Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how do you know if your boots fit properly??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sounds a stupid question.... but every time I go away (i've had boots for about 10 trips now) - as the holiday progresses I start to wonder if my boots are too big... or is it just that I am a bad skiier??
I get the sensation that if I really put my weight forward - my foot moves ever so slightly in the boot and I almost lose it....
Is it me or me boots?! The buckles round my foot are always on the tightest setting and the only sense of security I can get on a steep slope is to do the ankle/calf buckles up so tight I am in agony.
How can I check my boots??? I think they were 23.5 (with autofit linings) - coz that was the smallest edge to edge did.... I am a three and a half to 4 in shoes.
thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jayne,
I was in the same situation as you, size 3-4 but knew that my boots were well passed sell by date!
I went to Lockwood Outdoor last week (see thread further down), and spent over 2 hours being fitted, with lots of advice and patience. Just need to get to MK to try them out now. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jayne - I know just what you're going through, as I spent several trips skiing in boots much too big for me. It was only this year that I got a new pair, properly fitted (in resort) and, boy, it hasn't half made a difference to my skiing.

I picked up the following advice (mainly from other snowheads), which might be helpful: Take the inner out of your boot, and put your foot into the shell. With your big toe just touching the front of the shell how much space is there between your heel and the back of the shell? Anything more than a couple of centimetres or so means they're too big. If you're having difficult measuring down there, try fixing a clean slab of blue tack up against the back of the shell, and then measuring where your heel imprint finishes.

If you are having to do all your buckles to the max, I would guess that they are definitely too big.

Check out DG Orf's excellent web site at http://uk.geocities.com/david.orf@btinternet.com/Ski_Boot_Fitting.html
(sorry, don't know how to do hyperlinks)

There have also been a couple of useful threads on this forum - try
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=376

Good luck!
snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jayne, lots of info on this topic on various threads, so I'm probably covering old ground but here goes. I've always understood that ski boots vary according to foot type, so that Swiss and Austrian boots are made to a North European foot shape ( short and wide) whilst French and Italian boots are made for a Mediterranean foot shape (longer and narrower). Personally I've always found this to be the case, for me Lange, Raichle and Dynafit have always fitted me better than Salomon. When I try new boots and I try not to buy too often as I feel it takes about 5 years to get a pair of boots in shape (based on skiing 3 - 4 weeks a year) I follow theses guides. Remove the inner liner and stand with toes touching the front of the boots, you should be able to get two fingers between your heel and the boot. If you want to race you can go for one finger and a tight fit but more than two fingers say 3/4" - 1" the boots are too big. You really need to get the voluem of your fett measured not just length. With the inners replaced your toes should just touch the front of the boots when standing straight. With the boots clipped you should flex forward from the ankles, pushing your knees over the front of the boots. Your toes should then slide back. The boots should fit snugly overall, no obvious tight spots. You should be able to wiggle your toes and to lift your heel about 1/4 "- 1/2". Hope this helps but your best bet is to find a good boot fiitter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take the liner out of the boot. Put your foot in the boot with the toes just touching the front. Stick your fingers behind your heel and see how many you can fit side-by-side. if you can fit more than 2 fingers there then the boots are definitely too big. 2 fingers are marginal. Less than 2 is ok. 1 is a tight fit. Less than one and you probably need to be a racer who is fond of feet that hurt.

Generally speaking this is the only way to check boot length fit. A boot that's too big may feel as if it fits when worn in the shop with the liner in because the foam in the liner compresses to fit the void comfortably. However, if the shell is too big the boot will no longer fit when the foam liners pack down after a few days skiing. It sounds to me as if this is happening to you.

If you don't ski an enormous amount you could resolve this temporarily by getting new liners (probably about £50-80). The boots will then fit until the liners pack down again - you know how long that takes. Eventually I would guess you are going to need new boots though. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David - snap! Well, more or less. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jayne durham, the best way to check boot fit.... at the start of your next trip, make an appointment with one of the acknowledged expert bootfitters - quite a few around the bigger Alpine resorts. If you're in the likes of 3 Valleys, Val d'Isère, Tignes etc, the names/contacts have been mentioned in previous threads (can't find them right now).

An hour or two while your feet are measured from every possible angle, and you are cross-examined on your skiing ability/expectations, and you will know precisely which brand/size of boot is best suited to you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow - these hyperlinks work all by themselves! Jayne, you might also want to look at this thread:

http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=11449&highlight=#11449

Now, how do you get the url to be replaced by some user-friendly text?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like This

put an =theURL inside the opening URL tag (Note, no quotes around the URL). The tags can be seen above the input box when doing a reply or post not a Quick reply (though if you know that tag format, you can type them in in the quick reply).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wow - thank you all..... I've never taken the inners out - always scared I wont get them back but I'll be brave.....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jayne, if you can't get them back in then you can always use this to justify to yourself the purchase of new, proper-fitting boots! Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
errr am I doing this right? have taken inners out - can fit whole hand behind heel....
tried the blu tack idea - measures 6cm
mmmmmmmm can they really be that much too big? do the custom fit inner things compensate at all?? If they are really that big
a) how come I am still alive...... Had a feeling my foot felt as if it was threatening to come out down silene bumps in Feb
b) - does this mean I am really a better skier that my husband - if only I had boots that fitted?????
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Custom fit liners would not compensate that amount of space. Anyway, the seriuosly flash ones are normally thinner than normal liners.

To answer your questions:
a) No idea
b) Almost certainly Wink

Who sold you those boots in the first place?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I recently acquired a pair of boots from a friend who had only skiied in them a couple of days, as I think they were probably too advanced for her, adn they hurt. They should be perfect for me, size 23.5, Rossignol, therefore fine for my slim narrow feet. I had them re-moulded when I arrived, but my feet were in agony, so had to borrow some boots. Mainly my toes felt really cramped, did the shell check before I took the off them and that was fine. When I take out sole though and put my foot on it , it appears to be a little bit short.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy