Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites - Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone

Could I please have some advice on a good ski resort in Italy?

For the last 2 years I have gone to La Tania in 3V and it was excellent. All the apartments were on the ski run, so you could ski in and out. The lift linked to all of the other resorts in Three Valleys.

Is there anywhere similar in Dolomites? Somewhere that links to Sella Ronda (lifts not buses) and is ski in ski out suitable?

Thanks in advance everybody Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arabba in the first week in feb is popular on here Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm going on the Xmas week.
I know it costs more etc but I have a family of teachers and it's the only time we can all go
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arraba is popular all the time Happy. Plenty of snowheads will be along shortly to tell tales of Arabba im sure Happy. In the meantime, you will find a wealth of knowledge here from the last trip http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99578
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've done Arabba at Christmas. It was quiet but lovely (Santa turned up in the square on Christmas eve), skiing was very good. I'm not sure there is a huge amount of ski in ski out, but there are lots close to the slopes. We stayed next door to here: http://www.skisolutions.com/accommodations/karin and it was about a minute walk to the slopes.

Sporthotel is supposed to be very nice and is opposite this chalet.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Awesome. I'll check it out!
Thanks Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
deanstamford, You didn't say if you were looking to go with a Tour Operator or independently, but if you do want to DIY to Arabba it's quite easy getting there. Best to get a flight into Venice Marco Polo airport and then there is a subsidised coach transfer to Arabba organised by Dolomitistars.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mountainsun have a chalet Albergo Frohsinn at San Cassiano that is ski-in-ski-out. You can get to the Sella Ronda, and also to Hidden Valley and Cinque Torri.

http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am having real trouble with flights from the north of England.
Looks like I either have to go from East Midlands arriving at Venice for 10pm or fly from London Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
deanstamford, Have you looked at Monarch flights from Manchester to Venice?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Selva is stunningly beautiful and has skiing for all levels. I've stayed at the Granvara Relais, which was excellent, but there are a number of other good hotels http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g194912-Selva_di_Val_Gardena_Val_Gardena_South_Tyrol_Province_Trentino_Alto_Adige-Hotels.html

The only other place in the Sella Ronda I know is Cortina, which you should at all costs (all buses, or a lot of Shanks's Pony).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cortina is not really in the Sella Ronda (but is in the Dolomites, and possible to get between the 2 by bus/taxi, in a normal year).

Pretty much anywhere in Arabba, Corvara, Colfosco, San Cassiano, Selva, can be ski-in/out or a short amble to/from the piste. Canazei, Campitello need an uplift to get up the mountain, and a downlift at the end of the day.

Reminds me - need to check the status of the lift coming back from Malga Ciapella to Arabba, and the 2 way one between Corvara+Colfosco.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's a fair point Andy, yes. When we were there a while back you had to get a bus to somewhere nearby, name of which I forget, to join the SR. But then you had to get a bus everywhere, so in my mind it all blurred in together. Anyway for the OP, the key point is avoid Cortina!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Necessary bus could be Alba? somewhere else in Val di Fassa? or somewhere between Kronplatz and Alta Badia / Corvara? oh or somewhere along the road between Alpe di Siusi and Ortisei/Selva? oh or some where along the valley near Marmolada? (bus may be essential there if they don't rebuild that lift)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
deanstamford, there are a couple of routes to Innsbruck from Manchester and Liverpool (Monarch and Easyjet respectively), but I think they are both on Sundays so you would need to secure corresponding accommodation dates. Innsbruck is the closest airport to some of the Dolomiti villages.

andy, what's the deal with the Colfosco lift? Has something happened down there?
snow report
Quote:

Innsbruck is the closest airport to some of the Dolomiti villages.

and it's a much shorter drive to somewhere like Selva than driving from Venice Marco Polo.
snow report
Scarlet, Corvara-Colfosco 2-way lift was due to be replaced with a 6 or 8 person gondola, and afaict, they rearrange the bottom of the piste from Arabba and move the start/end point slightly. But just like last year, I heard that a landslide took out a chunk of the mountain.

The Malga Ciapella lift coming back to join Sella Ronda, was taken out by an avalanche. Not so critical for the Sella Ronda itself, but rules out one satellite village, and rules out a popular excursion.

Will take a look tonight on alpinforum etc. to see if I can find the current status.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Corvara-Colfosco 2-way lift was due to be replaced with a 6 or 8 person gondola

Will that make it the World's lowest gondola ride? If it follows roughly the path of the current chair, it'll be no more than 20 feet off the floor!
snow conditions
New borest lift route can be seen here

http://www.funivie.org/mondofuniviario/displayimage.php?pid=9210

it finishes a bit 'higher' up in Colfosco (probably giving direct access to the skiing in Colfosco 'Eldweiss' valley
snow report
albob wrote:
New borest lift route can be seen here

http://www.funivie.org/mondofuniviario/displayimage.php?pid=9210

it finishes a bit 'higher' up in Colfosco (probably giving direct access to the skiing in Colfosco 'Eldweiss' valley

As you say, it looks like the new borest lift delivers riders directly to the Colfosco Edelweiss valley gondola. Very Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 26-06-14 19:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
http://www.funivie.org/cantieri/thumbnails.php?album=330

and that for the pics of the slip.

don't want to scare anyone off, but it was an immense amount of snow this Feb. 3m deep in Arabba. Oh and another landslide/avalanche hit the new Alpenrose lift, but looks like superficial damage to the turnstiles and hut, and would have closed the piste too.

can't find any details about the lift replacements. other than the area near Malga Ciapella getting €2M worth of GasEx avy cannons.
latest report
andy, I was aware of the Malga Ciapella incident - it meant no Marmolada circuit for us this year, but nevermind, it's not like there's nothing else to do. I didn't know about the Colfosco replacement though – should ease the queue at that section at least, so you can stand for longer in the crush at Boe...
latest report
andy, found this on alpinforum:

Re: Neues in Arabba / Marmolada
Beitragvon CV » 15.05.2014 - 14:12

Am Laston die Serauta, jener Lawinenhang, der die Zerstörung der Padon-KSB und SL Arei II verursachte, soll im Sommer mit Gasex-Kanonen ausgestattet werden.
Irgendein neues System (Bel-Ex???), das bisher in Sölden im Einsatz ist.

Die KSB darf dann im Winter wieder in Betrieb gehen.

Sounds like the lift will run 2014/15 Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy