Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is good snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What is good snow?..

1. What type of snow is best?

2. What amount of snow is good - i'm looking at snow reports and I have no idea what they mean as i have no base figures to compare them to.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1) fresh - fallen within the last 48 hours, say.
2) As much as possible Happy In all honesty it depends on the resort. Rocky resorts like most high french need lots (at least a metre up top and you will still be finding rocks IME) whereas lower down the mountain or less 'mountainous' terrain like most austrian resorts can get by on half that easily...

Take a look at the historical snow reports on iglu for some idea of past figures.

aj xx
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ajhainey, doesn't need to be fresh if you're looking for nice spring snow wink

Nick-o, as ajhainey, suggests, depends where you are. Good snow very much personal opinion provided there's anough - i.e. rocks covered, holes filles in, etc. Some people like 15cm of fresh overnight groomed into lovely soft corduroy, some prefer waist deep champagne powder. I like it all!!

Conditions in Avoriaz are generally considered excellent right now, especially for it's height and the time of year whereas I understand Val d'Isere is still a little disappointing (for it's height and the time of year). Certainly this was the case 2 weeks ago but a week's an awfully short time in the mountains!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Wind is a key factor as well. Strong winds strip snow off exposed areas and drift it into others. Drifted snow can be lovely on lee slopes or thick and slabby on more exposed ones and it plays havoc with how reported snow depths actually translate on the mountain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, Unfortunately when we had the wind it took all the very light (it had been cold) powder into the air and not into any gullies. Sad
ski holidays
 brian
brian
easiski, bummer Sad

You'll need to introduce Deux Alpes to the concept of snow fencing Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, like cairngorm in the 70's? I think I saw some piccies a day or so ago wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, there is a new fence - actually I think they've stolen the Elephant Fence fromt he White Lady and put it on the Breche! Shocked Hasn't helped so far this year though. Actually no sort of fence would have helped. the snow was so light and not compacting at all that it had no chance unless it had been bashed. It really was the real thing!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ajhainey wrote:
1) fresh - fallen within the last 48 hours, say.
2) As much as possible Happy

no there is a limit to how much is OK.

basically when the valley you are in is avalanched off from the world, and no lifts are running, and still putting down 12" per hour, THEN there is too much
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy