Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pure Gym for skiing related workout.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There's a fairly new Pure Gym near my workplace and, though I've avoided gyms since student days, I'm giving it consideration as part of my prep for next season. Any thoughts or experiences on these gyms, particularly for instructed/supervised free weight sessions or other strength & flexibility based classes they may offer?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't comment on Pure Gym itself, but I do use my local (independent, cheap) gym for exactly what you describe. For something like free weights I like to know I'm doing it properly - not sure if this is a cause or effect of my instructor training! - rather than risking injury, and I find the classes slightly more fun than working out alone. I pay per class rather than having a membership or contract as it works out cheaper for me that way given other commitments.

For plain fitness classes you could try Gym Cube: http://www.gymcube.com/ It's a lot cheaper (and more convenient) than a regular gym and I like the straight forward style of some of the instructors. They have a couple of free taster classes on you tube.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pure Gym's feel more like a training facility, rather than the "club" like feel you get in other gyms.

No reception staff, not really a central area for drinks/food and a coded entry system. It sort of put me off a bit so I use a local DW Gym instead. A bit more money, but it's also got a sauna, steam room and pool.

You pays yer money...........
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Pure Gym's feel more like a training facility, rather than the "club" like feel you get in other gyms.

Sounds like the name is a big hint: it´s a pure gym facility designed to get you to meet your targets, not a "health club" like so many chain gyms.

Oski has in the past few months been going to a similar facility near us http://www.stoneleighfit.com/ with the aim of improving his results in the British Ski & Snowboard´s Athletic Capacity Evaluations: http://www.teambss.org.uk/media/126053/bss%20ace%20profile%20-%20alpine%20ski%20-%20updated%2026%2003%2014.pdf
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use my physio as a personal trainer really - totally about achieving targets. He practices from a small but well equipped gym. It's cheaper than the personal trainer at my big gym.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a mooch around the local Pure Gym, it seemed ok with decent equipment but I wasn't sure about the lack of an induction however I'm sure that when Mrs.HD signed me up there was disclaimer box ticked somewhere along the way.

I've frozen my membership and use the road bike instead now.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers all...

kieranm, agreed, I've done weights at home in the past, well in the garden actually, but think proper guidance would help.

Mosha Marc, they do advertise classes though, and when I called said they had x number of fitness instructors to help. Maybe I need to just give it a go and see how useful they are.

RobW, great find with the Athletic Capacity Evaluations doc! The circuits class I attended earier in the year involved similar exersizes to some of what is on there, and I feel it was great prep for skiing.

holidayloverxx, yep, 1-2-1 coaching is great if you have it available, sounds a good deal you have.

homers double, I'd also prefer to bike outside rathern than inside a gym, so won't be going for the biking/running machines. I do feel bike training alone is insufficient, but that depends what areas you're aiming to improve on.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobW wrote:
Sounds like the name is a big hint: it´s a pure gym facility designed to get you to meet your targets, not a "health club" like so many chain gyms.

In the same way that Ryan Air is a pure air facility?

I'd say it's stripped out staffing costs to keep the overheads down.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW,

I would be totally put off that place by the fact that under 'fitness for all' their headings are sportsmen, young sportsmen etc! Come on guys, this is the 21st century
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy