Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets or Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I'm looking at February half term next year. We are a family of 4 - 2 kids aged 10 and 8 1st skiing holiday.

I am looking at Morzine or Les Gets.

My first thoughts was Morzine, but reading more reviews I'm heading towards Les Gets, has anybody been to both ?

Not only looking at the ski slopes, but what the town also offers ?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oliver8, what are you looking for? Les Gets is more compact and perhaps more family oriented. Morzine is more spread out, bigger and offers more in the way of lively "apres ski". With small kids I'd personally prefer Les Gets - and ski lessons with one of the small ski schools. There are some people on snowheads who know Les Gets very well and can recommend ski schools and advise on accommodation.

Both resorts are likely to be hyper-busy at half term.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi pam, ideally I want everything, I'm after idyllic scenery, good slopes wii be practicing on dry slopes before we go ( I know it won't be the same, but to pick the basics up). Would also like an ice rink, restaurants when away from the slopes or want an afternoon off.
I'm looking at peak retreats for the accommodation, but would welcome any recommendations.
I've picked up it's going to super hyper busy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oliver8, lessons on a dry slope are a very good idea if you re keen - much better if you don't have to be in the very beginner class out in the mountains.

The scenery in that area, like most ski areas, is lovely - but I wouldn't describe it as idyllic. If you want idyllic you have to go to the Dolomites! wink I think you can ice-skate in both, though Morzine is probably best from that point of view. Plenty of restaurants for a week's holiday in both resorts, though bigger and more sophisticated choice in Morzine, no doubt.

However, the key thing with kids is often convenience - how close to the slopes/ski school meeting place will your accommodation be? Trying to get everybody dressed and equipped and to ski lessons can be quite a struggle, especially first time round. The Peak Retreats Morzine accommodation seems to require the use of a ski bus - not ideal, really.

Personally, for a family holiday I would choose Les Gets over Morzine.

Will you be driving out?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like we will be driving, but I'm keeping an eye on the flights when they are released, to see how much they are.

Going off the original subject now. Which resort in France would be the perfect idyllic scenery wise, picturesque, slopes for beginners, enough après ski for adults and children, don't want it too quiet, plenty of things happening around the resort.

I read reviews regarding Saint Martin de Belleville, that sounds impressive.

Basically I'm spoilt for choice, too many to choose from !!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oliver8, I spent the last 2 family ski holidays in Les Gets, I too have an 8 and 10 yr old. Les Gets is just about perfect for a family ski holiday. Great area, good nursery area, lovely little town, good ski schools. You won t need the PdS pass, the local Morzine - Les Gets is more than enough. Normally this is discounted if you get it early. Plenty of rental shops that are on the front by the lift so you can normally leave your skis and boots there rather than lug them back to the hotel if you re not ski in/out. Ecole ski 360 i can recommend for lessons, friendly bunch and easy to deal with beforehand.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to both and would say Les Gets is probably better with kids. If you drive you always have the option of going over to Morzine/Avoriaz for the day. We have used LGS and Ecole 360 for the kids, I preferred LGS myself as ecole 360 'lost' our booking and the instructor my then 4 year old son had was less that child friendly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Oliver8
user

Hi pam, ideally I want everything, I'm after idyllic scenery, good slopes wii be practicing on dry slopes before we go ( I know it won't be the same, but to pick the basics up). Would also like an ice rink, restaurants when away from the slopes or want an afternoon off.
I'm looking at peak retreats for the accommodation, but would welcome any recommendations.
I've picked up it's going to super hyper busy

I took the family to Les Gets last year, I loved it so much I took the lads there for the boys trip this year and we had a great time.

Idyllic?....IMO you are hard pushed to find more beautiful resorts outside of the PdS but it is personal opinion and I am sure there are loads that are equally as nice but I have not found any that are nicer. The PdS area is vast but if you are learning then the local area will be more than enough. It has beautiful tree line settings and most of the towns/villages are traditional Savoyard type settings.

For kids it was fantastic, when my 9 year old son twisted his knee (being a prat) I took him up the bubble lift to an area where they have a sledging only run for kids. They also have a really good area where you can ski down a green through an indian/cowboy setting, hit bells with the poles on the way through etc. My daughter really missed that when we went to Tignes this year.

There are a couple of fantastic restaurants, Le Tyrol was particularly good with an outstanding 600g steak that just about beat all of us. We also found several very lively and very late bars that kept us up until 4am a couple of nights, with the kids last year we never used them obviously. We have never really found places quite that lively on our lads trips in Jan/Feb that were not completely male dominated with smelly teenagers still wearing their ski gear. Maybe we were lucky and stumbled across a few of the local haunts where the gap students hung out but it kept a group of old fogies going longer than we should have Smile

We are already booking for next year as we love it so much.

It will be busy half term, mainly the morning lift queues will be heaving but as long as you stand your ground or stand on the skis of the kids pushing it will be fairly painless I expect. I always go out of School term as it is much nicer when it is half empty but that is not always an option, my school is pretty good and sees a week in France as educational and even if they didn't I would take the £100 fine to save £2-3K on the additional holiday cost.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As soon as your kids can do a blue you can link both resorts anyway. We take our 3 year old from Chavannes in Les Gets to the bottom of Pointe de Nyon in Morzine for lunch - via easy blue runs.

But for lessons and beginners area you're better off in Les Gets imho. Your kids might be too old for the Indian village and Milka-themed slopes (my son obviously loves that kind of things) but if they've just started it's the best place to build confidence while concentrating on the surroundings rather than looking down at your planks! Make them try to hit the bell, etc.

As for the resort itself, Les Gets is smaller but it means you walk everywhere. In Morzine I have to drive around...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy