Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recomendations for 5th April

Poster: A snowHead
I am fairly new to ski holidays although do ski quite a bit at a local dry slope.

The only holiday we can get together as a family will be 5th April for a week but I am getting very confused over where to go for some reasonable guaranteed snow. I had one holiday many years ago in Austria late in the season where there was no snow! 18 hours on a coach and spent the week walking which was a nightmare.

I have been trawling posts and various sites but get very conflicting info so thought I would come here to the experts (creep creep)

Any suggestions?

Current possibilities seem to be
Val Thorns / Tignes / Val D'Isere / Chamonix?
Riksgransen / Are
Zermatt / Saas Fee
Livigno / Passo Tonale
Hintertux / Obergurgl / Ischgl

Are there any others, or perhaps some I have mentioned that arent any good.

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you delay booking until nearer the time? This will allow you to check snow reports and weather forecasts. If not, go high. There are loads of resorts around 1800-2200. I have not been to any of the resorts you mention so cant help there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=109178

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=109031
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sazmo, I have skied in lots of different resorts across Europe at this time of year. I have had brilliant trips (-1) - but I have generally chosen high snow sure resorts that have plenty of north facing slopes. I have skied Tignes, Val D'Isere, Chamonix, Zermatt, Hintertux, St Anton, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Verbier, Flaine, St Foy and others, around this time of year. If you want top class snow assured piste skiing then Tignes is very hard/impossible to beat. It has 2.3m of snow at the top at the moment. This is likely to increase by then. Espace Killy is vast. If you want top class skiing spring skiing and are not bothered about the architecture and ambience then give Tignes a go. It is one of the most snow-sure places anywhere in Europe.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sazmo, much of the skiing in Chamonix isn't particularly high.

There are a number of good possibilities but it would help to know a bit more about what sort of things are important to you - apart from snow! What sort of accommodation, do you want ski in/out, do you want lessons, are you bothered about "apres ski", are you looking to book a holiday with a tour operator or put a package together for yourself - booking flights, and then accommodation separately. Doing that can make it easier to make the resort choice later - there's no telling, at the moment, what the conditions are going to be like in early April - that's a month away.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just booked a family half price deal to Les Arcs with Ski Olympic for 6th April - high, North facing and plenty of snow depth already ...... it'll be great.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PBJ, that sounds terrific - and a good deal. Ski Olympic always get good reports on snowheads - though my own experience was long ago.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sazmo, We have been to Are (in Sweden) quite a few times, but to be honest, it's not looking like a classic season snow wise this year because they haven't had a decent dump to get a good base together, though they do have plenty of cannons.

Riksgransen has a limited amount of skiing, but the season doesn't end until I think late may or june or something, and it does have some charm, but it may be a bit limiting if your not into Scandi culture and things.

Val Thorens is very high and there is plenty to go at in the three valleys, and as mentioned, Tignes is high and snowsure.

Just to make it a little harder, I would recommend Yllas in Finland. Reasonable family ski resort, usually pretty quiet, and the possibility of the northern lights. We went last year late march and it was great, although we spent half the week cross country skiing.

It all depends on your families level of skiing. If you are all intermediates then you are probably best with VT or Tignes, but if you are a mix of new or fairly new skiers, I think Yllas will suit you well.

Hope you find something good.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 7-03-14 11:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sazmo, if you like the odd glass of wine or beer I would be careful about Sweden.

I've been skiing early April since the early 1990s, and always had a good time.
Nendaz/Verbier, Chamonix, Courmayeur, Saas Fee, La Plagne, Val d'Isere, Whistler.
Weather can be anything from warm with clear blue Spring skies to mid-winter blizzards
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

it's not looking like a classic season snow wise this year because they haven't had a decent dump to get a good base together

Is that really true? I know coverage is patchy throughout the Alps but I thought that part of the world was doing quite well. See Meteo France http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/les-arcs-bourg-st-maurice/730541

135 cms at base? Sounds fine.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, I was talking about Are, in Sweden. Not France. Check Skistar website, (snow reports 2014 passim)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thecramps, Oh sorry, that was dopey of me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, No probs, I don't know how to do the A in Are with the little round thingy on the top.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Å. If this works I have found the answer, copy and paste. Doh. rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike-H wrote:
Can you delay booking until nearer the time? This will allow you to check snow reports and weather forecasts. If not, go high. There are loads of resorts around 1800-2200. I have not been to any of the resorts you mention so cant help there.

Yes I can.
I have been leaving it, but now starting to panic as under 4 weeks to go. Guess I could cope with waiting another couple of weeks.
snow report
JayDub wrote:
sazmo, I have skied in lots of different resorts across Europe at this time of year. I have had brilliant trips (-1) - but I have generally chosen high snow sure resorts that have plenty of north facing slopes. I have skied Tignes, Val D'Isere, Chamonix, Zermatt, Hintertux, St Anton, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Verbier, Flaine, St Foy and others, around this time of year. If you want top class snow assured piste skiing then Tignes is very hard/impossible to beat. It has 2.3m of snow at the top at the moment. This is likely to increase by then. Espace Killy is vast. If you want top class skiing spring skiing and are not bothered about the architecture and ambience then give Tignes a go. It is one of the most snow-sure places anywhere in Europe.

Sounds ideal, will take a look
snow report
pam w wrote:
sazmo, much of the skiing in Chamonix isn't particularly high.

There are a number of good possibilities but it would help to know a bit more about what sort of things are important to you - apart from snow! What sort of accommodation, do you want ski in/out, do you want lessons, are you bothered about "apres ski", are you looking to book a holiday with a tour operator or put a package together for yourself - booking flights, and then accommodation separately. Doing that can make it easier to make the resort choice later - there's no telling, at the moment, what the conditions are going to be like in early April - that's a month away.

Catered chalet would be my prefered option.
Ski in and out is great but not essential.
No apres ski required , always too tired
Really dont mind if tour operator or booked seperately.
snow conditions
sazmo, given your flexibility a "last minute booking" might make sense. It's so difficult to know at this stage what conditions will be like almost a month later.
snow report
Can't help but recommend Montgenevre. It has great snow now, a good record, and with a village at 1860m no problems skiing back. It's a very family friendly resort as well. It's covered by the big TOs and some small independents.
latest report
sazmo,

This is a very useful tool. Irrespective of the (not unusual) warm spell evidence suggests that all should be good in Tignes.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/historical/snowreport.aspx?resort=Tignes&swqsResortGo=Go#.UxoVghybWnk

Self-catering option is the cheaper option. Checkout the various Tignes websites. Eurostar is a very good way of getting down but it is probably much too late to get a decent price now. Maybe drive down and load the car with as much of the essentials as you can take. The Tignes shops tend to stock the largest and most expensive bottles of olive oil, washing up liquid and such like. The drive is no drama, just miss the obvious transfer times.
latest report
sazmo, no probs, my pleasure
snow report
sazmo, Cervinia seems to have very good snow depths..

What kind of skiing do you want? good wide pistes, knarly off piste??? A bit of everything??
ski holidays
If you want to ski Hintertux be aware that it's snowbombing festival in Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
sazmo, i sympathise. I can still remember those first few seasons, surrounded by brochures and books (pre-internet), and drowning in a sea of resort names and statistics.
In the end you've just got to make a choice and live with it.
For our first Easter/April ski trip (early 1990s) we were advised Nendaz - we'd never heard of it, but turned out to be fine, and went back the next 3 years.
Have since moved on to La Plagne.
(if you leave it much later the choice might well be made for you as availability declines.)
ski holidays
5th of April I'd go for Val Thorens or Tignes. Last season on the EOSB, VT had great snow until May. Plenty enough for us, and enough to head into the other valleys before they closed.
snow conditions
HoneyBunny, +1. Those are both of the resorts I have chosen for April!
snow report
With a 10 year old we dont want too much off piste. Just a choice of fairly standard pistes would do us just fine.
latest report
So just made my booking for Tignes on 5th April. Really struggled to get accomodation for 3 people. Loads available on the sites but when I called they were always sold out!! Wish these agents were more honest.
So loads of questions about Tignes to follow
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sazmo, There's a big dump this weekend throughout most of the alps. Anywhere will be good this easter.

Me................. I'm going to Lech 6th April. snowHead
ski holidays
sazmo,

Book much earlier next year!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy