Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving on News Years Day - finding petrol

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, sorry if this is a stupid question... but

I was wondering if petrol stations will be open on New Years day in France? We are planning to drive from the UK to the Grand Massif on the 1st, just wondering if there might be a problem with finding petrol?

I know it probably a case of some might - some might not, but it is the ones on the main motorways that I am most interested in, does any one have any experience?

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BenAS, all the motorway service areas should be open. They'll take your money at the toll gates, too! wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BenAS, UK credit cards work fine at automatic supermarket pumps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great, thanks - I thought that would be the case, but I just wanted to check!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, That is not true. Many of the local supermarkets automated pumps only accept the local debit cards.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DallyPaul, Which supermarkets are those ? I'm fairly sure I have used all the supermarkets in Cluses over the last few years.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get those jerry cans filled beloved of Francis Maude, can't trust that froggy fuel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had problems with UK credit cards some years ago (had to get a local to use his card in exchange for crisp notes, a couple of times). But had no problems in the last few years, with chip and pin.

BenAS, if your vehicle uses diesel and will be parked in the open, worth filling up very locally, as the diesel will then be OK to lower temperatures.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The car is petrol, it really just making sure we can find petrol on the way down. Once we're there we can find fuel the following day!

So I am guessing that we "should" be OK but might be wroth starting to look before we get too low!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BenAS, If you look on net open fuel stations will be listed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Once we're there we can find fuel the following day!

Depending where you're staying, that might not be a good idea. In some places, you'll be a bit of a drive (possibly on very snowy roads) from a petrol station. And you'll want to ski!

Definitely keep the tank topped up, when temperatures are low.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're going for 3 months, so there will be no need to rush out the first day ( although I expect we'll want to!) I know where there are a few local stations are - only a few miles from our apartment down a major road - so should be fine.

To be fair two tanks should give us plenty of wiggle room! So one just before we leave the UK and then another half way down, we're going to les Carroz so I think two tanks will do it!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ben, motorway service station in both France and Uk have to be open 24/7/52 and selling a hot meal and fuel at all times.

Whether the food is any good and them having petrol is another question.

As for getting out and filling up on your 1st day, use the Carrefour on the back road to Samoens on the way to the telecabine car park (M&M will tell you where it is Wink )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy