Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Let's get Telemark into the Winter Olympics!

Poster: A snowHead
For all those people who'd like to see Telemark racing in the Winter Olympics, a petition has recently been launched on change.org here. Please sign if you'd like to see the original way of downhill skiing in the Olympics! Madeye-Smiley

For those people who don't know what Telemark racing looks like, there's some video from a recent FIS World Cup event (following the Telemark historical introduction bit)Rjukan dual sprint

I believe that Telemark is due to be a demonstration event at the 2018 Winter Olympics, but I'd really like to see it properly accepted at the Olympics in its own right.

The organiser of the petition, Jasmine Taylor, won a bronze medal for Great Britain in the 2012 Telemark Junior World Championships, see this thread. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alastair Pink, Do you Tele?... if so then I am going to grab some kit for some cheeky tips when I see you!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flangesax, Well I try to (not that I claim to be much good)! Toofy Grin (see my SHs signature line wink )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jasmine's an ex-Suffolk Viking dry slope racer and still seen occasionally at the Suffolk plastic slope. From dry slope to World Champs, just shows it can be done. Go Vikings!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink, great story, almost makes me want to try my free heels on Ipswich plastic - Shocked not!!! Respect to Vikings Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a tele race at Hemel on Aug 31st....

http://gbtelemark.co.uk/?cat=7
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dear all, the FIS Telemark rep (Andrew "Nobby" Clarke) is making a case for Telemark at the Olympics this week!! Fingers crossed. In the meantime anyone looking to race in the British Indoor Series can follow this link:
http://gbtelemark.co.uk/events/british-indoor-telemark-series-2014/

The next one is at Tamworth with racing on the Sunday and a "festival" on the Saturday. It's a very welcoming environment, and DEFINITELY for all standards eg duffers like me, it's also a great way to get to know the wider UK Telemark community....... Very Happy
Tony

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 6-06-14 12:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is it still popular? Serious question.

When I first started skiing in N America in '98/99 they were everywhere.

Each season since, I see less and less.

Less than a dozen telemarkers where I ski on Hokkaido.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow, seem increasingly popular in Chamonix and Champoluc. I suspect highly correlated to scandi population...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TelemarkTony, don't know if you're aware but several of your web pages just come up "Hacked by Anonboy"

e.g. http://gbtelemark.co.uk/category/welcome-note/breaking-news/
or http://gbtelemark.co.uk/news/

Free the heel by all means, but lock down the website...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow, It's coming back, quite a few at copper this year inc. some bloody good ones. A Basin is a bit of a mecca for us with a big festival at the end of the season.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers.

Racing, backcountry or both under a new name and Masque?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways, thanks for the warning!! Not getting any problems here; I double checked on a separate mobile device and all perfectly fine!! It's not "my" website so, like you, I'm accessing as a normal punter.....could be worth a quick scan of your HD Puzzled

Mike Pow, under a new name, I telemark within the Army and numbers at our events increase every year. The increasing appeal amongst other skiers probably stems from improvements in eqpt (NTN) and the age old attraction of anything "high art" Little Angel
Tony
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, racing is certainly helping us to attract interest within the Forces. As a backcountry activity the attraction of the telemark style through powder continues to draw many. As for touring, I may be wrong, but can't believe that Telemark comes close to modern AT equipment and has therefore lost its place as the choice of ski for touring?!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TelemarkTony, Have run the debugger - looks like the sites had a SQL injection attack or similar - there's a Java script that it tries to launch, and if it fails then you get the regular page. If the script runs then it redirects to the hack page. I'll alert their site admin.
ski holidays
TelemarkTony, G3 will have Tele adapt kits for next season and the lightweight NTN are fine for everything but the height, distance and weight obsessed.

Got to say that Tele in powder is as close as any skis will get to boarding in the stuff . . . Though much tougher on the legs. Crying or Very sad
latest report
Mike Pow, Several telemark racers train in Les Houches.
snow report
Mike Pow, don't know about the racing but plenty of back country and quite a few frontside. Even met a fellow Tele-boarder Shocked
snow report
I saw quite a few youngsters telemarking on very fat skis in Switzerland the Christmas before last.
snow report
Whispers emerging from the FIS congress regarding Telemark into the Winter Olympics are sounding positive!! The UK would be very well placed to compete, particularly in the ladies events.
snow conditions
Confirmed from FIS congress in Barcelona - Telemark will be included in a combined package of proposals to be made to the International Olympic Committee to be included in the IOC's Agenda 2020. Telemark could be an Olympic discipline by 2022........seems ages away but I suppose it's only one more turn of the handle! snowHead too
ski holidays
TelemarkTony, Great news. Looking forward to Jasmin Taylor (and maybe a few more Brits) competing in the 2022 Olympics. Very Happy
latest report
I'm a bit confused. The little youtube video shows a bit of "extra" after the dual slalom. But seems to me can all be done on fixed heel skis too.

So do they make some rules what kind of equipment can be used for the race?
latest report
abc, you're required to use the tele style in a race. Not sure which video you saw but at speed, and from the front, it might have appeared like an alpine skier crouching....they're not, they're kneeling/bending/lungeing for want of better terms, they just do it extremely smoothly and at full pelt.

There are penalties for not adopting the tele style (approx 3 secs per gate), similarly there is a jump that must be landed in tele style or more penalties.

It's not really possible to adopt the tele style without appropriate bindings ("free heel) and you'll need "bellowed" boots ie bend at the toe.

It will be interesting how the sport develops now, not least as a race time is not confirmed until gate judges add the penalties. You can imagine how TV audience "unfriendly" this could be?! Similarly skiers might begin to exploit any and every loophole to gain an advantage when there's an Olympic medal at stake!!! Puzzled
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, Great news for Jaz! Should be an OK timeline for her, and a great reason to stick at it for the next 8 years.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy