or in a taxi, but you can still have fun in the couple of places to eat and drink.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Theres a swimming pool underneath where esf meet. Unfortunately its covered in winter. Usually with snow Wink

I think hotel montana might have a small spa but not sure if its open to non guests.

Couple of bars in la Tania. Pub le ski lodge is probably most popular
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chick wrote:

We are 4 guys in our 40 s we were wandering is there any public swimming place in La Tania with a spa.

Not the question most forty something guys on a boys trip would be asking Laughing

Seriously though La Tania is a great little gateway resort for the 3 valleys,with some quiet après, one or two good bars. Not much else for the night owls but enough to amuse yourself in a group situation.

Enjoy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info.
One of our group dosent drink so he was looking for a diversion after the days skiing.
Maybe Val Thorens would be a better choice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The sports centre in Val Thorens is really quite good.. http://www.valthonet.com/activities/fitness/sports-centre-val-thorens
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a small pool with sauna and fitness area in the Hotel Montana which was open to the public when we stayed there January this year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stayed in La Tania last Feb dunno about spa facilities but the apres is ok. There are a few bars (2 from memory - 1 of which played live music both nights we went there) and a couple of hotels with nice bars at the bottom of the blue into the village - certainly enough to have a couple to wind down.

If you're after a party lifestyle then you're in the wrong place. Mind you I'm in my 40s too and my hangovers now last 3 days so if you're the same then partying may not be high on your list of priorities.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Bertie. No were not party animals just like a couple of beers at end of play.
Is there buses linked to meribel and if so how long does it take to get there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buses have only gone to Meribel in peak weeks. Xmas, NY, half term. Regular bus round the courchevel valley though. Look at latania.co.uk will tell you all you need to know and way more to help you decide. Really enjoyed la Tania last year but with 2 under 5s après was the hotel bar only. Wines and beers certainly flowed all evening but not quite standing room only at the Telemark.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are buses but we didn't use them so sorry can't help.

I would also say that the resort is good value. There's a cracking pizza place right at the bottom of the blue where you can get a good size pizza for about €15.

I would suggest avoiding buying drinks on the mountain (€8 for 250ml of water in Courchevel) but the bouc blanc at the top of the La Tania gondola is reasonably priced and from there it's a green or red down to the resort. Don't laugh at the idea of doing the green - it's a riot - a long steepish road where the walls are banked up so you can ride the berms round the corners.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To be honest, neither are brilliant nights out. But with four in a group you'll be fine at either.

Once walked into Pub le Ski Lodge for what I thought was the first time, barman looks up and says "Not you again!" Embarassed

I'd go to La Tania again
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I liked La Tania like everyone says not a large resort but friendly with a couple of decent bars. Pub le ski lodge seemed to have most of the music on and also serves decent meals at a reasonable price.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Love La Tania, and although the Apres is not 'buzzing' it is still good... Stayed there a couple of times and had and awesome night out in La Taiga (Tiger Bar). Often have live music, or used to, and despite in being tiny, really gets going in there...

Pub le ski lodge also has some good beery nights... Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Would like to echo the sentiments above about La Tania. Not a great amount of bars, but they should be enough for what you want by the sounds of what you've mentioned. Did hear about the Montana pool but never tried it.

We we're there in March and there were buses running to and from Meribel. I think I found a link for the timetables on latania.co.uk. IIRC the last bus from Meribel was about 7pm, we got that after some cheeky après in Jacks Razz A word of warning though, if you decide to use this, the bus wasn't very big, we were there in plenty of time to be near the front of the queue, but it was one hell of a bun fight getting on it with loads pushing in at boarding time! There were some disappointed people facing a taxi ride.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the info.
At this stage i think we will go for the best deal we get in either La Tania or Val Thorens allthough im leaning towards La Tania i think it might be a bit to quiet for some of the group.
snow conditions
La Tania is a great base for the 3v's if some of the group want to party a bit harder, 1850 is only a taxi/bus ride away and in terms of skiing it's well placed with 1650 and Meribel only a couple of lifts and slides away. Plus the added benefit if the weather closes in there runs down to LT are tree lined which is nice.
ski holidays
Going off the original post slightly, will be staying in La Tania next March, 1st time in resort and have booked O/H some lessons along with son on boarding lessons. At this moment the schools are un sure of the take up of the lessons, so may have to move it from La Tania to either Meribel or Courchevel. How long does it take from La Tania to get to a) Courchevel and b) Meribel?
Wifey and son are early intermediates, so assume we could ski/board to both resorts if the lessons are moved? Cheers
snow report
The problem you will have is timing, the la tania lifts don't open in time to get up and down, I think we discussed this previously and agreed it's possible to get down to le praz and then up into 1850.

Edit - the assumption being that lessons start @ 9:15am
snow report
In both cases (Courchevel and Meribel) I would say it would take about half an hour - two lifts to the top of the ridge above La Tania, from which you can ski down to either Courchevel or Meribel. However, as ansta1 says that relies on the lifts being open in time. If you've got afternoon lessons then no problems (but I would then favour lessons in Courchevel just in case the 3V links to the Meribel valley get closed due to bad weather - it is an easy free bus back to La Tania from the other Courchevel villages). For morning group lessons you'll struggle to get there in time even if the conditions are favourable, but getting the bus from La Tania to Courchevel is easy enough and so if you're happy doing that you'll be fine.
latest report
@Simon94, i would agree with @kieranm, Courchevel would be better to book the lessons at as you can get the free bus over there if you don't feel like the ski over from La Tania, the other half used to do this and somtimes catch it back if we had skied into La Tania leaving me to go explore!
I managed to be in 1850 from La Tania in around 40 minutes but it was quiet in April so no lift queue's, the bus was around a similar time as well as i used to beat the OH there.
latest report
I think though the first bus from La Tania towards Courchevel is 0910 each morning. That bus should be in 1850 by 0940.

The bubble out of La Tania can be busy first thing - quite a few people q up ready for the 9am opening.

I would go for PM lessons from Courchevel
snow report
Ask the ski school to meet you in la tania, then the lesson can start straight off the lift, they can then take you either way at the top.
ski holidays
Quote:

The problem you will have is timing, the la tania lifts don't open in time to get up and down, I think we discussed this previously and agreed it's possible to get down to le praz and then up into 1850.

Edit - the assumption being that lessons start @ 9:15am

The other problem with that route might be that the connecting run is a black (jockeys). Maybe not an ideal warm up Shocked
snow report
Do we think the classes will really not run at that time of year? I was there in April a few years back and it was pretty busy. Also if you book and they move the lesson won't the ski school provide transport for the 9:15 start?

I think Magic will run a lesson as long as there are 3 people and the ESF in Courchevel have been known to run for just 1 person.

I'd ask a few more questions of the ski school before making a decision this early
ski holidays
Our first set of lessons we got the bus to courchevel, we started the lesson a little later so we weren't getting a bus too early. This was as beginners, by the end of the week we just skied over but the instructor met us in la tania first.

Any decent school should be willing to meet in la tania then you can ski over, the lesson might not finish in la tania, but if they aren't willing to be flexible I would probably take my business elsewhere.
snow report
If you need to have lessons, why would you book to stay in a resort where you then have to go to another resort to get the lessons? Sounds like making life difficult and a right faff. Far better to have lessons that start on your doorstep. Maybe if you haven't been skiing before you wouldn't realise this.

For example, first time I got taken skiing we stayed in Encamp in Andorra and you had to get a coach for about 25 minutes to get to Soldeu. Then get issued with boots and skis and then get a chairlift to where you had lessons. Consequently due to a variety of reasons (hangovers, missed bus, not ready) some lessons were missed. And that's where the mistakes started, thinking i can teach myself, there can't be much to learn, etc, etc. Took me many years to realise how foolish that is.

Convenience is important, there are plenty of other things to be thinking about when your a beginner.
ski holidays
andy123, la tania is part of the 3 valleys, so hence the ski schools cover the whole area. The schools are stating its a quiet period, so may have to move lessons around the area to get the amount of people into the group lesson, And yes been skiing before! snowHead

Thanks for the feedback so far, the ski school for OH (snowlimits) has stated start at 11.30am which is convienient, so will be able to get to lessons wherever although have asked to start in La Tania.
Snowboard lessons have stated to start in La Tania, but again if not enough in the lesson they would move it to Courchevel, hence the reason for the question on how long it takes to get to the other resorts. The good thing with the snowboard school is they have now stated that they will pick him up and take him to Courchevel if not enough at La Tania. ....Cab9 are the snowboard school Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Simon94, sounds good that the lessons are coming together. Hope it all gets sorted. I have found most of the smaller schools to be pretty flexible on pick up and drop off points, particularly with smaller / private lessons.
latest report
@Simon94, thanks for the reply. I wasn't criticising your choice of resort, La Tania is nice, I just couldn't understand why a ski school would make you hike from one place to another.
snow conditions
@Simon94, good that that's worked out for you.

For reference, I've stayed in La Tania in the past and booked lessons which ended up being based out of Courchevel. But all the instructors lived down the hill in Bozel so each day they drove past La Tania and picked me up on their way. It's always worth asking.
ski holidays
I wasn't keen on the apres in La Tania last year. There's one bar that is so busy you can't move and another two that are dead. Shame really as its a fab location for the 3v.

Saalbach this year.
snow report
Janska wrote:
There is a small pool with sauna and fitness area in the Hotel Montana which was open to the public when we stayed there January this year.

Montana pool is tiny. We stayed at the Montana and didn't bother going down to the pool area (really wasn't worth the effort).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy