Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bregenzerwald: Warth, Diedamskopf, Mellau, Faschina & Balderschwang: Snow Report - 10-17 Jan 201

Poster: A snowHead
Sat 10 Jan (pm) - 18C(!!) on landing at Memmingen, Bavaria. Very green valleys on the drive to Bregenzerwald. Called at Alberschwende and Bezau - both closed due to lack of snow. Great pm skiing soft snow at Mellau. A few bare bits but a great area, linked to Damuls. Not possible to ski back down to the valley - downloaded by gondola.

Sun 11 Jan - Awoke to heavy snow in the valley at our digs in Bezau Very Happy. Skied at Diedamskopf - fog, more snow, wind, only 2 or 3 runs open...but some great powder turns.

Mon 12 Jan - Great day at Warth. Snow 90% excellent but a few windblown/scoured bits. Very windy (again...) but slopes very quiet with some sun and some powder in places.

To be continued... Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 18-01-15 9:22; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interested to here more about Warth. Will be in Lech in less than a week! Might venture over that way one day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will report further @Toadman - plan is to ski at Warth again later in the week (possibly tomorrow) and extend our passes to cover Lech and Zurs. Got as far as the new gondola link yesterday but it's not covered on our week's Bregenzerwald 3 Valleys pass. The upgrade costs €20 a day.

Have only skied at Lech/Zurs once, on a day trip, so looking forward to that. First time we've been to Warth - some great cruising runs on excellent snow and the village is very picturesque. Definitely 'Warth' a look from Lech/Zurs I'd say!

After a mild couple of days, snow is forecast at all levels on Fri and Sat Very Happy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mountainaddict,
Always liked the look of Damuls. Hope to make it there one day.
Same about Diedamskopf although it seems tiny.

Are Warth runs long enough? I always thought they very short but maybe a wrong impression.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict I remember last time in Lech about 4 years ago, and riding the chairs near Oberlech, and drooling over some of the terrain over in the Warth area. Can't wait to hit the slopes come Sunday. The forecasts are looking very promising! But not going to get too amped up just yet!

You definitely need to hit the slopes over in Lech/Zurs at least one day. So much terrain to explore.

Keep the updates coming!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Toadman You need to get amped up about your Vorarlberg trip....Read on.

Tue 13 Jan - Bluebird weather and perfect snow above mid station level at Diedamskopf. What a fantastic area. Yes it is relatively small - 40km of piste, though no valley runs at present - but a brilliant area for a day or two. Deserted runs, no lift queues and we even managed a few powder turns - it seems to be the sort of place that stays untracked after a storm. The scenery is simply stunning too.

Wed 14 Jan - 2C and raining at resort level as we boarded the gondola at Mellau. Weather dried up as we started skiing - on a couple of inches of fresh and deserted runs, so all good. Mid morning, after skiing over to Damuls, it began to dump....and dump....and dump Very Happy.

Despite poor visibility we had an incredible powder day - up to about a foot deep in places. The lift link back to Mellau closed without warning due to stormy winds, so we had to bus back to Bezau. No matter after a fantastic day of powder, powder, powder!

It snowed down to about 700m but is raining heavily now at that level (2C) - so will be still dumping higher up Smile.

Planning on Warth again tomorrow - if we can get up the road. Got snow tyres on the hire car so hopefully ok wink.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tom W: In the main, the vertical at Warth is relatively small- typically around 400-500m, though it is a bit more in some places. However, we loved the area - the runs are fairly varied and the scenery is brilliant. Lovely village too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mountainaddict Yep, starting to get amped. T-minus 2 days until lift off! Sounds like an awesome day, storm skiing in the Voralberg! It does appear that things are starting to shape up very nicely for next week.

Did you eat lunch in Warth? Just curious as to dining options over that way.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Toadman: As far as lunch goes, we generally take a picnic and eat on the hoof - which is what we did at Warth as it was a lovely sunny day.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Toadman, you'll like Warth, best snow depth record in Europe, staying there last week February before heading round for a week in St Anton. Lift served off piste awesome, some excellent slack skiing. Great mountain huts as well as lunch stops in Warth, try Walserstube if you drop down to town, opposite Steffisalp gondola station, traditional Austrian food, clean and reasonable prices. Warth is a gem, just like skiing 20 years ago, chilled atmosphere, no queues and this coupled with a modern lift system linked to lech, its a fab place.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29, Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! I'm back at Warth/Lechtalerhof at Easter, I don't want the crowds to turn up!! Madeye-Smiley

Warth is a gem, not big, but great OP from uplifts. Now it links into Lech, the terrain in between is opened up. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skimastaaah, Yep wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
@Toadman, you'll like Warth, best snow depth record in Europe, staying there last week February before heading round for a week in St Anton. Lift served off piste awesome, some excellent slack skiing. Great mountain huts as well as lunch stops in Warth, try Walserstube if you drop down to town, opposite Steffisalp gondola station, traditional Austrian food, clean and reasonable prices. Warth is a gem, just like skiing 20 years ago, chilled atmosphere, no queues and this coupled with a modern lift system linked to lech, its a fab place.

Markymark29 It sounds, and looks enticing. Especially that part about the lift served off-piste. That's what I kept thinking when I was looking at it from the Oberlech area. I could go for some nostalgia this coming week. My first time in Austria was 1989, in one of those now being discovered locales in Sud Tirol. The forecast has me all giddy like a kid again! Wish we could stay longer. One week is just not enough time...Skis go into the bag tonight! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Toadman, enjoy yourselves, I'm arriving 30th, presumably you guys will have gone by then though, have fun, you'll love it!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow update - Thu 15 Jan 2015: Superb conditions at Warth today - piste excellent (packed powder + the very odd scraped/windblown bit) + the occasional off piste powder foray.

Another brilliant day Very Happy.
ski holidays
Last report:

Fri 16 Jan 2015 - Pt 1: Diedamskopf - Wind ferocious - lifts gradually went off one by one until only the gondila was running. Very mild (2C at 2000m) with nice spring snow conditions on sunny slopes.

Fri 16 Jan 2015 - Pt 2: Faschina - Drove 20 mins to ski the last hour at Faschina. Jesus!! Shocked Stuck for 25 mins in a hurricane force cross wind on the main access chair. It looked as though the empty chairs in front would blow off the cable - all rather alarming. Great skiing after that though - packed powder on shady runs.

Sat 17 Jan - Balderschwang, Bavaria was covered on our 3 Valleys lift ticket, so we went there. The skiing is all in trees from 1000 - 1500m. A great little area with one fast quad and some nice slopes. It snowed heavily all day and we had a total powderfest - knee deep in places Very Happy!

A great end to a fantastic 8 days' skiing.

Snow all the way to Memmingen airport (road conditions quite poor in places) temp was -0.5C at 600m, so conditions looking good for anyone arriving soon.

Will post some pics under Trip Reports when I get home Smile.
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, or anyone? Random question but wonder if you know and can advise?

We are staying in Warth end February for a week and then going round to St Anton for second week so will be buying a 14 day Arlberg Ski Pass. When we are in Warth we want to drive and ski in Damuls for the day, do you know if we can we use the Arlberg pass for the day, or pay a slight upgrade fee, or do we have to buy a day one for Damuls and waste our day on Arlberg pass? Could always go on first day on way up I suppose but it'd be preferred to stopping off on middle Saturday on way across via Bregenzerwald/ Bludenz in car, we wanted to do Sonnenkopf on middle Saturday (which is included on Arlberg pass).

Any advice re Damuls?............including any must-do runs, both on and off piste! Very Happy
snow report
Just saw your query Markymark29. Picked up a St Anton/ Vorarlberg piste map while we were in Warth - just had a look at it.

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, there's no mention of extending a Vorarlberg pass to cover Bregenzerwald (ie the arrangement that applies in reverse in Bregenzerwald). Maybe you could e mail a tourist office somewhere in Bregenzerwald to find out? We passed offices in Egg and Bezau, so they could be worth a try.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy