Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France:Aravis - Le Grand Bornand /La Clusaz / Manigod-Merdassier - 2013/2014

Poster: A snowHead
So - by popular* demand - the Aravis thread is resurrected for the coming season.

The locals have already been skiing - just search for the thread involving Candide Thovex and a cow! Trouble is, it's all melted again now.

What will the future hold? Will it - as the local papers were claiming the other week - be another vintage year for snow conditions? How will we ever replace Mr Pieholio? Will my dodgy L knee hold out?

You can only learn the answer to these and many other burning questions by following - and contributing to - this thread. Watch this space....

(*well, one snowhead anyway) snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Make that 2 Very Happy Feeling excited Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gvj, kez, 3 and counting!

Hope everyone who would benefit has taken advantage of super discounted season ski passes already, but if not, deadline for moderately discounted season passes is December.
Last year's ski test weekend - first weekend in December - brought pretty spectacular snow conditions so let's hope this year is the same. Such a bargain for a pre-season fix.

Come on the snow!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
loatie, I really do have to get over to LGB this season.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, that would be great - likewise we're due a catch up with the les saisies slopes - especially now it's one of the places we can ski for a one euro ticket included in the lgb season pass.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
loatie, do you have any info on the ski test weekend? - couldn't see it when I last looked at the resort website. Looks like we may not be out until a few days after if it is the first weekend in Dec Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its the 7th and 8th of Dec. Details under "actualities" on the website. Hope you can make it !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excitement mounting here too - heading to Clusaz instead of LGB for a slight change of scene this Christmas. Webcams look good this morning already.... snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christmas lights were going up last week in La Clusaz Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I will be watching with great interest with a few questions along the way.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What a glorious day it looks today from the webcam pics. 6km of Nordique skiing is opening tomorrow at LGB with free access if that is your thing and you happen to be nearby wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
loatie, looks like things are shaping up nicely for your ski test weekend Very Happy
I keep having to convince myself it would be an extremely silly way for me to reintroduce my knee to winter sports, so we arrive the Monday after - to save me from temptation!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gvj, Noooo - come for the weekend - you know it makes sense!! wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
La Balme area opens this weekend
ski holidays
Mr Pieholeo, withdrawal symptoms?
snow report
Lgb opening a few lifts and pistes this weekend for 15 euros. Very Happy
snow conditions
WINTER IN ENGLAND "BLOODY RUBBISH" COMPARED TO FRANCE, NEW STUDY FINDS.
snow conditions
If only I was moving somewhere else that's really close to some ski resorts in the near future, eh readers!

*winky face*
ski holidays
Mr Pieholeo, Puzzled
latest report
Mr Pieholeo, we will miss your on the spot reporting and news of junior pieholeo's progress! Would a snow filled holiday reduce the withdrawal symptoms?
snow report
Yes. Can you put us up?
latest report
Sadly we're full but if you're serious I would recommend l'hotel alpage in chinaillon. You're guaranteed a fabulous welcome and lovely food from the owner Chantal and right opposite the slopes.
snow conditions
Just booked a cheeky 4 nights at the end of January, weighing up Sauze D'Oulx Italy as the main trip in March but couldn't resist going back to LGB
Have people staying out for the whole of January again so just jumping in there
ski holidays
Just back in from day one of ski test weekend. Snow coverage perfectly ok given the amount of snow that has fallen. Lgb does benefit from north facing slopes and mostly only meadows to cover. Even found some off piste which was hardly knee deep powder but made a pleasant change from the pistes. Lots of people enjoying the free skiing and testing some well known and not so well known makes. Lovely atmosphere. Chilly this morning but warmer this pm and blue sky and sunshine all day. All in all a very nice day and looking forward to tomorrow.
ski holidays
loatie, that sounds fun. snowHead
latest report
Arrived in the Aravis on Monday after a 12hr overnight trip down the autoroutes with two dogs, a cat and rather a lot of luggage Lovely and sunny but cold here at present. Like the rest of the Alps, no immediate prospect of any fresh snow. LGB just has Les Gettiers lift open this week as the main focus in the town is on the lycra-clad biatheletes skimming around the Vallee du Bouchet cross country courses in preparation for the World Championships here over the next four days. Meanwhile back down the valley we've introduced our two dogs to next door's goats who seem to spend most of their lives eating our grass. So far it's Labradors - 1; Extremely stubborn local pygmy goats - 1 - not sure who's going to come out on top in the end...
ski holidays
gvj, Glad you arrived safely. See you soon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So, there is still snow in the Aravis. LGB have had several lifts running this weekend and the Chalet de Maroly is open for business. Snow is a mixture of artificial and what they've managed to scape off the surrounding alpages. Not quite as horrid as it sounds; a good, fast base and surprisingly few bare patches. A couple of fresh flakes drifted down yesterday whilst we were out but it was back to wall to wall sunshine this afternoon. Knee survived the experience so looking forward to the season.
latest report
Webcams today indicate a pretty good snowfall overnight and it's continuing to snow at the moment. Maroly and Taverne cam in particular have very encouraging views. Looks like there will be some lovely skiing for anyone arriving for the Christmas week. I'm sure gvj will be along soon to give an on the spot report! Bon ski.
ski holidays
loatie, GVA airport run today, but looking forward +++ to tomorrow, when much more of the resort will be open. Snowing down to 600m I'd say at present. Sticking at about 900m. Should be great on piste over next few days.
snow report
gvj, snowHead snowHead snowHead Have fun!
ski holidays
What a strange first day of the season "proper". A sunny Saturday in a holiday week, fresh snow yesterday...I expected LGB to be rammed with day trippers up from Annecy and GVA. But no, parking was no problem in the morning and we took aged relative up in the Joyere bubble and installed her in the creperie whilst we tried out the snow on that side of the mountain. We saw no one else skiing the whole time we were there..our own private drag and piste - most odd.
In the afternoon ventured to the top of Lachat - they'd opened Piste 2000. Probably would have been better to have kept it closed. Lots of stones, very glad to be on my old skis. Terre Rouge section in good shape though. Few bare patches about but overall very enjoyable. Weather not forecast to be good next couple of days ... Looking forward to more snow on Christmas day; it is needed, it would be nice to get more than 50% of the resort open.
ski holidays
- think I've just worked out how to post images... all quiet on Joyere sector yesterday.
latest report
Very lovely. Hope the forecast is accurate and more snow arrives, although looking at your pic Joyere looks in good shape - but too many people around wink Very Happy
ski holidays
Yesterday was a bit of a write-off here in La Clusaz. Snow was very sketchy and it was raining up until after lunch but that gradually turned to snow which continued through the night and hasn't stopped yet. I'd estimate about 20cm on the deck outside. Guess we'd better get out there.....

[/img]
latest report
MazDave, lovely photo. snowHead
ski holidays
Mazdave Lovely photo - enjoy your skiing - it looks like it will be especially good when the sun comes out for you all. Hope the family are well and you have a great week.
ski holidays
Thanks Tess, was pretty poor visibility today and it's still snowing... Looking forward to the forecast clear weather tomorrow.
Hi to Phil and your family - enjoy the holidays Very Happy
snow conditions
It was, as predicted, absolutely fabulous out there today. Our last ski of the trip but a good day to finish with...

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy