Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski carriage with Swiss ?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find charges/limitations to taking skis when flying Swiss ? A quick look around their website left me somewhat confused, a quick forum search didn't turn up anything recent, though I'm sure there'll be something somewhere.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I booked with Swiss earlier in the year, their std prices don't even include a hold bag!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KenX, yeah, noticed that. It looks as though their 'flex' fare includes 23 kg of hold luggage but there are limitations on the overall dimensions that seem to rule out skis
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I rang them when I'd spotted my error, very easy to upgrade (for £60...........)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KenX, was that just for a hold bag or for ski carriage?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Both
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KenX, good value. Had you noticed anywhere in the booking process that allowed you book in skis? because it wasn't obvious when I had a look earlier
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it's anything like last year (and I haven't heard otherwise) then ski carriage is free with a standard ticket on Swiss. There is also a hand luggage-only fare for LHR-GVA which doesn't include ski carriage. If you've paid for hold luggage, you have ski carriage included too. That means suitcase + ski bag + boot bag.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Maireadoconnor, hoping its still the case but thinking I'll have to ring them to be sure
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maireadoconnor wrote:
If it's anything like last year (and I haven't heard otherwise) then ski carriage is free with a standard ticket on Swiss. There is also a hand luggage-only fare for LHR-GVA which doesn't include ski carriage. If you've paid for hold luggage, you have ski carriage included too. That means suitcase + ski bag + boot bag.

Think this fare structure was introduced last year. Flew it last year with added hold luggage and skis and boots are indeed free - and not required to be booked in advance.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.swiss.com/unitedkingdom/EN/swiss-the-skiers-airline

Still free.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maireadoconnor wrote:

That is my understanding as well with regard to the standard fare.

However skis and hold luggage must not weigh more than a total of 23kg. I have a soft holdall for my hold luggage which usually weighs in around 13 kgs so with my skis I am comfortably within the 23kg limit. I normally take my boots in my backpack as hand luggage, mainly because I don't want them mislaid, although if I did put them in my main bag I might just about be within the limit.

Last year they did actually weigh my skis so be careful if you are thinking of packing extras inside your ski bag.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

hand luggage-only fare

My understanding is that this is available on any route where they have to compete more-or-less directly with Easyjet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not sure they could be any clearer:

"Being the skiers' airline of choice we are happy to transport your first set of skis/snowboard and boots free of charge in addition to your standard free baggage allowance. Your standard free baggage allowance per person is 1 piece of max. 23kg in Economy Class". (this doesn't include the cheap Geneva flights, but does cover Zurich where we're going).

Unless I've massively misunderstood I'm pretty sure that means you can take your skis as well as a 23kg bag (which I think is different to last year, when the 23kg included your skis).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy from embsay wrote:
... (which I think is different to last year, when the 23kg included your skis).
No, last year they offered ski carriage in addition to 23kg hold luggage. That's the reason I fly Swiss on the LHR-GVA route. Previously used to fly BA, maybe 10 flights a season, but they dropped the free ski carriage so I switched to Swiss. Long may they continue to friendly towards skiers and boarders.
snow report
rob@rar, If you can increase that a bit you can perhaps get yourself to silver miles and more status which adds an additional 23kgs bag - so one bag on the "light" fare and two bags on a normal one. The mileage requirement is fairly high but you only need 15 return flights (iirc).
ski holidays
Swiss is a Skier friendly airline. Very Happy

If your skiing in Switzerlabd you can also book your gear all
the way to the resort. They take care of plane,train .
snow report
Thanks all. Gave them a ring & it seems that , with the exception of the " light'' fare, you are allowed your 23kg hold baggage as well as skis. I asked if they needed notifying in advance of ski carriage and the reply was no.
All in all good news, I think I'll be giving them some custom.
snow report
We are using Swiss for the first time for the EoSB next year. If it goes well I would think we would use them for all future flights where possible.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy