Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cortina d'Ampezzo to the Dolomiti Superski/Sella Ronda

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to figure out how to get from staying in Cortina to ski into the rest of the Dolomiti Superski area, and the Sella Ronda, if anyone has any up-to-date info please?

I've read that there is (or soon will be??) a new gondola to link Tofane and Cinque Torri, so does this mean you can (or will soon be able to) ski from Cortina onto the Sella Ronda, and obviously back again?

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Short answer: no.

Medium answer: From Cortina to the Sella Ronda, there'll only be a small gap at Armentarola, which you could walk or take a bus / taxi. On the way back, you will still need a bus from Armentarola back to Cinque Torri / Lagazuoi.

The new gondola means you will be able to ski Cortina - Cinque Torri - Lagazuoi - hidden valley run towards the Sella Ronda. From here you are a short walk / bus / taxi from Armentarola, where there is a lift into the Alta Badia area, which is directly linked to the Sella Ronda. The way back is the same, except there is no ski lift back to the top of the hidden valley run, hence the extra bus / taxi required.

Cortina still won't really be a practical base for skiing the Sella Ronda - better to explore its own, local ski areas (including Cinque Torri / Lagazuoi), perhaps with a day trip across to Alta Badia.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah ok, great, thank you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowsteve wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to get from staying in Cortina to ski into the rest of the Dolomiti Superski area, and the Sella Ronda, if anyone has any up-to-date info please?

I've read that there is (or soon will be??) a new gondola to link Tofane and Cinque Torri, so does this mean you can (or will soon be able to) ski from Cortina onto the Sella Ronda, and obviously back again?

Thanks!

Evidently the proposed lift has been talked about for years, there was talk of it being done for the 2021 world cup but that didn't happen so now the talk is for the 2026 Olympics.

We did the opposite a couple of times in Feb 2020. At the moment if you want to do the SR from Cortina it's pretty much drive or get a taxi to Corvara (ca 45 mins), there is/was a bus but it doesn't run very often and when I looked the timings weren't great. The issue is the timings of the SR can be difficult to judge due to queues, weather etc.

As definella says you can get to Alta Badia via bus/ski/lift but it's a bit time consuming.

If you're competent skiers I'd think it would be feasible to get a taxi to Lagazuoi for when it opens, ski hidden valley first thing, get horse drag (or taxi from the bottom), then ski from Armentarola to Corvara, then ski SR but if you do that I'd bank on getting a taxi back at the end of the day, either from Corvara or Armentarola. If you did the later then there would likely be taxis hanging around. Probably wouldn't be a relaxing day though and you can ski the hidden valley/cinque Torri quite easily from Cortina so depends if you're looking for an adventure or not Happy

One thought if you go with TO they might do a day trip to somewhere on SR.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richb67 wrote:

One thought if you go with TO they might do a day trip to somewhere on SR.

If you are travelling independently it is also possible to find out which TO's organise trips on which days (notice board in hotel) and do a cash deal with the Rep to get on the coach
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Even once the connecting lift is completed, it would be too much to do in a day.

Best way to do the Sella Ronda would be to catch the bus from Cortina to Corvara and back at the end of the day, that would give you time to explore some less trafficked side-shoots like Edelweiss Valley above Colfosco, Seceda above Sta Cristina or the main Alta Badia area above Corvara.

Cortina Express run a service. Only Summer timetable up at the moment which has an 8am departure and 3.50pm return. Takes about an hour.

https://www.cortinaexpress.it/en/timetable/

Pretty sure you can buy the tickets in advance.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unless you are dead set on staying in Cortina , I would switch it round.

Stay on the SR (Corvara as an e.g.) and explore that most of the week but do one day in Cortina (stick to Tofane side)

- you sound like a competent bunch and you can do all of this in one decent day...it is not a big area...but stunning landscape.

A few years ago we stayed in Selva with Crystal - they organised an excursion to ski Cortina and hidden valley.

Set off about 08:00 from Selva on a coach - dropped us off at Socrepes and we had 4-5 hrs skiing there and did most of it with a stop for lunch.

Then coach dropped us to Laguzoi cable car on way back so we could ski hidden valley - and picked us up about an hour later at Armentarola for the journey home.

I skied back down to Laguzoi CC first (a great red run) and still had time to ski hidden valley with a quick coffee at Scotoni hut (admittedly zero queues)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sheffskibod wrote:
Unless you are dead set on staying in Cortina , I would switch it round.

Stay on the SR (Corvara as an e.g.) and explore that most of the week but do one day in Cortina (stick to Tofane side)

- you sound like a competent bunch and you can do all of this in one decent day...it is not a big area...but stunning landscape.

A few years ago we stayed in Selva with Crystal - they organised an excursion to ski Cortina and hidden valley.

Set off about 08:00 from Selva on a coach - dropped us off at Socrepes and we had 4-5 hrs skiing there and did most of it with a stop for lunch.

Then coach dropped us to Laguzoi cable car on way back so we could ski hidden valley - and picked us up about an hour later at Armentarola for the journey home.

I skied back down to Laguzoi CC first (a great red run) and still had time to ski hidden valley with a quick coffee at Scotoni hut (admittedly zero queues)

Not a bad idea, but I had assumed the trip was already booked to Cortina.

Hidden Valley first or last thing is also a good dea to beat queues for the cablecar.

The Faloria and Cristallo side of Cortina are both very worthwhile too. Cristallo is usually very quiet too compared to the Tofana side. Cinque Torri/Col Gallina & Misurina are both quiet areas that are worth a visit too, esp if you have a car.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is there a regular bus service from Armentarola to Cortina (specifically, Pocol)?

I have wondered if it would be possible to get an early start and Ski from Arabba, over to Armentarola (can be done in less than an hour),and get a bus, hopefully, arriving in Polcol no later than 10.15 - 10.30.

The timetable link by @luigi, shows a coach leaving Armentarola at 10.15, arriving Pocol at 10.51. Return at 14.27, which would be a possibility if it still runs in the winter season.

Another option would be to try to get a taxi.

Plan would be to get about 4 hours skiing in Cortina, then get a bus or taxi back up to Armentarola, ski the hidden valley, and back to Arabba. (easily done in 2 hours).

Would this timetable allow time to visit the other side of the valley?

It would be a long day out, with a very short lunch break (if any).

Would this be possible?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is a bus service in the valley -- I shall see if I can find the site again

====== edit ===

https://www.suedtirolmobil.info/fileadmin/pdf/2021/465_20201213.pdf

You can see in the link there is a Bus route from Falzarego Pass (hidden valley lift station) to Corvara, but where it has been before that I don't know....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking at that timetable, it looks like the bus goes as far as Falzarego, then turns round and goes back to Corvara about 5 minutes later.

Pound to a penny, the one from Cortina does exactly the same, but the two timetables unlikely to coincide. Not a problem getting back to the pass to return via the hidden valley, but could be a delay on the outward journey.

Tried the website, but it couldn't find anything. Looks like they only operate on in the one area.

Looks like a taxi. Shouldn't be too expensive. I think it was about 5 Euros each to Falzarego. Would expect about double to go the same distance again.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is a bus from Cortina up to Falzarego via Cinque Torri and plenty of taxis ply the route too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@luigi, Yes, so getting back up in the afternoon won't be a problem. It's finding a way to get down into Cortina in the morning that is the awkward part. How to differentiate between the taxis from each valley? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What goes up must come down, no? wink

Buses and taxis will be coming up from Cortina in the morning and going back pretty empty.

It is further down into Cortina than up from Armentarola though. I seem to remember being charged €6 or €8 in a shared VW minibus taxi from Bai de Dones (Cinque Torri bottom station) up to Falzarego a couple of years ago.

You can ski down to Bai de Dones from Falzarego, it's a bit slow & flat in places though. You can then catch the bus to the nearest point on the Tofana lift system at Son dei Prade, near the top of the Olympia chair
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From what Im reading, the new gondola link between Tofane and Cinque Torri should be ready for December. But unlikely the new slope to the middle station will be built this season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy