Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing your skis

Poster: A snowHead
Bit of a newby question here.

I have been skiing now 5 times and up till now have always hired my skis at the resort.This year however
I have bought a pair of Atomic 9.18 Beta Carv skis,second hand but still in good nick !

I also bought a new pair of poles and a single ski bag.

Question is as per title.What is the best way to pack the skis and poles.I presume that the ski brakes are
secured in the up position but do you put them together or side by side.Do you put something at either end to "take up the slack".

Do you wrap the skis up in bubble wrap or something ?

Any advice gratefully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bernie, Welcome to snowHead 's Very good question!
As for me, I just clip 'em together an put them in the car. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I clip them together, then just put them in the ski bag with the poles. Make sure that the tails go right to the bottom of the bag. I also put my ski jacket and trousers in there to give some protection.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the welcome Very Happy

These skis will no doubt receive the usual aeroplane baggage handlers touch,ie throw the bugg**s on,so I am keen to make sure
they arrive at the other end undamaged.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bernie, I pack my ski trousers round mine, and some of my ski socks to make sure that the space in the bag is taken up. On the return, all my grubby stuff gets to go round my skis to protect them Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bernie, Welcome to snowHeads.

Leave the bindings open so the the brake levers protrude below the base & lock the skis together by their brake levers (as you would if you were carrying then over your shoulder). Ski ties can be used around the tips & ties but are not essential.

I wrap mine in bubblewrap but some people wrap them in there skiing jacket/pants etc - which also tranfers some of the weight out of you
main case/holdall which is often useful. Plenty of padding at the ends of your skibag will against end impacts.

I put my poles in two pieces of the grey foam insulation that you get from B&Q/Wicks for 18mm diameter water pipes. It's pre-slit along it's length so a pole will slip straight in for a perfect fit. Just cut it to length & then tape a short piece over the tip setion.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a cheap foam kipmat - it is very easy to wrap that round your skis and tie them inside your skibag making them almost luggage handler proof. I do stick something between the skis in the middle to stop the edges banging if they are dropped. Plenty of room left for clothes to provide additional packing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
foam kip mat good idea.

do you lock the bag or leave it open for customs to check if they need to ??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Royal, you need to leave the bag open, or they may/will just break the lock.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.sportube.com/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I pack ski clothes/socks etc. with mine,but to be honest skis take enough of a beating on the slopes and I reckon they'd be fine with the odd careless baggage handler.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
conor, I guess my old teacher now takes extra precautions, after snapping a pair of Rossi slalom skis in 2003 rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, there are master-keyed TSA locks now such as the ones from tamperseal.com
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, yeah, I've seen those before. And I've seen them busted open with cutters.

One year I left the ket in the lock. They stil cut the lock, and threw it in the bag. With the key still in it!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hyweljenkins,

Ditto, only mine was the old KIS (Keep it Safe) type. Got my wife one too off ebay, cost around £30.

bernie, There's one going today if you're quick:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KIS-SKI-TUBE-HARD-CARRY-CASE_W0QQitemZ8734497326QQcategoryZ90877QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I use a soft case in the car, but I woudn't trust baggage handlers with one.
snow report
I use those cheap plastic cable ties (remember to take spares for the return journey). Only downside is the bowie knife I carry in my pocket to open them Confused
latest report
or i could use evidence seals Wink
snow report
AxsMan, looks more like a snipers bag !
snow report
Royal,

Shocked Shocked never thought of that, probably better not lock it going through customs! Very Happy

The wheels make it nice and easy to carry though!
snow report
I used to have a KIS tube, unil my skis got too big for it.

Now I have a wheeled double bag. When I first got the second pair of skis, I bought a cheap double bag, which I now put my skis in, the put that bag inside the double padded bag. That way my skis have extra protection, and when I wrap clothes round the inner bag, my clothes don't get shredded on my edges.
ski holidays
theres some really good advice on this thread thanks, as we have just bought our first skis and sticks and I was wondering about transporting them.
Great idea of the pipe lagging snowHead

slightly off topic but in the same vain. When we travel we tend to use backpacks rather than suitcases.
these we drop into orange survival backs and tie the tops
means if the bags are left out in the rain they keep waterproof also you spot them at the airport really easily.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, that was my concern when I bought mine, having seen a friend struggle with his. The new tubes are larger to accommodate carving skies and pocket elephants.
latest report
bernie, When you come back... make sure the skis are as dry as possible before you pack them. This will help preventing the edges rusting.... so (if possible) leave them overnight before bagging them......Also some bright tape on the strap will help you identify them at baggage reclaim.
latest report
I put ski socks around the tips and the tails (does make my skis smell bad on the return though) and wrap my Sally's around the bindings
snow report
As per Frosty, I also cover the tips and tails with a sock each, then a modified pillow case (hole cut in end) slide's down to cover the bindings.Therefore no sharp edges exposed. Ski's strapped top and bottom with small piece of foam in between. Poles get threaded through the arms of a lightweight jacket and then tied to ski's. Usually then place a boot (walking type) at each end of the ski bag to protect ski's. Rest of the space is filled with clothing, usually hats/gloves/towel etc.
snow report
Thanks for all the replies.It would seem there is no hard and fast rule but one thing that does worry me
is the thought of putting my skiing clothes in the same bag.What if it gets lost ?At least if the skis are lost you can hire a pair,but having to buy some clothes at the resort is a bit much.

I think I will go down the foam padding route or maybe bubble wrap and a polystyren block at each end of the skis.

Slightly off topic,the Atomic Beta Carv 9.18's that I have bought have a two position slotted adjuster on the front binding that has a yellow dot in a little window.Twisting this the other way changes said dot to green.Anybody know the purpose of this ?
snow report
I wrap the skis in bubble wrap and tie it over the ends. I then pack out the rest of the bag with underwear, being careful to leave at least a pair of ski socks, thermals and mid-layers in my main bag. I wear my jacket. Job done. I've found that they often don't weigh the skis (Swiss, BA) so stuffing as much in as possible in with the skis works well
snow report
bernie,
Quote:

Slightly off topic,the Atomic Beta Carv 9.18's that I have bought have a two position slotted adjuster on the front binding that has a yellow dot in a little window.Twisting this the other way changes said dot to green.Anybody know the purpose of this ?

Well… here is what looks like the relevant section, copied from the Atomic instructions on their web site but I would ask a ski shop to check it out

5.5. Adjusting Backward Release
To reduce the danger of knee injuries ATOMIC developed the adjustable
backward release feature. This system enables you to adjust the backward
release individually at your own risk (FIX/ACTIVE for the 1018, 614,
and 412 models, HARD/SOFT for the 310 models) without affecting the
adjustments. The adjustment is carried out by turning the screw (51) to
the left or right. You can read the adjustment through the window (52). It
is generally recommended that the higher the Z number setting and/or
the greater the skills of the skier, the FIX adjustment should be used for
Race bindings. The FIX position is red, the ACTIVE and HARD psotion is
yellow and the SOFT position is green. The ratio between the vertical
and horicontal release values are for FIX 1:12, for ACTIVE and HARD 1:8