Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swedish skier dies in French Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Bit sketchy, but basic info on yet another skiing head injury resulting in a fatality.... (Briançon)

EXPATICA ARTICLE
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, Oh dear, very sad. And unlucky. We all lose control every now and then, but usually just crash spectacularly in the snow and everyone has a good laugh. If you crash into rocks, or trees, or buildings it is likely to be not funny at all, but serious. My sympathies to her family.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Extremely sad. Would a helmet have helped in someway?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Who knows? Not enough details at the moment. If it was really "above the town of Briançon" and not Serre Chevalier, the run down into the town (1300m) itself can be really awkward at this time of year, and cover on the thin side...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, just caught this one. I heard about it whilst there last week. Heard no more details than that reported, but I can tell you that the more Southerly nature of the runs down towards Briancon left me cold - did one run down to mid station and retreated back over Prorel rapidly. That was only to mid station as well, I'm not sure that it was possible to ski all the way down to resort level.

Many of the runs were a combination of ice straight into slush that was very patchy in places.

Very tragic.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like I'll be avoiding those slopes MArk. I like the ones from top of prorel,down to Les Eduits. Always really quiet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, Mark Hunter, Under Prorel - can't remember the name of the piste - we've done few races over the years, quite late on in the season. Gettting back down to the bottom (queues for eggs were just too big) with kids' spare race skis over each shoulder, through slush and rocks, sure tests my very average technique to the limit.

Stayed in a British-run hotel right near the Prorel bottom station... nice bar, atmosphere, big tv screen, rooms very 'rustic'.... Don't suppose you know the name? I've been trying to remember for someone who was looking for cheapish lodgings in town....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Auberge de Prorel? Look on Hannibal site, it might be there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen, Les Eduits was OK for the most part. At least it was last Thursday! Fangeas and Echaillon were also not too busy and in great nick as was the Draye in the afternoon - a cracking run!

PG, Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Briancon, other than Le Peche Gourmande - a splendid restaurant and featured as one of France's top 100 - alledgedly! If you PM Chris, he lives in Chantemerle and may well know which one you mean.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was just going to suggest you PM Chris too-beat me to it Mark.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mark, Helen you can always ski to the bottom at this time of year, the snow cover last year was about 40 yards short of the bridge over the main road. The snow is very heavy late in the the afternoon from the mid station down, your thigh muscles will certainly know you have been skiing. The bonus is it is usually devoid of other skiers unlike the melee on the Luc Alphand.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pistemeister, isn't that half the fun of the Luc? Wink Last week the best time to ski it was before 11.00 Exclamation

The Remparts down to mid station is one of my personal favourites, and I think it's the Vauban down into Briancon. I've not skied the full way down - another good reason to return Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

pistemeister, isn't that half the fun of the Luc?

Mark I suppose it is, but the chances of taking out another skier are too great late in the afternoon.
If you like the Remparts you should ski the rest of the run first thing in the morning, and again its usually pretty empty.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pistemeister wrote:
Quote:

pistemeister, isn't that half the fun of the Luc?

Mark I suppose it is, but the chances of taking out another skier are too great late in the afternoon.
If you like the Remparts you should ski the rest of the run first thing in the morning, and again its usually pretty empty.

I couldn't argue with that. I'll openly admit that after some hard skiing on a few days I was quite happy to sit it out and take the Bletonet chair back down - it was almost carnage on a daily basis. I can also never quite understand why some people who have to revert to practically snowplough turns feel the need to ski what can be a tricky run at the best of times.

Thanks for the recommendation BTW - will check it out next season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Will check them out from Wednesday onwards!!!
snow report
Just checked webcam, looks like it's going to snow!!!
snow report
PG, I think the hotel could be The Roast Beef at the bottom of the Prorel bubble. Helen, lots of fresh snow last night and all runs are open. Mark, we went to les2Alps today and it was covered in fog and with heavy fresh snow during the night it was all offpiste ski=ing and I ended up feeling like I had sea=sickness. Very strange.
snow report
I've felt like that in white-outs chris - weird is it not? Could be a thesis in there somewhere? Shocked
snow conditions
chris, Duh; how could I possibly have forgotten with a name like that?! Yes, that's the one.

Just back from Meribel, they could have done with some snow there but it had rained up to well above Mottaret Saturday, slightly colder this morning fortunately.
latest report
chris, Annie also suffers similar symptoms.

How's Serre Che holding up at the moment? We met up this weekend with some people we had previously met in La Rosiere and we've talked ourselves into looking at another week snowHead SC is high on the list of probables......
snow conditions
We seem to have drifted away from the original topic somewhat..I have just been looking at some old photos of the runs on the Prorel and I cannot reallly imagine any of the runs to be all that rocky, if the article is accurate and she did indeed "slam into rocks", There are plenty of trees to run into but not that many rocks.
snow report
pistemeister, I was wondering about that too, but I just can't remember the run back well enough - concentrating too hard on staying upright while carrying bags and two pairs of skis, and avoiding beginners careering all over the place in the slush. But at this time of year you can always find a rock somewhere if you try hard enough.
snow conditions
PG, pistemeister, there is a red (I think it's Gargouille) that drops down to the left of Remparts where there are usually quite a few prominent rocks. Further up towards Prorel itself, Clausas and Chauvet had a good deal of exposed rocks flanking the pistes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy