Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need some advice for USA trip

Poster: A snowHead
The kids want to go to America, only way we can see to fit it in now as they are 15 & 12 is to consider going next Xmas, perhaps around 16thDecember for 2 weeks. Is it feasible to combine a few days shopping/siteseeing with a ski resort ?
Anyone done similar or got any suggestions for locations, flights, accomodation etc ?
Don't really know where to start on this one Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
provenjohn, it's easy to combine a holiday in San Francisco with one or more of the Lake Tahoe resorts. It's about a 3hr drive between the two.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
provenjohn, killington or new england resorts plus new york or boston
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neilski, I take it you like ice?

provenjohn, the trouble with Tahoe around Xmas is that there is less change of a lot of snow! However, we do usually get a lot of really good spring skiing - have you thought about Easter time instead? We're usually open until the middle or end of May and our on mountain swimming pool opend mid March! San Fransisco is less than 200 miles away - that's close in US terms, and California does get lots of sun!

If it has to be Xmas I'd suggest Colorado - Denver is not too bad a city, and you are more likely to be snowsure.

I'm really trying hard not to be biased, because my instinct is to say come to ski at Squaw! snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pollittcl, Thanks, can't relly manage Easter, Is the Tahoe snow average not good at Xmas then?

laundryman, Have you done that ? Sound a possibility, presume you would drive between the 2 ?

Neilski, Snow didn't look too good this Xmas, how about previous years ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
provenjohn,

Killington
2005 - 2006 seasonal weekly averages

Nov December January February March April
Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Upper
slopes (cm) 60 60 68 86 79 75 75 82 70 75 75 72 82 90 82 75 75 75 75 75
Lower
slopes (cm) 20 30 42 57 52 50 50 57 43 50 50 47 54 60 55 50 50 50 50 50

this year has been poor right across the east coast but i have freinds with a place in stowe and last year they said things were great a couple of weeks before xmas
pollittcl is right it can be cold but managable and i think a trip to nyc is not to be missed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
provenjohn, Easter '05 we went to Breckenridge (very enjoyable but a bit high) for 10 days and then had 3/4 days in NY. A great success. NY is a brilliant place for adults and kids (if you didn't know).

We went with United Vacations (United Airlines' travel agent wing); they allow you to stay over at the US gateway on the way there or back or both for no extra cost except the accomodation, which is big of them. We flew in via Chicago but didn't stop over (pity, as I've since discovered that Chicago is pretty good spot), and out via NY. UV offer a fly/drive package with accomodation tacked on if you want. Their price for the flights, skiing accomodation and Colorado car hire was very good, but we found better NY hotel prices ourselves. You should be fine at Xmas in Colorado; I daresay UV offer accomodation on the east side as well.

Their brochure gave incorrect prices for our trip, but once we'd got over that, they were OK. Worth a look.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are planning a similar trip in two seasons time meeting up with Aussie friends. DOn't think we will be restricted to christmas though. We will do california , two center, somewhere like Heavenly/Mammouth followed by disney stuff in LA

Lucy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
provenjohn, gryphea reminds me that we did a trip about 8 years ago involving a week in Mammoth and a drive back to LA via Yosemite, Monterey and various other agreeable places in California. Another great trip. That was late, end of April IIRC, and you couldn't sensibly do the same trip earlier in the season, I don't think, but you could do something like it. The fly/drive and ski accomodation was with Virgin and the rest of the accomodation we arranged ourselves. SF would be a better than LA if you wanted to spend time in a city, in my opinion, FWIW.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
provenjohn wrote:
laundryman, Have you done that ? Sound a possibility, presume you would drive between the 2 ?

Yes. I've done it three times. Hiring a car is the way to go. Squaw Valley happens to be where I've done most skiing. You can either stay at such a resort (ski-in/out) or in a nearby town like Tahoe City (can take in a few resorts plus better choice of après activities).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neilski, Thanks.

richmond, Thanks, I will have a look at that

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, Is it feasible to drive between Squaw valley & San Francisco at that time of year ? Did you do your own accom & flights?
any recommendations? Thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
provenjohn, yes, just hire chains (I haven't personally got remotely near to using them) and check on weather conditions beforehand. All but the last 20 miles or so is freeway, and only the last 50 miles (if that) in total is likely to be affected by snow.

I've always arranged skiing trips (accom, hire, instruction) while already in the US and more or less at the last minute - I've always combined it with business or other pleasure in the States. I can't see that a UK tour op would add much value to the kind of trip that you're planning.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote= Denver is not too bad a city snowHead[/quote]

Denver is about as interesting as Milton Keynes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spindrift, the thing I remember about Denver is that it seemed to have more banks than the Square Mile.
ski holidays
provenjohn, Lots of options open to you. We have done several 2 week trips combining touring/site seeing and ski-ing. LA, San Francisco or Las Vegas are all feasible bases. You could fly to one and return from another. Get a rough guide book and check out what there is to see and do. We have usually travelled early spring and most places have been quiet other than at weekends or US national holidays.We were last at Squaw in 2002 and conditions were great but if i recall either that season or the year before it had poured down over the Christmas holidays. Sad . Lake Tahoe is a beautiful area and there several hills to choose from. Always carried chains but have never had to use them. Have also rented 4x4s, not much difference in price compared to larger car. Sounds like you're tied in to the kids holidays so i would echo the suggestion that Colorado may be more snowsure. Good luck Very Happy
ski holidays
Well, latest thoughts are: Dec 16th:
either Las Vegas for 4 days & then drive to Heavenly for 10 days
or
Los Angeles for 7 days then drive to Mammoth for 7 days
Possibly use Virgin
Any comments, good or bad Puzzled
snow conditions
provenjohn, San Francisco is so much nicer than Las Vegas or Los Angeles (depending on what you're into of course)!

There are ski resorts closer to LA, e.g. Mt Baldy and Big Bear (may not be snow-sure at that time though).
latest report
provenjohn, from what I've seen of LA I wouldn't to spend 7 days there. As laundryman, says, SF is a better bet, or diriving around california for a week would be great.
ski holidays
richmond, Is LA that bad ? Kid's fancy MGM & Disney Sad Honest opinions welcomed though
latest report
provenjohn, if they're into theme parks, Great America in silicon valley (easy reach of SF) is good. If you do go to LA, the best theme park for rides (as opposed to Mickey Mouse and the rest) is Knott's Berry Farm: more-or-less next door to Disney in Anaheim. My view of LA generally is pretty much the same as richmond. I do have family nearby though!
ski holidays
provenjohn, I've only spent a few days in LA, on business trips, and we flew in and out on the trip I mentioned earlier. If you want to go to Disney and MGM, it's the place to be, I imagine, but it seems to have little else to offer. So far as I could see, LA has no centre; it's an enormous sprawl of neighbourhoods, some pleasant, others not, with nothing much worth seeing.

You could probably fly into SF, ski and fly out of LA (or vice versa). The drive from LA to Mammoth is an easy day, and a very pleasant drive; SF is about the same, I think.
snow report
Personal opinion:
LA is a hellhole. There are famous sights surrounded by a post-apocolyptic landscape of crime, filth and searing heat. If you wall yourself inside those sights, and if they are sights you are interested in, then I guess it's lovely. But that's not how I like to spend my holidays.

Las Vegas, despite it's attempt to appeal to the family market, really does not offer much for kids. Your kids will spend the day by the hotel pool and the evening in expensive shows. Obviously, the whole place is contrived (that's the point), but while adults can take that with a big grain of salt and have a good time, I think it is more difficult for children, as they are legally barred from doing the two things Vegas excels at: drinking and gambling.

My advice:
You want to go skiing? Go where they snow is most likely to be best (Colorado). You want to go shopping? Go where the shopping is best and there are plenty of other things to do. If you can arrange a stopover on your flight, this is easy. New York is great. Chicago is also cool (and an airline hub). Toronto might be possible. Basically, I'm trying to think of airline hubs in nice cities where a stopover would be easy to do. Atlanta is another option.

That would be my approach.

San Francisco and Seattle are certainly not a bad options, either, and both with direct BA flights. And if you end up having to drive and not going with a flight stopover, both are within a reasonable drive decent skiing (as already discussed with regards to San Francisco, although Seattle, or hey, how about Vancouver, would be less driving).
latest report
provenjohn, following ami in berlin's post, FWIW, if you want to combine a city with skiing, I'd go for Colorado and NY, especially if you or the kids haven't been to NY. If you want to combine seeing a bit of unsnowy US countryside with skiing, you could go to pretty much any US ski resort, I imagine; I can vouch for the fact that California is a great place to do it.

I fancy Montana myself - some skiing then a bit of pretending to be cowboy; can you rent battered pick ups, does anyone know?
snow conditions
ami in berlin wrote:
LA is a hellhole.

Absolutely agree.
Vegas? Two days were enough for me!
San Francisco is much nicer. Lots to see, tram rides (hanging off the side for the kids), rent bikes and ride across the Golden Gate bridge, see Alcatraz, shops and shows etc.
latest report
 bloxy
bloxy
Usually do two two week trips to ski in the US a year, gave up on France 9 years ago, better snow, better service, better value, almost speak the same language. No fighting in the lift queues just orderly fast moving lines. Going back to France for a week this year will be a bit of a shock!

Skiing in the West is probably the way to go unless you like small hills and ice, most easterners in the US dream of skiing out west. They seem to think it is like going round the world twice to fly from the east to the west of the USA!

Colorado is OK but the terrain is more rolling hills at a high altitude than big mountains. Snow can be great but more variable around Christmas time. Short runs. Been to Breckenridge twice but I've been to better since.

Tahoe is great, one of my favorites and we've been there for Christmas for the last 5-6 years. Very good snow record for early season (though not so good this year but still miles better than some of the years I had in Europe). Spectacular scenery with the mountains and the lake. You have a choice of easily reachable resorts from a single base. You can, as has been suggested combine it with time in San Fransisco, it is about a 4 hour drive from SF to South Lake Tahoe. Hire a 4x4 SUV DO NOT consider chains and a 2 wheel drive, you will spend 30% of your time taking them on and off as if it snows there are mandatory chain controls. If you want more info on the skiing I can tell you more. Non stop flight from Heathrow to SF

Jackson Hole Wyoming is spectacular, big mountains, the wild west with board walks and saloons, Yellowstone, Teton national park, snowshoeing, snowmobile into Yellowstone to see the buffalo and the geysers, fantastic skiing and usually good early snow. Long two stage flight to get there is the disadvantage.

Salt Lake city makes a great base to combine a city holiday with skiing some of the best snow possible, it's only a short drive to ski Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Park City or the Canyons. Skied non stop powder for two weeks last March, simply the best skiing ever in 24 years! Early snow record is good. Long flight with at least one change to get there.

Canada is an option, Whistler and Vancouver ( a really nice city and I don't like cities, go watch the ice hockey) would be a good easy combination. Direct flight to Vancouver. Amazing scenery on the sea to sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler. Whistler is a really good base for some superb skiing but it can rain at resort level whilst it is snowing up on the mountain. Car free village.

Hope that has given you some ideas, let me know if you want more info.
ski holidays
bloxy, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
bloxy, Thanks for that info, am looking into it. Yes, wlecome to Snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bloxy, Great info,am planning a trip to North America for next year myself , was originally looking at Whistler in feb, now looking at Smugglers cove at xmas! just can't seem get a consensus with the wife on where and when ie,east coast/west coast,xmas or feb half term.

I see you favour Lake Tahoe for xmas any idea what Vermonts record for xmas is like....looks like i'll be changing my mind again,or maybe not Puzzled
snow report
I'm more confused than when I started Puzzled
Just wanted to get the long promised kids trip to America/Disney etc out of the way & combine it with some
nice skiing at Xmas, was going to do the LA bit for non ski but after peoples views are not so sure now.
Don't think there are any other resorts where we could get the theme park bit & still combine a ski resort ?????
ski holidays
provenjohn, Great America theme park is handy for San Francisco and hence Lake Tahoe. It's good - I've been there!
snow report
laundryman, Thanks. looked at that but they don't open until March Sad
snow report
oops!!! Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
If the kids are set on Disneyland, then by all means go to Disneyland. I still hate LA, but if that's the purpose of the trip, then do it. As far as rides are concerned, there are better amusement parks. And as far as cities go, there are few places worse in my opinion. But Disneyland is Disneyland, and if that's what the kids have their heart set on, Six Flags, Great America or whatever simply won't be the same. I personally would not drive out of LA to any ski destination. You can get cheap flights from there to Reno (Tahoe), Salt Lake and Denver for sure (although at Christmastime, maybe not).

I know it's confusing, but hey. You have several priorities here, so it's a matter of balancing them. Also keep in mind that two weeks is not THAT long, and you don't want to spend all of it in transit.
ski holidays
ami in berlin, Thanks for your input. When you say you would nor drive out of LA, do you mean because of distance ?
On another matter, Bet Berlin has changed a bit, my wife & I were there in November 89 as the wall came down, remember the crowds flocking through from Eastern sector whilst bemused border guards looked on Shocked
ski holidays
provenjohn, Learn to speak 'Disney', that way if your feet hurt you'll be able to communicate with the Bootfitters.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Do you stock these Toofy Grin
latest report
provenjohn, Laughing We're a bit behind the US of D, will look into it for next winter. Laughing
snow conditions
If thinking of Tahoe I would def recommend flying into San Francisco, both Virgin and BA fly direct from Heathrow (Virgin having by far the better entertainment system on the plane, you can choose what you want to watch plus pause it, stop it,rewind it etc, play games, listen to music, or track your progress across the pond). Definately set aside at least a few days in San Francisco, I have to go back for a holiday as I simply never got the chance for various reasons to spend the time I would have liked in SF.

If driving on the San Fran freeways isn't your cup of tea there's two alternatives to get to Tahoe, the first is more costly but slightly more weather proof. Fly from San Francisco to Reno in Nevada from where the South Tahoe Express shuttle runs almost every hour from Reno to South Lake Tahoe dropping off at the major hotels and casino resorts in SLT. Having done the fly to reno and the car option, my preffered way of getting to SLT is with Amtrak, taking the Train from San Fran to Sacramento, from where Amtrak lay on a dedicated coach to South Lake Tahoe that climbs over the increasingly scenic Highway 50, best of all it costs about $28 return, plus the double decker trains give you great views as you head up the coast. The Train option does require traverseing San Francisco using the Bart Metro system, but it's a lot more suited to hauling large amounts of luggage than the Tube to Heathrow, and I managed the train method with a seasons worth of gear!!

Hiring a car in South Lake Tahoe would give you more options and greater flexibility, but it's possible to ski Heavenly, Kirkwood, Squaw, Sierra at Tahoe and Mt Rose using the shuttle bus services the resorts provide (some are free, some are paid for and need to be booked in advance to ensure spaces). If Heavenly is your main focus, stay close to the Gondola base at the Heavenly Village right on the Stateline and you can easily walk to the Gondola in your ski gear from your room.

Even if you don't ski at Heavenly you simply have to take a ride up the Heavenly Gondola for the views of Lake Tahoe and if anything the ride back down is even more amazing. Also you can't go to Tahoe and not ski Kirkwood, it's a must do, and if you can fit in a meal at the Kirkwood Inn! snowHead

As for snow reliability, Kirkwood aims to open mid to late November in time for Thanksgiving and usually manages, this season though it was a very slow start, but there was skiing on offer over Christmas. However 2 seasons ago Kirkwood was fully open from late October and over Newyear period was on the receiving end of 22feet of snow in 10days. As the highest base area in Tahoe and with 806inches of snow in 2005 and 850inches of snow in 2006 Kirkwood is about as snow sure as your going to get - but there's always a degree of risk at Christmas.
snow report
Winterhighland, Thanks, lot's to look at there snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy