Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski gear for warm weather

Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from a fab week in Les Gets, but the end of the week was very warm and the kids and husband boiled alive in their jackets. I'm always cold, so not a problem for me

What do you recommend to ski in when it's warm? Soft shells? Standard pac-a-mac stuff? I'm not keen the kids ski in t-shirts because they're still quite little.

I'm planning an eBay or similar trawl before we go at Easter next year, so and brands etc to look out for would be great too.

Many thanks
S
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Soft shell or light windproof. I often ski in just a long sleeved base layer. Touring pants are a god send on hot days.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a similar problem because as a female at that time of life I always seem to over heat. Pants aren't a problem so I wear two light layers on top. I wear lidl layers, a base layer and a light soft shell jacket seems to do the trick for me. Some days I ski just wearing the base layer on top and carry a second layer in my backpack. My husband thinks I am nuts though.z Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My trousers and jacket are both shells with no insulation. I've a selection of different weight base layers (mainly merino) and mid layers which I mix and match depending on conditions. I've also just bought a pair of light spring gloves for the next trip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been thinking about this too - just invested in a softshell, just in case the warmer weather means it's too hot for my normal jacket. My gloves do look huge though when I've got it on!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
swoafs, you don't give details of what your kids and husband wear under their jacket.
If it was just one layer, then you do have a problem.
Lots of kids ski with their jacket undone
Not really worth getting any more ski gear for the kids.
For hubby, then shell jacket and layers is the way to go.

You are right not to ski in just a t-shirt - that seemingly soft snow can really cut you up if you fall over on it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B wrote:
My trousers and jacket are both shells with no insulation. I've a selection of different weight base layers (mainly merino) and mid layers which I mix and match depending on conditions. I've also just bought a pair of light spring gloves for the next trip.

Is it just me - I have been trying to buy a soft shell jacket but find they are all tight around the chest and very narrow in the arm.

If I try a bigger size than I usually wear the sleeves are too long.

Can anybody recommend asupplier ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
codyaitch, try Patagonia.

OP, non-insulated outer layers are the way to go. Standard tshirt underneath is fine; thin merino or belly hansen style thermal underneath is better.

Probably not worth investing in expensive shells for the kids (maybe find a cheap soft-shell though) if they're still growing. Standard pac-a-mac type waterproof would probably work, but unlikely to be very breathable...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting, altis:
Guinness World Record for The largest swimwear parade on skis snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
codyaitch, mine is Arcteryx, and fits fine, but then i am rather puny .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
codyaitch wrote:
Claude B wrote:

Is it just me - I have been trying to buy a soft shell jacket but find they are all tight around the chest and very narrow in the arm.

If I try a bigger size than I usually wear the sleeves are too long.

Can anybody recommend a supplier?

Try skogstaad.co.uk
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpin, I'm afraid they only wear one layer under - the thinnest thermal I could find, and they were both skiing with their jackets partly open. Child1 was even lucky enough to have pit zips (wonderful Dare2b top of the range bargain from ebay). Helmets don't help I don't think (although both have vents in theirs).

Pac-a-macs sound a great option - we'd have those anyway so no extra cost.

Might be worth investing in a good shell for Husband but I will take note of the comments re soft-shell fit; he's not, erm, skinny Blush
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My kids tend to wear tshirt and softshell (speed freak 10 yo skier) or tshirt or undone Westbeach lightly insulated jacket (14yo snowboarder) when its warm. For big people Claude B has it right, my jacket is a hardshell and have a selection of Aldi, Icebreaker and Smartwool to go under it. Warm spring day and it'll be a thin aldi merino tshirt, depths of winter 3 or 4 layers of heavier weight stuff.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
codyaitch wrote:
Can anybody recommend asupplier ?

I've had a Flylow softshell for a few years, easily been the best skiing jacket I've ever had, could try them?
ski holidays
ScarpaTheAvalanchePoodle wrote:
Soft shell or light windproof. I often ski in just a long sleeved base layer. Touring pants are a god send on hot days.

Or maybe just a Snowheads buff or 2
ski holidays

Or maybe just a Snowheads buff or 2
snow report
Jake43, That will be tomorrow. The photo's will be up, also on the ski4cancer page Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Worth remembering a hydration system if its really warm and dry, to prevent excessive tiredness.
snow conditions
Quote:

hydration system

i miss the days of water bottles
latest report
I was going to start this thread.I have been sking twice.Once when it was around -5 and again when it was around 15 and both times i have been way too warm.If it was possible i would have skied in a t-shirt even when it's below zero.I ditched the thermals and only wore a t-shirt under my ski coat.I had the coat unzipped and i didn't wear a hat yet the sweat was flying off me.Being too warm has been the worst thing about sking for me.
ski holidays
I also use an Arcteryx soft shell in warm weather - vey pleased with it.
ski holidays
On all but the coldest sub-zero days I just ride in a hoodie (and varying layers of thermals), same as in a dome. As long as the extremities are warm and you keep moving then it's fine Smile Big ski and snowboard jackets are really cumbersome if you're not used to them!

On the other hand, I can see that for little ones or if you're away from somewhere within easy reach to leave your jacket etc if you need it then it's not that simple.
snow report
One important item for Warm Weather was mentioned by 2waterford: The Backpack.
The place to put stuff you (and your kids) take off
Or the place to put replacement kit - sometimes better to change an item rather than just take it off.
ski holidays
The last few days in Les Gets I've skied in a singlet (strappy vest) with a softshell over the top. Late morning it's been warm enough for me to take my jacket and helmet off on the lifts and work on my tan.
snow report
Quechua do good value softshells. Fit didn't appear quite as "athletic" as my Arcteryx.
snow conditions
MM&I, I think you and I have come across each other before on another forum; too small a world that there is a Les Gets connection too because that's where we were (getting too hot) last week! Hope the snow is holding up OK for you. If I've got the right person then you've got littlies too; where do you stay / which company do you use for any childcare needs?

Jonpim; yes, the backpack is indeed invaluable - as are those folding water pouch thingys. Much better than trying to clean a 10 year old proper hydration system which is only used once a year and left to gather slime the rest of the time Toofy Grin
ski holidays
FullyTucked wrote:
I was going to start this thread.I have been sking twice.Once when it was around -5 and again when it was around 15 and both times i have been way too warm.If it was possible i would have skied in a t-shirt even when it's below zero.I ditched the thermals and only wore a t-shirt under my ski coat.I had the coat unzipped and i didn't wear a hat yet the sweat was flying off me.Being too warm has been the worst thing about sking for me.

Beginner skiers and (especially) snowboarders burn huge amounts of energy and get a lot hotter than more experienced skiers. With time you'll probably find you don't get as hot.

Judging what to wear to avoid being too hot or cold can be hard. I tend to err on the side of too cold because the cold doesn't bother me too much but it's not something you want to get significantly wrong. I'm going snowboarding in April and have just got my first soft shell - really looking forward to using it because I find a normal jacket warm at the best of times and things could get a bit toasty if I don't wear something lighter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lovely warm day today at Le Tour. Very comfortable in Columbia soft shell trousers, and arctrex soft shell top. My helmet is way too warm for this weather, ducks and runs.
snow report
Handy thread as we are off at easter so expecting it to be warm !

Last time we had soft shell jackets but way too hot in sallopettes.
Not sure what touring pants are but will have a look.

Having raced motorbikes off road I have several pairs of enduro / motorcross gloves, which are cloth backed with soft leather palms and fingers.
The best bit is that the "sides" of the fingers are a holey material so air can circulate thro them, especially once moving. Really good for skiing.

We also took backpacks with layers in, lucky as we were caught in a brief snow fall miles from the chalet, plus as you move around the mountains, you may have colder higher winds on some faces as opposed to others.

My sons rugby teamscwind cheater wasbperfect for him.
snow report
Well the other day we skied in swimming shorts and bikinis as part of the charity event. Surprisingly comfortable, even at full pelt in the shade Cool
ski holidays
Well the other day we skied in swimming shorts and bikinis as part of the charity event. Surprisingly comfortable, even at full pelt in the shade Cool

That post is useless without pictures Toofy Grin
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/c9VOjwb1tQ4

http://youtube.com/v/CQnRvM5pj6c
snow report
Mountain Warehouse have some good offers on Softshell jackets at the moment
snow report
Iski wrote:

That post is useless without pictures Toofy Grin

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=109168&start=80

There is also a whole video Laughing http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=109482
snow report
swoafs, are you still on the other forum? PM me through there if you like. Would be a pity if I miss you last week!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy