Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jargon busting help please

Poster: A snowHead
I have recently had an instructor in the UK suggest that I work on my "central / peripheral flow" which will help my "core form". Now I don't understand what these are, and he didn't seem to be able to explain it either (which I find a little worrying, but maybe no-one else has been brave enough to ask him to?!). I did grasp that core form isn't anything to do with my body's core but something fundamental to the underpinnings of my technique / lack of it.
I've done a bit of google-digging but haven't found a helpful answer, so I'm asking for the massed brains of the Snowheads for explainations....

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea what those phrases mean.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, at least I'm in good company!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you ask your coach/instructor to explain terms he used during a lesson and he can't, I'd suggest using a different coach/instructor.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haha I love Instructor BS... we Brits are the kings of it!

Rob How do you not know these terms? obviously he was a far superior teacher than you!

I'm gonna take a punt at core form being something like basis techniques of skiing, and that flow thing being changing what you are doing smoothly... sure I have a BASI book lying aroung somewhere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dulcamara wrote:
Rob How do you not know these terms? obviously he was a far superior teacher than you!
Laughing Sadly I've always been hopeless at Bull$hit Bingo.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I hope you told him he was a shite instructor? How does using phrases that neither you nor him understand help you improve your skiing? I'd get a refund.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think (and I may be wrong --- usually am)...

Core Form = Short radius fall line turns

Central and peripheral flow = Central applies to body, peripheral applies to feet and skis.

So -- what I think he/she was asking you to do is to have you upper body flow more or less straight down the hill with you feet and skis crossing under you body and out the side on each turn...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
dulcamara wrote:
Thank goodness!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Too much complication of a simple process. Communication is essential in teaching and that has two parts - transmission and understanding. If the latter does not take place no communication and no teaching has occurred. Report him/her to BASI and asked that at his next refresher he is scrutinised very closely.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skiinghamster, i agree with the suggestions above you get a different instructor
On the whole, people use jargon (odd word combinations, initials, acronyms) to impress and cover up their ingorance.
Anyway, i don't think your instructor was using "jargon" - that was bµllsh!t
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agreed - talking out of his pipe.

An instructors job is to impart information in a way their students can understand clearly and concisely while ensuring their safety.

Sounds like someone who's read a book. They probably didn't understand what they were saying.

Hehe - wonder if they've done an MBA as we'll Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all. ski, that seems quite likely and is something that I have been working on elsewhere, so I'll go with that.

As for those that suggest a change of tutor, we definitely had the "Look, I haven't a clue what you're asking me to do, and how am I expected to do it if you can't/won't explain it to me in a way that I can understand or at least point out good/bad examples on other skiers so I know I'm aiming for/avoiding?" conversation.

In hindsight, it was similar to the situation where you're talking to a gifted mathematician who has been doing complex stuff so long that he can't remember a time when he didn't just inately "get it", and so struggles to grasp that someone may not be seeing it the way they do or have never come across the concept before. Frustrating all round (I could sense that my lack of understanding wasn't expected) and, as you say, not conducive to learning.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure your mathematician analogy stands up skiinghamster, but your ski instructor was spouting crap.

Most people would get lost by such things as "imagine a space" let alone the suggestion that the infinity of even numbers is bigger than the infinity of all numbers... Maths can get so weird that it's beyond the capability of words to adequately describe it.

Skiing however shouldn't other than boxer changing moments.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AsterixTG wrote:

Hehe - wonder if they've done an MBA as well Laughing

crying laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
skiinghamster wrote:
I have recently had an instructor in the UK suggest that I work on my "central / peripheral flow" which will help my "core form". Now I don't understand what these are, and he didn't seem to be able to explain it either (which I find a little worrying, but maybe no-one else has been brave enough to ask him to?!). I did grasp that core form isn't anything to do with my body's core but something fundamental to the underpinnings of my technique / lack of it.
I've done a bit of google-digging but haven't found a helpful answer, so I'm asking for the massed brains of the Snowheads for explainations....

Many thanks

Simple this means I don't know how to help you improve, fancy words though will make it all seem it is your fault not mine so you will continue booking with me in the vain hope you will improve and hey who knows after I have read a few dozen more books I may accidently stumble on a solution.

Agree with others above an instructor should be able to explain what they are saying in plain terms, and if need be demonstrate it to you.
snow conditions
Was the instructor wearing a Snow Sport England badge ? wink
ski holidays
I don't recall any badges, but no-one else at the place wears badges either. Do SSE use a different "vocabulary" to BASI skimottaret, ?
snow conditions
skiinghamster, In my experience they tend to be much more technical when assessing aspirant instructors and I am assuming that rubs off and colours how they teach clients.

Feedback during an SSE assessment "When skiing parallel you often set off in a traverse, seeking the target amplitude before developing sufficient flow. This disrupted arc continuity."

Dear oh Dear
snow report
And I thought I can be a bit wordy! Madeye-Smiley

I don't mind technical, in fact I like to know what, why and how, but I do have a need to _understand_. (I suspect those things are linked).
latest report
Same here, have a read of this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31885
snow report
I have recently found the 'one word school of teaching' very beneficial. wink My word is 'ankles'. I understand that 'zipper' is also a popular word...
snow report
Pedantica, cake.
snow report
'Just do it' also works.
snow conditions
Quote:

Feedback during an SSE assessment "When skiing parallel you often set off in a traverse, seeking the target amplitude before developing sufficient flow. This disrupted arc continuity."

HAHAHA... Instructors really can be tools!

We (me, actual clever people and Richard Dawkins) call this physics envy, what you are explaining in inherently simple so you use long words to make your job sound harder!

That said i have been asked by a student to explain parallel, there are limits at the other end of the spectrum wink
ski holidays
And I thought I can be a bit wordy! Madeye-Smiley

I don't mind technical, in fact I like to know what, why and how, but I do have a need to _understand_. (I suspect those things are linked). Ho hum.
ski holidays
Argh! Cross-post. I meant the SSE excerpt was wordy notdulcamara, wink
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Same here, have a read of this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31885
Shame the author lost interest:
Quote:
INITIATION - TBD
wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, It can take a while to be at the point where "action" words have real meaning to the student, but as you have had a lot of coaching it was about time we distilled things.... Me, I sadly have had to go back to two words as I suck in multiple ways... My new ones are Drive and Level , Zip wasn't working...
snow report
skimottaret,
Quote:

I sadly have had to go back to two words as I suck I multiple ways
Well, if you now need two, I need the whole bloody lexicon! Twisted Evil But I like distilled things, be they words or beverages.
snow report
Yes, these are Snowsport England terms, so I'm guessing the instructor using them has been trained through that system. As a Snowsport England (and BASI) instructor I think I understand them pretty well, but I'd never use them with a client as they are far too technical and have next to no meaning to anyone who hasn't been trained as a SSE instructor. BASI isn't immune to this, and has its own jargon - having being trained in both I have to try and remember which jargon to use depending on which system is being discussed. Fundamentally they're all talking about the same things, as the skis and physics don't know what words you're using. Although this instructor was clearly using them in the wrong context, there are times when having a precise technical description of something is useful.

"Central peripheral flow" is a rather fancy way of saying your skis travel further than your body around the turns, so your body can be quiet and go (roughly) straight while your legs and skis go to either side and move underneath you. Angular and rotational separation would be another wordy way of describing this.

"Core form skiing" is in general less well defined, and I've pulled trainers up on this in the past to try and get a good definition. It is again a technical term that, I think, tries to capture a whole range of different things into one short label, but is probably widely misunderstood as a result and I avoid using it altogether due to this. I think I'd translate it as "performance skiing", or just "skiing well". I.e. an instructor's own level of skiing, rather than trying to demonstrate something more basic such as snowplough or skidded parallel turns. It doesn't apply to just short-radius turns as someone else suggested. There's a kind-of definition in here: http://www.snowsportwales.net/Level%201%20instructor%20resource%20pack%20revised%20sept%2008%20v3.pdf

An instructor who hasn't got a lot of experience will sometimes end up being overly technical and overly wordy - I've certainly been guilty of this - but in my experience SSE do try to encourage students to be clear, non-technical and jargon-free in their teaching. There is I think more focus in the SSE system about how to teach and how to deliver a good lesson than the BASI one, but this will I expect vary from club to club.

Quote:

Dear oh Dear

In defence of this - I was the recipient of this feedback - it was completely accurate and I understood what they were saying. A good instructor will adapt their terms and language to the student and the context. As I understood it, and the context was written feedback after an instructor training course where that kind of vocabulary is expected to be understood, it did the job. For the avoidance of doubt, I wouldn't have been so technical, and wouldn't use such terms with any of my clients as it would never be understood. The danger of using terms like this in instructor training is that not everyone will realise they can't use those terms with clients.

It's a bit disappointing that when challenged the instructor couldn't explain what they wanted to in terms you did understand. I expect/hope this is just lack of experience.
snow conditions
main thing i have taken away from this post is that there is a seperate SSE instructor qualification... who knew!
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
But I like distilled things, be they words or beverages.

This made me LOL Laughing Laughing
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
dulcamara wrote:

Referred to in some industries as "wank speak". It seems to bear cross-sector translation IMV.... Toofy Grin
latest report
A BASI example I saw last week from an experienced L2 giving a lesson to some relative beginners (plough-parallel standard) when trying to assess their level at the start asked one to do "short-radius turns". There was a pause, and an enquiring look from the student, and I'd bet this wasn't a term they knew, but they didn't directly ask for clarification.
snow report
is "short radius turns" really comparable to "seeking the target amplitude before developing sufficient flow. This disrupted arc continuity" and ""central / peripheral flow" which will help my "core form"

one is pretty self explanatory to me (its a turn where the radius is shorter), the other two constitute a complete row in büllsh1t bingo!
latest report
Thanks for the snowsports Wales link and other information. I know a few instructors and I've never heard them obfuscating with jargon, although I'm sure it happens. I'd have thought anyone with a science background would laugh out loud at this sort of thing.

The Snowsports Wales reference says: "Smooth, continuous turning is often called core form skiing." For reasons I can't fathom they don't go on to say that using such jargon would be counter productive to teaching anyone anything.
snow conditions
dulcamara, no, they're not equivalent, just different examples. Remember though that the "seeking the target amplitude..." one was perfectly well understood by the student whereas I suspect the "short radius" one was not. In that respect one was clearly worse than the other. I expect short radius is self explanatory to you as its a term you've heard before or had explained when it was first used. I remember having to get it explained when it was first used on me, and I wouldn't use it with a beginner. A lot of children for example who would be at that standard wouldn't even know what the word radius means. I've seen instructors struggling with very young children because the children don't know what "left" and "right" are. My whole point is that you have to adapt the language to the audience and sometimes things like "central peripheral flow" or "short-radius turns" or "turn left" will be appropriate and other times they won't.
snow report
That's a fair point, but what is "seeking the target aplitude" anyways?
ski holidays
This is all a case of words that a quite acceptable in one context being used in another where they aren't. Not just limited to Snowsports - but we do seem to have a billion ways to describe a turn !

kieranm, Thanks for the clarification Very Happy

Like you I have BASI and SSE badges in a variety of colours, and I've enjoyed the coaching and learning opportunities provided by both Very Happy

Please (everyone else) don't run away with the idea that SSE qualified folk will drown you in technical speak --- in my experience that's very far from the case.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy